Le Tour

Penelope

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

That was an unexpected stage, i was thinking nothing will happen till the mountains and boom!! Great racing.

Indeed it was, EDF, Ineos and Quickstep pulled the peloton apart on should have been a quiet day. Good news for G.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

Wow!!!! Chapeau Alaphillipe!!!

Vive le France!!

highlights again for me, bad crash which you wouldn't expect.

I imagine the French are bouncing, tomorrow should be interesting, I always enjoy the mountain finishes, but it's our rugby fun day so it might well be Sunday before i watch it.

So it looks like INEOS need to break JA in the mountains else he’ll be in yellow in Paris.

It’s about to get very interesting.

Good to see we are not leveraging the same kind of accusations at JA that the likes of CF & GT have been subjected to previously. To be fair the French are due a home grown winner but I’d still much prefer GT retaining his “crown”.

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

So it looks like INEOS need to break JA in the mountains else he’ll be in yellow in Paris.

It’s about to get very interesting.

Good to see we are not leveraging the same kind of accusations at JA that the likes of CF & GT have been subjected to previously. To be fair the French are due a home grown winner but I’d still much prefer GT retaining his “crown”.

I think thats the thing Ineos!!! As a team they're outstanding, JA is having a great ride but what about the rest of his team? Because when they take on the mountains you need a team.

As for accusations about JA, he's French so they ain't going to accuse him of anything.

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I think thats the thing Ineos!!! As a team they're outstanding, JA is having a great ride but what about the rest of his team? Because when they take on the mountains you need a team.

As for accusations about JA, he's French so they ain't going to accuse him of anything.

Agreed on both points. On the latter I specifically meant that we’re not doing as they have done in the past.

That said if he smashes the mountains on his own then questions will sadly inevitably be raised.

Another great stage yesterday, GT lost some time, said he didn't feel great all day so 30 seconds ain't bad, JP looked really good again staying out of trouble and pushing for the win, it's looking like his to loose now with 2 minutes on GT

And a great win for PINOT

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/49058384

The French are having a great tour.

22 hours ago, Mice! said:

Another great stage yesterday, GT lost some time, said he didn't feel great all day so 30 seconds ain't bad, JP looked really good again staying out of trouble and pushing for the win, it's looking like his to loose now with 2 minutes on GT

And a great win for PINOT

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/49058384

The French are having a great tour.

Not too shabby for the Brits after yesterday either with 25% of JA’s advantage removed. 

I do wonder just how good Adam Yates would be if he was in a team like INEOS.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s stage.

Yes i watched most of the stage yesterday on and off, really enjoyed it.

I really can't work out what NC is doing , seems like he's struggling but tried going with a break away yesterday then didn't ride?

Second stage victory for Adam Yates, he looked really good, but if he was in a bigger team looking at GC contender then they wouldn't let him get away.

I think Pinot is the danger man at the moment, if he hadn't of got stuck with those cross winds earlier on and lost time he would likely be in yellow now? 

And there are more mountains to come, last year GT had Froome as a super domestic i think they were calling him, towing him along, JP might or might not crack, Pinot looks like getting stronger as the climbing increases and GT looked better yesterday, with another two or three riders chasing podium places, the most open race for a long time. 😁 

4 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I watched most of it too although I’m hindered by Turkish commentary until I get home on Wednesday.

I agree with you but your acronyms confuse me, by JP I assume you mean JA and NC you mean NQ? 😁

Sorry yes JA & NQ

Looking at the footage, yes they had a bit of a ding dong but the exclusions seem a bit heavy handed to me. Have the appeals been rejected and so this is definitive or still a chance they will be able to continue? Interesting that this impacts two teams who have three riders in the top 5, the other two being French, a coincidence no doubt...

Regarding overall team INEOS strategy, I would have thought they need to just ride as a team and their strongest guy prevails? When the going gets hot in the Alps I don't see how they can effectively maintain two leaders independently, with or without Rowe?

I'm going to be glued to the coverage over the next three days. 

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

Looking at the footage, yes they had a bit of a ding dong but the exclusions seem a bit heavy handed to me. Have the appeals been rejected and so this is definitive or still a chance they will be able to continue? Interesting that this impacts two teams who have three riders in the top 5, the other two being French, a coincidence no doubt...

