Very long shots too or is it two

Hamster

Off the back of Ultrastu's earlier post I thought I'd make a separate thread so as to avoid hijacking his excellent account. I took my still fairly new to me Daystate AirRanger .25 (39 ftlbs) complete with its new carbon buddy bottle to my favourite dairy farm today and had loads of fun playing with different pellets and firing at some very long distances from a rest, so much so that the rimmie didn't even come out of the car today. As an aside two new pellets which I bought yesterday proved to be shockingly poor, RWS Superdome 31g can do no better than about a 3-4 inch spread 😂  at 30 yards, H&N Field target Trophy 20.09g too were almost as bad. Luckily the gun cloverleafs pretty much everything else including H & N Grizzly 31g slugs, the latter are still baffling me as to why they shoot so well although they're not quite as good as the Exact 25g once past 70-80 yards. 

Anyway my first long shot came when a crow allowed me to take 3 shots at it off hand whilst it was sat on a grass field, the distance seemed so far that I placed the bottom post on the birds head and twice it ducked down as though the pellet had just gone over its head so on the third attempt I reduced the holdover to around 4 full mildots and it was killed with a perfect neck shot. I think the distance was about a hundred yards, (I was shooting from a raised position) certainly well over 80 yards as a minimum. 

The second long shot presented itself where I could use a bale as a rest and based on my earlier practice shots I held 3 mildots high and about half for windage and was rewarded with a perfect base of the head shot with the woodie that was eating the crops and had to be killed, I would think this one was around 70 yards, certainly way past the kind of range that I would raise a shot gun to. 

The other 10 or so crows killed were mostly under 50 yards, the .25 is noticeably deadlier than the .22 but then you'd expect that with such heavier pellets. 

6 minutes ago, Hamster said:

I think the distance was about a hundred yards, (I was shooting from a raised position) certainly well over 80 yards as a minimum. 

Not picking fault 😂

On a 50 yard zero, theres a difference of over 6 inches between 80 and 100 yards with that setup.

If your zero is any less, its worse, nearly 7 at 30.

Just sayin :good:

When your using modern airguns at fac power they become more accurate than most rimfires. 

Good shooting, we should have .ore of what can be done with modern airguns. 

Watching Matt Dubber and Ted Bier shows just what can be done.

26 minutes ago, Mice! said:

What no pictures 😆😆 good shooting 👍 

I leave my mobile at base but yes should have bothered taking some pics. The farmer was happy though as I made sure he saw the slain. 

24 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Not picking fault 😂

On a 50 yard zero, theres a difference of over 6 inches between 80 and 100 yards with that setup.

If your zero is any less, its worse, nearly 7 at 30.

Just sayin :good:

I know but to be fair I have no exact idea of the range, based on my overall experience with air guns and of course clay shooting, the best guestimate I could make looking back and forth at the spot I took the shot from and where the bird was as I picked it I'd think it was a minimum of 80 yards and because I took three fairly quick shots off hand I can't remember the precise mildot position, it was a long way honest. :) 

8 minutes ago, figgy said:

When your using modern airguns at fac power they become more accurate than most rimfires. 

Good shooting, we should have .ore of what can be done with modern airguns. 

Watching Matt Dubber and Ted Bier shows just what can be done.

👍 Absolutely, part of the reason I started to take long shots seriously was watching their videos. :) 

Edited by Hamster

4 minutes ago, Hamster said:

I know but to be fair I have no exact idea of the range, based on my overall experience with air guns and of course clay shooting, the best guestimate I could make looking back and forth at the spot I took the shot from and where the bird was as I picked it I'd think it was a minimum of 80 yards and because I took three fairly quick shots off hand I can't remember the precise mildot position, it was along way honest. :) 

Oh I believe you, just pointing out that, most of the time , at those sort of airgun ranges, if you dont know the exact range, youre gonna miss !

It's not just the new ones , I have a MK1 rapid .22 fac, 34ft/lb and what that can do at 80 to 100 yds is amazing, this isn't bull either I've done amazing shots regularly in front of different witnesses that couldn't believe what a MK1 rapid in fac is capable of.

