oldypigeonpopper's mackerel thread

islandgun

39 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I’m not into swimming that far out but I bet it’s lovely to see.

how olds your lad ? 

3 1/2. Didn't want to come out. Shivering and blue lips, but he's still keen to be out. 

I normally don't go out that far, only if I'm over rough ground do I, or got my gun (seen Jaws too many times😅). My experience is with tides, 10 yards can get you in big trouble, been there, wouldn't dream of going that far on the turn. Big open beach's are lethal.

It was crystal clear water, just nothing in it. Might do durdle dor next sat eve, weather depending. Seen real big wrasse (5lb+) and bass there

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Well spent a few hours casting at Eype today, hour before high tide and on it, absolutely zero fish. Nothing. So put the wetsuit on and grabbed the snorkle to see what the bottom is like, it's like a desert down there. I went out 300 yards and still was crystal clear, could see the bottom 20 foot below. No weed, no boulders nothing. Also no fry, eels or bait fish. Only thing i saw was a 1/2lb pouting (dead) pinned to the floor on a 2 hook flapper which was still baited. I dived down and cut the rig off and helped myself to a nice new shiny breakaway lead, which didn't break away obviously and chucked the hooks in the bin. 4 hours of driving for ****** all. About 8 other anglers there, none were catching either. We were nearer the west bay/Bridport sea defence wall than the car park. Still a great day out, took the boy for his first swim in the sea, and spotted the sunshine sheila's. 👍

hello, i have a book on sea fishing in Dorset, beach and boat, by Hugh Stoker, printed in Bridport published in 1960, revised to 1986, not sure what year is my copy but worth getting ?  

7 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

3 1/2. Didn't want to come out. Shivering and blue lips, but he's still keen to be out. 

I normally don't go out that far, only if I'm over rough ground do I, or got my gun (seen Jaws too many times😅). My experience is with tides, 10 yards can get you in big trouble, been there, wouldn't dream of going that far on the turn. Big open beach's are lethal.

It was crystal clear water, just nothing in it. Might do durdle dor next sat eve, weather depending. Seen real big wrasse (5lb+) and bass there

When I was in criccieth beginning of the month a guy was swimming out 200 yards looking and I thought he was nuts. 

My oldest daughter used to have blue lips and still refused to come out. My youngest hates anything cooler than bath water lol

On 11/07/2019 at 17:16, islandgun said:

Anyone getting them ? . sporadic but good size here in the outer Hebrides

Plenty off the Seaham Pier, private so no idiot Mackie Bashers swilling larger and smoking dope and leaving an absolute mess behind. Had 12 out on Friday hour before HT. Filleted and in the chill box before leaving. Didn't use the daylights though, just light bass rod and a spinner.I only use the daylights at start of season the get the freezer full.Biggest bag this season has been 48 in a 3hr session in July.Makes life a lot easier if you fillet them after every half doze.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out yesterday trying for cod and Pollock but was unsuccessful there but could have filled the kayak with mackerel. Big fat things mainly and even the smaller ones were fat, I watched shoals of sandeel swim past me through the day and the fish finder showed how deep they were, sometimes from surface to the bottom. Came in with 7 gave one away in the car park and filleted the rest for smoking and freezing.

Yum