Regarding overall team INEOS strategy, I would have thought they need to just ride as a team and their strongest guy prevails? When the going gets hot in the Alps I don't see how they can effectively maintain two leaders independently, with or without Rowe?

I'm going to be glued to the coverage over the next three days. 

You may need to check, but I don't think there is any appeal structure for the TdF. The officials' decision is final. I sort of remember Peter Sagan complaining about the lack of appeal when he was booted out a couple of years ago. 

I agree. Looking at the footage it's just a bit of handbags. No one fell off, no one was injured, it wasn't a particularly dangerous incident, so why blow it out of all proportion? If someone does something truly dangerous, they'll end up with exactly the same punishment, which seems a bit daft to me. I just hope it wasn't an indirect assault on Ineos to limit their hopes of beating the French incumbent of the Yellow Jersey - or is that too cynical of me!?

Just now, chrisjpainter said:

You may need to check, but I don't think there is any appeal structure for the TdF. The officials' decision is final. I sort of remember Peter Sagan complaining about the lack of appeal when he was booted out a couple of years ago. 

I agree. Looking at the footage it's just a bit of handbags. No one fell off, no one was injured, it wasn't a particularly dangerous incident, so why blow it out of all proportion? If someone does something truly dangerous, they'll end up with exactly the same punishment, which seems a bit daft to me. I just hope it wasn't an indirect assault on Ineos to limit their hopes of beating the French incumbent of the Yellow Jersey - or is that too cynical of me!?

Not too cynical at all in my opinion, it was my first thought after looking at the footage!

Rowe and Martin are the respective road captains of their teams. Jumbo were blocking the road as inneos we’re trying to move up. It Happens pretty often once the DS are happy with the composition of the break.

It looked like handbags and both guys were civil in the post race interviews. Kicking them out seems harsh, a fine more appropriate maybe 🤷‍♂️

Both will be a big miss. They do a great deal of hard yards early in a stage and in Martins case a lot of the pulling in the jumbo lead out train. 

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

just hope it wasn't an indirect assault on Ineos to limit their hopes of beating the French incumbent of the Yellow Jersey - or is that too cynical of me!?

Does make you wonder?? Seemed very harsh to me, i hope they can appeal, i understand it could have been dangerous had they gone down but they didn't???

The Alps is going to settle it obviously, tomorrows three mountains and a down hill finish could hopefully throw up a few surprises, but the down hill finishes do scare me when you realise what kind of speeds their doing.

Roll on 7pm tomorrow 😊 

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

Does make you wonder?? Seemed very harsh to me, i hope they can appeal, i understand it could have been dangerous had they gone down but they didn't???

The Alps is going to settle it obviously, tomorrows three mountains and a down hill finish could hopefully throw up a few surprises, but the down hill finishes do scare me when you realise what kind of speeds their doing.

Roll on 7pm tomorrow 😊 

Everyone was in way too much control for it to be dangerous! No one was in any kind of peril. Just the commissaires flexing their muscles a bit. Both were riding for people who could catch Alaphilippe.

9 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Everyone was in way too much control for it to be dangerous! No one was in any kind of peril. Just the commissaires flexing their muscles a bit. Both were riding for people who could catch Alaphilippe.

What happened? I did see the high lights but missed the end, where something like this is brought up.

Sounds like the French being typically French, from what I have read above.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

What happened? I did see the high lights but missed the end, where something like this is brought up.

Sounds like the French being typically French, from what I have read above.

Exactly. Here's the gist of it:

1. Luke Rowe's on the right hand side of the road in a peloton that's going nowhere fast. He's trying to get back to Thomas, who's a little surrounded by Jumbo riders.  By this stage it's clear that there's not going to be anything exciting happening in the GC.
  2. Tony Martin angles across Luke Rowe, basically cutting him up, he has to swerve a touch and brake. but that's all. He doesn't even leave the road and the supporter's next to him barely flinch.
  3. Luke Rowe, somewhat miffed by such skulduggery, gets a light hold of Tony Martin's shoulder, to mildly remonstrate. 
  4. No one cared.

The end. 

They were both just trying to get their team leader in as safe a position as possible. It was nothing particularly unusual, as shalfordninja33 said. Suddenly the commissaires kick up a stink and boot them both out. Both men were riding in support of team leaders who could very well overtake Alaphilippe

Edited by chrisjpainter