I really want a fac air, considering putting in the variation. What I want to know is, given the power output say 40ftlb in a .25 would it drop a fox? I often get asked in people's gardens to dispose of a fox, but without trapping it first which in some cases isn't a option, I could do with a close range tool. Also need it quiet, with less chance of over penetration due to enclosed gardens. I'd be interested to know what power retention it has from 20-80 yards. Obviously I wouldn't take a fox over 30 yards anyhow with a 40ftlb anyway it would hopefully be sub 20yards. 

7 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I really want a fac air, considering putting in the variation. What I want to know is, given the power output say 40ftlb in a .25 would it drop a fox? I often get asked in people's gardens to dispose of a fox, but without trapping it first which in some cases isn't a option, I could do with a close range tool. Also need it quiet, with less chance of over penetration due to enclosed gardens. I'd be interested to know what power retention it has from 20-80 yards. Obviously I wouldn't take a fox over 30 yards anyhow with a 40ftlb anyway it would hopefully be sub 20yards. 

The correct technical answer is yes it will kill a head shot fox with ease, probably way past 50 yards even, providing you use a heavy pellet such as 34g Exacts although in reality even a 25.4g Exact is almost certainly going to go through the skull anyway; if you get the right gun with what they call a slug liner barrel you can then order (from the states) special hollow point slugs which will make them even deader.

Now, the chances of you actually being granted an FAC air for the specific purpose of dispatching close garden foxes is pretty slim though because what can be done in theory and what often happens in real life situations are two different things, personally wouldn't do it unless I absolutely positively had to. 

Edited by Hamster

19 minutes ago, Hamster said:

The correct technical answer is yes it will kill a head shot fox with ease, probably way past 50 yards even, providing you use a heavy pellet such as 34g Exacts although in reality even a 25.4g Exact is almost certainly going to go through the skull anyway; if you get the right gun with what they call a slug liner barrel you can then order (from the states) special hollow point slugs which will make them even deader.

Now, the chances of you actually being granted an FAC air for the specific purpose of dispatching close garden foxes is pretty slim though because what can be done in theory and what often happens in real life situations are two different things, personally wouldn't do it unless I absolutely positively had to. 

Fair enough all taken on board

Thanks

👍 

Rewulf I was going to get myself a laser range finder, then when at a airgun range one of the competition lads said your scopes side parallax will be accurate. Checked it and it was so I just range off it and use the scope flip insets I printed from chairgun.

Edited by figgy

The side px can be. Very handy tool especially with  Large wheel to estimate range .lazers rf.can be pretty useless in woods or over longer grass where zapping your target can be guess work at best. 

I find with mine its ok out to around 75 yds then it gets too tricky .

Nice gun hamster glad your enjoying it .

A rangefinder and plotting the scopes trajectory to the ret with chairgun will really help with shot placement .

46 minutes ago, Hamster said:

This is a great post. 

48 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Nice gun hamster glad your enjoying it .

A rangefinder and plotting the scopes trajectory to the ret with chairgun will really help with shot placement .

I use a range finder when plinking and zeroing but rarely carry it around the farms because most of my shooting is done rapidly off hand (using aim off) but I'm hoping to eventually get a FX Impact outfit with a fancy scope and set them up so as to aim with the centre of the reticule. 

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Rewulf I was going to get myself a laser range finder, then when at a airgun range one of the competition lads said your scopes side parallax will be accurate. Checked it and it was so I just range off it and use the scope flip insets I printed from chairgun.

Only works well on high mag scopes at shorter (less than 50 yards) range. 

I used to do FT, with a calibrated 50x scope with 7 inch sidewheel, you can get reasonably decent range estimates from that, a 12x or 16x scope? Forget it. 

Get a laser RF, check the ranges and take the guesswork out of it, even if you don't use it every time, it will give you examples of different range situations. 

Estimate them by eye, then confirm.