oldypigeonpopper's mackerel thread

islandgun

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be going to anglesey this sunday for the day I believe there showing there so might have a go with the feathers for a couple hours if the weathers good might even chuck a disposable bbq in the boot & have them on the beach if I manage to get some fingers crossed  🎣

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Tesco's had a few!

but are they fresh ?

2 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

Might be going to anglesey this sunday for the day I believe there showing there so might have a go with the feathers for a couple hours if the weathers good might even chuck a disposable bbq in the boot & have them on the beach if I manage to get some fingers crossed  🎣

where are heading ?

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Anyone getting them ? . sporadic but good size here in the outer Hebrides

..several years ago a friend of mine and I used to be regular visitors to Berneray (way before the causeway) for shooting and fishing holidays and had several mackerel approaching 4lb on light tackle.

Pound for pound they are incredible fighters.

hello, good luck to one and all who can get out and do some mackerel fishing, nothing like eating a fresh caught one, better than from that supermarket that keeps saying every little helps !!!!! i always keep harking back to the good old days catching some off Bognor pier, and my favourite beach being Chesil in Dorset

2 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

was on Anglesey 2 weeks back not many showing then, a few lads had 5 off mackerel rock but that was it .

good luck and keep us updated 👍

48 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

The isle of anglesey just off north wales  possibly try newbourgh beach if low tide or a couple rock marks I know 

Caught some nice Bass from Newborough beach in the autumn, if you dont mind the walk Llanddwyn island offers some deeper water off the rocks [left hand side before the lighthouse] might be alright for mackerel, with early morning or evening possibly best

12 hours ago, magman said:

was on Anglesey 2 weeks back not many showing then, a few lads had 5 off mackerel rock but that was it .

good luck and keep us updated 👍

12 hours ago, islandgun said:

Caught some nice Bass from Newborough beach in the autumn, if you dont mind the walk Llanddwyn island offers some deeper water off the rocks [left hand side before the lighthouse] might be alright for mackerel, with early morning or evening possibly best

Cheers guys will keep you updated going down with the girlfriend & dog so I imagine my fishing will be limited to a couple hours at best 😂 There's a chance I might be camping there at the end of the month so hopefully that will offer up some more fishing time 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Late reply but I didnt have any luck catching the mackeral I did have success with some wrasse tho the girlfriend even caught her first wrasse also happened to be the biggest of the day on the cheapest rod & simplest rig! Typical was very happy for her tho. Struggling to suss out how to upload the pictures tho! 

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Finally got a weekend on the east Devon coast this weekend, will be taking the rods down for some beach casting. Hoping to get a few. 

There's been a feeding frenzy by gulls off Exmouth and Dawlish Warren. I suspect whitebait, but no one seems to know. But I know a man who will. If By East Devon you're between Exmouth and Seaton, watch this space. If there's anything on, I'll be on Budleigh beach with the fly rod.

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

There's been a feeding frenzy by gulls off Exmouth and Dawlish Warren. I suspect whitebait, but no one seems to know. But I know a man who will. If By East Devon you're between Exmouth and Seaton, watch this space. If there's anything on, I'll be on Budleigh beach with the fly rod.

I have a place next to the donkey sanctuary so have Seaton, beer Branscombe and sidmouth all in reach 

Yep, was whitebait but the mackerel didn't play and the 'bait has now pushed off. The mackerel are about apparently but no great numbers. As ever, it's all about being in the right place. Not too clever here (Exmouth) as there wasa major cliff fall which has literally muddied the waters. The guys are hoping the blow will clear things up for when the wind drops this evening.