Shooting show statement

An official statement from the British Shooting Show: The British Shooting Show will always support the promotion of shooting and regulated hunting as sports and recreational activities, where they are carried out ethically and within the law. The British Shooting Show will always support good practices, and ethically and environmentally managed shooting and sporting activities that promote the highest standards to those who participate in them. The British Shooting Show has not banned any individual or organisation and will not do so unless it is legally obliged to do so. The British Shooting Show recognises that there are those who oppose, for their own reasons, the activities of others. The British Shooting Show is content to recognise the rights of third parties to oppose hunting, shooting and gun ownership, but maintains the right of all participants in regulated hunting and shooting sports to go about their lawful legal activities. Wherever possible, the British Shooting Show will consider all representations made to it and provide a platform for peaceful and meaningful discussion of all relevant issues.

BSS need to move venue - hitting the NEC bottom line is the only thing they will listen to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The people complaining will not be going to a shooting show anyway , but the shooting industry needs venues that support a legal  pastime enjoyed by the most law abiding section of society  NOT Eco- warriors/ hunt sabs/ ALF protesters and climate change / vegan do gooders who routinely flout the law.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I think it was meant tongue in cheek to be fair. 

Yea,  sarcasm is sometimes gets lost in text.  It was meant to show the ridiculousness of banning African hunts.  Because the hunts are legal in Africa.  In fact a shooting show would be the best possible place to book Safari trips.  That is a photo of a empty pipe with two fittings screwed on.  It’s perfectly legal any where in the world.  

Some years ago i worked on the relocation of the Royal Armouries from London to Birmingham. At the time there was an arms fair at the NEC ( then owned in part by Birmingham Council). 

There were protestors against the arms fair outside the venue and the council leader, **** Knowles, under pressure came out in favour of the protestors, against arms sales and voted that the NEC should stop such arms fairs, in future. The Royal Armouries relocated to Leeds. 

3 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

The set-up at the NEC was way too small and was the principal reason I didn't go last year. Find a roomier venue and I'll gladly go again, provided its not in London. 

Agreed, though the venue itself is huge, the tightwads organising the show appeared this year to have rented about half a hall.  Seemed absolutely ludicrous given the entry price.

NEC, the last shooting show I went to will be the last. A poor venue with appalling organisation IMO.

Directions to car parks virtually non existent and confusing?

Cars were parked virtually as far away from event hall as possible with plenty of unused parking areas in between, had a long walk in and a bus journey back. Maybe done to employ the bus drivers?

At the hall we joined a very long queue to enter only to be sent away to queue to buy tickets at another location, again no signs?

A very cramped venue, stalls much too close together so bottle necked  with loiterers chatting in groups and no opportunities to browse to consider purchasing?

Still maybe lots of political influence at the NEC, I remember the public libraries being sanitised years ago and books telling of big game hunters and their exploits disappearing overnight. Politics at its best?

We've been two years running but we won't be heading back next year fot the reasons above. 

It's a big show so id expect alot of people but to cram them into that space is ridiculous. 

We had a few reasonable priced buys the first time but this year only ended up coming away with a bottle of gin and a wine tasting experience 😂 

Since it opened, I have been to quite a few shows, from Motor Shows, Ideal Home type things, Antiques shows, Shooting shows etc.  Over the years it has transitioned from well run and organised to a complete shambles.  Last one I went (2018) to was organised chaos, but lacking the organisation part.  Doubt I will go to anything there again.

Edited by JohnfromUK