Pattern test

Pattern tested my gun today  and the bottom barrel is around the centre of the target and the top barrel is probably 70/30 above the target used hull x comp 7.5  28g 65mm and hull pigeon 6 29g 70mm both had same results ... is it normal for both barrels to shoot different 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an Ata  sp sporter only a cheap Turkish gun but fits me good  and now I have tested it I  need adjust but just wondered if it was normal... 

11 minutes ago, figgy said:

What gun? Some trap guns are set this way for the second shot.

If your aware of it you will automatically adjust for it, I had a Browning cynergy that was the same.

15 minutes ago, old'un said:

Can you kill with the gun?

Yep but was hitting more with the second shot as I thought sporter guns where set to shoot high 

Edited by Jacko3275

Do a bit more testing, don't aim the gun just mount and shoot, see where it prints. If the same try changing chokes in case it's just the choke that's out of true.

Both barrels should have the same point of impact.

You won't be able to adjust it yourself, if it's still out take it back get the dealer to sort it out.

Is it the ally action , if so its a light gun the hull comp x will be ok , but i would have though your other cartridges would give you a kick , the wife has the ata  with the ally action , and she uses the comp x 28 . Or other loads in 24 grams . I have tried it with heavey  loads and it does kick . You can feel it in your shoulder .

45 minutes ago, old'un said:

So you are hitting more with the second shot (top barrel, the one that shoots high) is this the case with all shots, going away, crossers etc?

More less even a pair of crossers miss one hit one it could be am just a **** shot 

I’ll be on the clays this weekend at some point so I’ll see if it make a difference

hello, there are quite a few parameters in pattern testing shotguns, you can get an average by sticking up a large sheet of paper and shooting a few different cartridges 30/40/50 yards, i seem to remember we had a large steel sheet and used a white paint, removable chokes can be different to fixed, side by sides will be different to over and under, single barrels like my bsa full choked shoots high, use any more than 28 g in a 6.5llb side by side shotgun you will get recoil,  same for O/U of same weight, 30g is the max i have used in a 6.5llb Browning, shotguns 7 llb and above can take 28/30g, over 8llb then 30/32g will absorb the recoil, back many years i only patterned one shotgun, i am sure it was a AYA 3 that i had reamed to imp/half, we had a good gunsmith at our clay club, his advice forget about that laddie just shoot it !!!!!!           

What I don’t get is, the bottom barrel is on target when you tested it but the top barrel is shooting high, yet you are missing with the bottom on target barrel and killing with the top (shooting high)

If you do go clay pigeon shooting give the gun to someone who can shoot and see what results they get, it might possibly be you and not the gun.

55 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

More less even a pair of crossers miss one hit one it could be am just a **** shot 

I’ll be on the clays this weekend at some point so I’ll see if it make a difference

Ive got the same gun, among others, but Id say the ATA is my go to clay gun.

First off, each barrel does shoot slightly different, I find the bottom barrel shoots slightly high, but it really depends on what range , I believe they 'converge at around 30 yards.
What you have to understand is, how you 'aim' (for want of a better word) with the rib level the pip needs to be under the target, or I should say, where the target is going to be .

If you are aiming 'at it' especially at shorter ranges, chances are youre going over the top.

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

As a new shooter are you sure your mount was consistent / identical on both shots?

I’m doing it the way I read to for pattern testing by aiming with a flat rib using the bead as a sight like you would do with a bladed sight rifle  I have shot 8 targets 4 with each barrel with the same outcome every time it’s not like am snap shooting at the target  .... I’m just trying to understand how they shoot 

2 hours ago, old'un said:

What I don’t get is, the bottom barrel is on target when you tested it but the top barrel is shooting high, yet you are missing with the bottom on target barrel and killing with the top (shooting high)

If you do go clay pigeon shooting give the gun to someone who can shoot and see what results they get, it might possibly be you and not the gun.

I have been aiming ( if that’s the right word) below as I was led to believe sporters aim high so  that why I wanted to do a pattern test .. and as for clay shooting I am hitting between 50 an 80%  which for a novice I don’t think is bad

12 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

What range is the plate ?

20 yard

The other bottom line is that no one can help while sitting at a computer. You need a coach/fitter beside you. All that can happen at the moment is that you'll get lots of well meaning help giving one of the causes of the problem which are legion. But, there is a however. There are several reasons why one uses the pattern plate and your last post describes one of them. If you are as confident as you appear to be with what you've done, then you're in with a chance because you've picked the one which you can do solo. You may, or may not, want to try it again to be certain, but what you have done is nothing to do with gun fit, marksmanship or pattern density - you have simply tested the gun and found it wanting.

Unfotrunately, what is now your actual last post proves my point and has made a mockery of what I was about to say. So, go again and try exactly the same thing at 40 yards.

6 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I have been aiming ( if that’s the right word) below as I was led to believe sporters aim high so  that why I wanted to do a pattern test .. and as for clay shooting I am hitting between 50 an 80%  which for a novice I don’t think is bad

20 yard

All good, carry on and practice.
Those scores arent bad for how long youve been at it.

Dont overthink those pattern plates.

4 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

I’m doing it the way I read to for pattern testing by aiming with a flat rib using the bead as a sight like you would do with a bladed sight rifle  I have shot 8 targets 4 with each barrel with the same outcome every time it’s not like am snap shooting at the target  .... I’m just trying to understand how they shoot 

That's not pattern testing, it's POI (point of impact) testing. An exercise which at 20 yards strikes me as mostly pointless. The only thing of value from POI testing is to check for barrel convergence and since O/Us are typically set up for the barrels to converge at around 35 yards that's the distance to use for your testing. Neverthe less, at least one barrel of the gun will shoot exactly where you point it, if the other barrel doesn't then there's nothing you can do to fix it

3 minutes ago, Westward said:

That's not pattern testing, it's POI (point of impact) testing. An exercise which at 20 yards strikes me as mostly pointless. The only thing of value from POI testing is to check for barrel convergence and since O/Us are typically set up for the barrels to converge at around 35 yards that's the distance to use for your testing. Neverthe less, at least one barrel of the gun will shoot exactly where you point it, if the other barrel doesn't then there's nothing you can do to fix it

Agreed. A pattern rest should be further out.

Having seen Jacko shoot I can tell you that he pirouettes on alternate legs when he is mounting the gun. 

8 minutes ago, Westward said:

Isn't a POI test normally done at 16 yards and is the initial test in determining correct gun fit?

Just now, wymberley said:

Isn't a POI test normally done at 16 yards and is the initial test in determining correct gun fit?

+1, I  thought it needs to be reasonably close in, at 35 yards it can be be difficult to discern where the centre of it is, depending on choke obviously.