Very long shot .

Ultrastu

November 2, 2018

Had a great day today. 

Blew off work to go shoot all day with my mate. 

First up the woods with the airguns after squirrels and jds. Had a few .

Then down onto the open farm land this afternoon with my mates new hmr and me with my. 25 cal fx .

First a zero check for the hmr at 100 yds and me at 50 for the airgun .spot on .

Then we placed targets from 75 out to 200 to see how the hmr performed for accuracy and impact. .

Steel plates. Melons .peppers .and the fave -Coke cans .

Mate connected nicely with most targets even out to 200 exploding a can of coke lovely .

I hit a couple of cans at 100 yds. 

Which as the wind dropped was pretty easy .i then tried for a can at 150 yds 

Found the aim point in chairgun for 150 yds and smashed the can second try. .

I then went on to repeat it a couple of times .i then tried a 175 yd can but i had to wind my mag down to 7 x to get a 175 aim point at the bottom of the ret. Which was just too hard to see the can properly .so i gave up on that .

But im well chuffed with the fx at 150 yds a can is only about  3 x 4 inches .

15 fpe of energy at 150 is still a lot .

Cheers stu

So this is a direct quote from a previous thread.

NOW tell us, honestly, that that shot on the rabbit was ethical !!!

A tin can is a static inert object,,,, 3"x4" apparently, and it took two shots just to hit it !!!??? 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/07/2019 at 00:40, Ultrastu said:

Ive consistently shot coke cans at 150 yds before .knowing the exact aim point to use and mag etc .

The shot taken above wasnt a guess in terms of trajectory .or the guns ability to hit the required kill zone group dispersion  .or in terms of enough  remaining energy .

The only element in question was my ability to  hold the gun steady enough  and for me to read the hold off for the wind .something i practice and am not too terrible at .

Yes there was an element of luck but there was the rabbit i came for at a range that i knew was possible and the conditions were acceptable .

I stand by my shot .its not every day a rabbit sits exactly by the tree you know is spot on 150 yds and youve been practicing 150 yds .

3 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

You know you can't make the shot nine times out of ten by your own admission.

Who are we to judge whether hes capable of making the shot 9/10 ?

He says he was confident of making the shot, is he lying ?

5 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

NO 

Im in a world of airguns.(and not alone - far from it, its very well populated im pleased to say ) 

And im pioneering  nothing .im only following what others have done before me .trying to catch up .

There will always be people who try to drag others back down their own  level .its based in fear .

I

As has been said,,,, you're delusional to the extreme,,,, IMHO.

Take a look at paragraph 8 of your opening post,,,, it was all quesswork !!!!

The gun might be extremely accurate, but...

8 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Where has anyone judged him on being successful 9/10 ?

You keep bringing up this ratio, which isn't acceptable on live quarry when you KNOW that you might miss, or injure.

By his own admission it was quesswork and a poor shot, being lucky to even hit, let alone kill the rabbit !!!

On 11/07/2019 at 20:18, Ultrastu said:

Thanks .yes they are .

If im being totally honest  id say i had a 50 /50 chance of making that shot.

Not the best odds granted .but .is that too low to be ethical ?? Ive missed sitters with different guns which should have been a dead cert .so we can all make mistakes ..show me someone who says they dont miss .and i will show you someone who doesnt shoot very much .

14 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

He says himself he can't. 

50/50 is 5/10.

Edited by ClemFandango

1 minute ago, JKD said:

Where has anyone judged him on being successful 9/10 ?

'You overestimate yourself and your equipment and as a result take irresponsible shots you even admit that you know before you even squeeze the trigger you have a low chance of making a humane kill. '

'OP is an idiot.'

'As has been said,,,, you're delusional to the extreme,,,, IMHO.'

7 minutes ago, JKD said:

You keep bringing up this ratio, which isn't acceptable on live quarry when you KNOW that you might miss, or injure.

So your hit rate is better than 90% ?
What we talking 95 , a 100 % , you NEVER miss or wound ?

7 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

He says himself he can't. 

As above , you never miss too ?

My hit rate or anyone elses has nothing to do with it really. 

Ultrastu knew he had a low chance of making the shot and proved it by missing. 

Then he opened up himself for discussion/criticism by boasting about it on here. 

It was a series of poor decisions from start to finish and any effort to justify it is clutching at straws really. 

I accept that nobody is perfect and that mere fact should mean that before we stretch the abilities of ourselves, or our kit to prove some stupid point about how great a rifle or tool is maybe we should think twice. 

Then when it goes wrong maybe posting it on a social media site like this is the wrong thing to do. 

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

'You overestimate yourself and your equipment and as a result take irresponsible shots you even admit that you know before you even squeeze the trigger you have a low chance of making a humane kill. '

'OP is an idiot.'

'As has been said,,,, you're delusional to the extreme,,,, IMHO.'

So your hit rate is better than 90% ?
What we talking 95 , a 100 % , you NEVER miss or wound ?

As above , you never miss too ?

We are not discussing 'our' shooting abilities, which is plainly obvious.

