Tilley lamp

sandspider

Hi all

I've come by one of these, I believe an X246B (red tank and black dome). Done a bit of Googling, and it seems it needs a meths torch to warm it up before it'll light. It didn't come with a meths torch, just the lamp itself and some paraffin. Does it really need a meths warm up to light it? If so, I think it might be too much of a faff for me!

In which case, could anyone hazard a guess at it's value? I'm told it works, and the tank definitely holds pressure and mantle looks good, but I can't test it if I can't light it without a pre-warmer...?

Thanks.

Used to use them when night fishing on Canvey, yes you do need meth's and the burner to heat up the tube and mantle, tank takes paraffin never try to light it indoors , if it's not heated up enough when you open the valve the paraffin can spill and ignite.

They were superseded by a petrol version, nearly lost my car to one off them going ape.

Doubt if they have any value apart from a little curiosity maybe.

Is there a small round well around the bottom of the tubes? you fill this with meths and then light the meths till its nearly burned away, you then start pumping steadily, it should then be hot enough to vaporise the parafin.

Edited by peck

We had a Tilley lamp when I was a kid in the 50's, we always used one of these: - what with pre-heaters and breaking mantles it's a bit of a faff, that's why we use torches now (torches are not as much fun though!) if you are going to use it, buy some mantles too and don't knock the lamp while lit because mantles are fragile when hot.

Capture.JPG.3a264944f58dd8010e53dd8cad60247c.JPG

Brilliant lights, only got rid of a Tilley to get the next one up a anchor lamp which is a much better option even with the same faff of lighting. Never bothered to  get a coleman, the output was no where near the anchor. 

Tilleys were great for estuary bass and flounder fishing as it didn't chuck out crazy amounts of light. 

Edited by strimmer_13

8 hours ago, snow white said:

I had 8 of them so long as you can heat the vapour stem they will light but the price of paraffin is out this world you would be better getting a Petrol one or a good camping light

the price of paraffin can be offset if you can get kerro or heating oil its the same as paraffin having a 28 second burn rate .

It is possible to start a Tilley lamp on paraffin --  we did it quite often when there was no meths available, in a fairly remote part of Nigeria, back in the early 1970s -- but unless you are very careful  the inside of the glass gets covered in soot.    Don't even think about trying it unless you find it absolutely impossible to get meths.    

Blackpowder mentions the heat output, which can be very welcome in a UK winter, but was something of a disadvantage in the tropics.    The roaring noise becomes tiresome after a while.   All very different from the Aladdin lamp (the type with the tall glass chimney), which gave a much softer light but was more or less silent.

14 hours ago, McSpredder said:

It is possible to start a Tilley lamp on paraffin --  we did it quite often when there was no meths available, in a fairly remote part of Nigeria, back in the early 1970s -- but unless you are very careful  the inside of the glass gets covered in soot.    Don't even think about trying it unless you find it absolutely impossible to get meths.    

Please, tell me the secret!! I do have meths, but if I have to cart around two fuels with the lamp, don't think it'll be for me.

I was thinking a strip of cloth dipped in paraffin wrapped round the bottom of the vapouriser tube, light it, wait until warm, light lamp?

First of all, get the above torch. You don't really want these knocked over in transit, so I made a box to stand mine in. But also made a smaller one which I fixed to one side and big enough to carry a small screw lid jar which was big enough to hold the torch which would also contain some meths. JUST MAKE SURE that the torch is cold after use before putting it back in the jar. Light up on arrival and Bob's your uncle. Now-a-days use a head torch, of course. :oops: