oldypigeonpopper's mackerel thread

islandgun

7 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Was in Sidmouth, east devon, water was like sandy soup, had a few knocks but no hits. Going to do a bit of spinning in morning. 

hello, if the water is cloudy put some smelly bait on, rag worm with slice of mackerel or squid to hold it on the hook, taken from a local report, good luck for tomorrow,  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Number 1 and 2 hook. And one was whole and had two hook and half squid, with bait elastic, was very tough... 

hello, i have never had that before, what you think, big bass/ conger ? i look on google maps very rocky either side of weston beach 100/150 ? yards out, any more fishing before you go back home ? 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have never had that before, what you think, big bass/ conger ? i look on google maps very rocky either side of weston beach 100/150 ? yards out, any more fishing before you go back home ? 

God knows, if I'd hooked it I'd be able to tell you haha. I was right in  the middle of weston. Maybe just my poor baiting skills last night haha

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

God knows, if I'd hooked it I'd be able to tell you haha. I was right in  the middle of weston. Maybe just my poor baiting skills last night haha

hello, would not think so as you had used bait elastic, big bass are like industrial hoovers,  i have had on occasion the same but bit through the line taking hook and bait, i used 60 shock leader and 18/20llb main line, good luck if your out again, cheers 

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, would not think so as you had used bait elastic, big bass are like industrial hoovers,  i have had on occasion the same but bit through the line taking hook and bait, i used 60 shock leader and 18/20llb main line, good luck if your out again, cheers 

Mad, as it was so rough to it was hard to know what was a potential knock or just the current knocking it about.. Back in n. Somerset now, so no more fishing this weekend.. 

I had 10 mackerel yesterday from the kayak, as well as a few cod and pollack to 5lb. Kept the mackerel and a cod, gave most away to friends and hot smoked some mackerel for fishcakes!

Lots of bigger launce about too, hopefully the other fishing will improve as they home in on the feast.

5 minutes ago, henry d said:

I had 10 mackerel yesterday from the kayak, as well as a few cod and pollack to 5lb. Kept the mackerel and a cod, gave most away to friends and hot smoked some mackerel for fishcakes!

Lots of bigger launce about too, hopefully the other fishing will improve as they home in on the feast.

hello, sounds like you had some good fishing Henry

They sure have a certain ugliness yet are beautiful at the same time, they are ambush predators so rely on camouflage, just like pigeon shooters and wildfowlers.

We used to think as kids that they were poisonous but they are not, our local name for them was granny fish

Well spent a few hours casting at Eype today, hour before high tide and on it, absolutely zero fish. Nothing. So put the wetsuit on and grabbed the snorkle to see what the bottom is like, it's like a desert down there. I went out 300 yards and still was crystal clear, could see the bottom 20 foot below. No weed, no boulders nothing. Also no fry, eels or bait fish. Only thing i saw was a 1/2lb pouting (dead) pinned to the floor on a 2 hook flapper which was still baited. I dived down and cut the rig off and helped myself to a nice new shiny breakaway lead, which didn't break away obviously and chucked the hooks in the bin. 4 hours of driving for ****** all. About 8 other anglers there, none were catching either. We were nearer the west bay/Bridport sea defence wall than the car park. Still a great day out, took the boy for his first swim in the sea, and spotted the sunshine sheila's. 👍

Edited by strimmer_13

13 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Well spent a few hours casting at Eype today, hour before high tide and on it, absolutely zero fish. Nothing. So put the wetsuit on and grabbed the snorkle to see what the bottom is like, it's like a desert down there. I went out 300 yards and still was crystal clear, could see the bottom 20 foot below. No weed, no boulders nothing. Also no fry, eels or bait fish. Only thing i saw was a 1/2lb pouting (dead) pinned to the floor on a 2 hook flapper which was still baited. I dived down and cut the rig off and helped myself to a nice new shiny breakaway lead, which didn't break away obviously and chucked the hooks in the bin. 4 hours of driving for ****** all. About 8 other anglers there, none were catching either. We were nearer the west bay/Bridport sea defence wall than the car park. Still a great day out, took the boy for his first swim in the sea, and spotted the sunshine sheila's. 👍

There were several guys snorkelling close in where I was yeterday and they saw lots of small pollack, flatties and lobster. I have been using a waterwolf camera to check out our reefs in 30-50 foot of water and they are teeming with life, wonder why there is such a difference?

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

I’m not into swimming that far out but I bet it’s lovely to see.

how olds your lad ?