The OP put up a post with so many flaws in it,,,, we are questioning His abilities,,,, not his guns, or other equipment,,,, the flesh behind the trigger 🤔

I too shoot pests etc, with airguns only, but don't feel the need to post everything I do or discover with my improving shooting skills. I'm happy in my skin, and more than happy with my shooting.

4 minutes ago, JKD said:

We are not discussing 'our' shooting abilities, which is plainly obvious.

:lol:

No , you are judging someone elses, with no real knowledge of them.

5 minutes ago, JKD said:

I too shoot pests etc, with airguns only, but don't feel the need to post everything I do or discover with my improving shooting skills. I'm happy in my skin, and more than happy with my shooting.

I would be if I never missed too :whistling:

Clemfandang. .Jkd.

What is it that has upset you both so much ? Think hard first before your initial response .im genuinely interested .

Second your shooting is in question very much so. 

Your taking. .taking without giving .your trying to pull me(and others ) down ,but give nothing in return to justify your position or opinion .your position is safe behind your keyboard .and without giving anything cant be questioned .

Unfortunately for you that makes your position weak and without any credability and as such means your words are largely  ignored as baseless .

If you want more clout to your words you have to give. 

With out it .your only ever a troll .

Its how conversations have worked for thousands of years. 

6 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

:lol:

No , you are judging someone elses, with no real knowledge of them.

I would be if I never missed too :whistling:

I'm certainly not judging anything /anyone,,,, just discussing the issues. As has been said numerous times, it's a forum etc....

As I said, I don't feel the need to put my life, or any part of it, up on the Internet.

Ultrastu

Many of the PW members know that you are an air gun buff and that you know your stuff. I believe that you did everything right to bring off that shot. The mistake you made was to post about it as it brought out the self righteous on the forum who have obviously never missed or wounded any quarry in their sporting lives.

Just now, JKD said:

I'm certainly not judging anything /anyone,,,,

Yeah whatever :lol:

1 minute ago, JKD said:

As I said, I don't feel the need to put my life, or any part of it, up on the Internet.

But its OK to cast shade on those who do ?
Your speed to judge someone else puts your personality right out there,

1 minute ago, JDog said:

Ultrastu

Many of the PW members know that you are an air gun buff and that you know your stuff. I believe that you did everything right to bring off that shot. The mistake you made was to post about it as it brought out the self righteous on the forum who have obviously never missed or wounded any quarry in their sporting lives.

Again , this.

3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Clemfandang. .Jkd.

What is it that has upset you both so much ? Think hard first before your initial response .im genuinely interested .

Second your shooting is in question very much so. 

Your taking. .taking without giving .your trying to pull me(and others ) down ,but give nothing in return to justify your position or opinion .your position is safe behind your keyboard .and without giving anything cant be questioned .

Unfortunately for you that makes your position weak and without any credability and as such means your words are largely  ignored as baseless .

If you want more clout to your words you have to give. 

With out it .your only ever a troll .

Its how conversations have worked for thousands of years. 

I disagree.

You can't post about doing something like that without having it critiqued. 

It doesn't matter what I post here, it's all totally baseless. It's an internet forum I have no way of proving anything. 

We are discussing the post you made and the actions you took. 

I'm not upset in any way.

My opinion based on the facts that you presented is that you took an irresponsible action. You knew you didn't have a good chance of making a humane shot and yet you did it anyway.

The result was failure. 

I'm judging Ultrastu's actions. 

He even says in his OP he expected a negative response. 

It can't all be high fives and backslapping. 

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

The result was an instantly killed rabbit if I remember correctly  ?

The result was his pellet went somewhere other than where he intended it to go. 

Failure. 

1 minute ago, ClemFandango said:

I'm judging Ultrastu's actions. 

You believe youre qualified to do that ?

2 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

It can't all be high fives and backslapping. 

I dont believe they were mentioned ?

3 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

The result was his pellet went somewhere other than where he intended it to go. 

No doubt every projectile you fire goes exactly where you intended to ?

Any discussion in this thread is about exactly that,,,, this thread.

My abilities, or anyone else's, except for the OP's, isn't part of the discussion. Like I previously said, in so many ways the shot was wrong, even by the OP's own admission, as has been pointed out numerous times.

I will say though, that yes, I've missed and injured quarry, but don't feel the need to let the world know about it 😏

8 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You believe youre qualified to do that ?

I dont believe they were mentioned ?

No doubt every projectile you fire goes exactly where you intended to ?

Objectively yes I do believe I  am qualified as I am sure are you or anyone else. I don't need to be a perfect shot to know that if you know you have a low chance of accomplishing a shot at live quarry and are relying purely on luck then the decision to take that shot is in error. 

in my opinion it is unjustifiable.

You, Stu or anybody else will never convince me otherwise and likewise I am not going to change your opinion. 

I hope that anyone reading this thread considering taking up rifle shooting or shooting of any sort sees the controversy it has created and that makes them think twice about taking the same chances. If that happens then some good has come from Stu's post.

Edited by ClemFandango