Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Harnser

Harvest

Recommended Posts

Talked to my farmer friend a couple of days ago and he told me harvest should start within the next two weeks . The rape is being sprayed off this week and some of the barley will be fit quite soon . Looks like he will start on the barley and then change over to the rape mid harvest . The wheat will need longer as it was drilled a little bit later .

always get excited this time of the year just before harvest . I have always traditionally shot the first field harvested as soon as possible after the combine has left the field . Yes a magic time of the year for the pigeon shooter . 

Harnser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep and as always .first field usually gets cut .and i go on my holds for 2 weeks and miss all the best stuff .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Yep and as always .first field usually gets cut .and i go on my holds for 2 weeks and miss all the best stuff .

Exactly the same for me this year! Obviously looking to two weeks with missus & kids more..... 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mossy835 said:

barley is beening cut round here.rape has been sprayed off days ago,

hello, must be all that extra hot weather you get down the west country, most in the south west cut around 2 weeks before here and maybe a bit later the more north you go past Oxford, i get great enjoyment when i see the combine  chuff up and get to first field on my friends farm, it will be the OSR first here, prices look good to so it wont be in the barn long before the lorries take away,    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, must be all that extra hot weather you get down the west country, most in the south west cut around 2 weeks before here and maybe a bit later the more north you go past Oxford, i get great enjoyment when i see the combine  chuff up and get to first field on my friends farm, it will be the OSR first here, prices look good to so it wont be in the barn long before the lorries take away,    

I am the same , I love this time of the year with these massive machines changing the countryside more or less overnight , our Barley is now ready to be cut but the weather dictate when the combines can make a move , last year we started on the 11th July and went day after day non stop until they waited for the last few fields of Wheat to become fit to cut .

This time next week , weather permitting we will see them out in force .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I am the same , I love this time of the year with these massive machines changing the countryside more or less overnight , our Barley is now ready to be cut but the weather dictate when the combines can make a move , last year we started on the 11th July and went day after day non stop until they waited for the last few fields of Wheat to become fit to cut .

This time next week , weather permitting we will see them out in force .

hello, yes it is a busy time for the farming communities up and down the UK, we have a week of good weather in the vale then some rain forecast, that is one thing we cannot control but fingers crossed the OSR will be finished, a few days sun and the barley should be good to go, 2/3 weeks maybe the wheat, everything was a bit late last year due to the weather but this one looks good, :good: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very little happening around by me, other than 4 fields of hay, which have been half baled. Nothing is on the barley, which looks in excellent shape, and not a single down patch anywhere. A field of wheat has some good large areas flattened, but not a bird has shown interest yet. Me and bored dog went out this morning, to a small wood, with wheat on all sides and a track along one edge, ending at a grass meadow at the bottom. Some birds have been attacking the edges of the track so I set up with a dozen shells and two floaters and a lot of hope. After two and a half hours we had six down and two with a severe attack of fright. It was nice, if slow is nice, and a better start to the day instead of going into work early, but the big numbers are only on the Sally Army land, which cannot be shot and not on my perms. Harvest is weeks away, but at least we've have had our summer holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/07/2019 at 23:04, Harnser said:

Talked to my farmer friend a couple of days ago and he told me harvest should start within the next two weeks . The rape is being sprayed off this week and some of the barley will be fit quite soon . Looks like he will start on the barley and then change over to the rape mid harvest . The wheat will need longer as it was drilled a little bit later .

always get excited this time of the year just before harvest . I have always traditionally shot the first field harvested as soon as possible after the combine has left the field . Yes a magic time of the year for the pigeon shooter . 

Harnser

Word have just filtered through that two of our small fields of Barley was cut during the week , more or less bang on the dot when predicted , this time next week if the weather is good you should see 100s of acres cut and we will then know that the harvest have really started , bring it on . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...