Best service for breakdown recovery?

Pushkin

2 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

Green Flag are currently advertising to beat your AA or RAC renewal quote. (Might even be halve your quote.........but don't quote me.........)

You want someone whos going to turn up !

Been with RAC for years, excellent service.

Whatever they quote you , haggle, I spoke to one bloke outside a supermarket once, he started off at £220 pa, swiftly went down to £80 for the same cover :yes:

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

You want someone whos going to turn up !

Been with RAC for years, excellent service.

Whatever they quote you , haggle, I spoke to one bloke outside a supermarket once, he started off at £220 pa, swiftly went down to £80 for the same cover 

I wasn't recommending or otherwise (I'm not with them)..........just passing on info.

7 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

I wasn't recommending or otherwise (I'm not with them)..........just passing on info.

:good:

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, green flag £46, 1 call out winter of last year saved 10 times that, 

You were lucky ! 😂
Im joking, Ive heard they arent as quick to attend as the big 2, or have as many vehicles out ?
They certainly are cheap though.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

:good:

You were lucky ! 😂
Im joking, Ive heard they arent as quick to attend as the big 2, or have as many vehicles out ?
They certainly are cheap though.

hello, we did have to wait 1.5/2  hours but found a nice cafe, it was near Luton Airport on the Feb day it started raining at 6 am M40  and by 10 at Luton there were 6 inches of snow and my Dihatsu seized up on the outer road, and they did not put up my renewal cost,  

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, we did have to wait 1.5/2  hours but found a nice cafe, it was near Luton Airport on the Feb day it started raining at 6 am M40  and by 10 at Luton there were 6 inches of snow and my Dihatsu seized up on the outer road, and they did not put up my renewal cost,  

Sounds like you were lucky, in more ways than one !

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Sounds like you were lucky, in more ways than one !

hello, my friend insisted in me being there after coming from Estonia, !!!!! oh did i mention parking fine £60 and all she had to do was get the coach to Oxford at £19 !!!!!!! it cost me that in coffees and cake ha ha, bless her though !!!!!!

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I have resolved to never renew another contract without comparing quotes from other suppliers, be it tinternet, phone, home insurance, motor insurance etc. I just received my motor insurance renewal from Aviva, its gone up by over £50 to just over £400. I messaged them I'd be shopping around if they didn't improve the premium - they declined.

I then went on a compare site and got it for over £100 cheaper whilst raising the anticipated annual mileage from 6000 to 7000 cos of her indoors bingo runs, and added protected NCD being as we have now reached 9 years.

I now suspect it was naive of me to enter into an auto renewal agreement with aviva and have cancelled the direct debit and informed them of my actions. In hindsight I realised the auto renewal compares to UK telling EU we will not leave them with no deal.

Been with Green Flag for ..errrrr... a very long time.... 12  ..15yrs   seems like that anyway. Had a few call outs over those years and only on one did I have to complain and that is when I climbed in the cab of the recovery truck and it stunk of fags and as soon as the driver got in he lit up.  Still got me home almost as fast as I could with the Landie.

All three of my vehicles are on the contract as I have the top membership minus Continental travel.

The last turn out they just did not seem as sharp in the telephone response and I found the company had changed hands.  The young man attending could not have been more helpful.

Yes, I will keep renewing each year but hope I never have to call them.

My Tyneside buddy broke down in his LR at  Perth for Scone  game Fair,needed relay back home, picked dead vehicle up in Perth, relayed as far as Musselburgh, then left in layby, 2 hours later.another breakdown truck arrived to complets recovery,with one vehicle on board, wanted to put LR (an auto) onto spectacle  tow, was not happy when told he needed to shuffle vehicles,to get LR on board due to 4wd, took hours to complete rec. This was AA.

Edited by guzzicat

I have to correct an earlier post. I said I was with Aviva at £28. My renewal arrived this morning - it is actually AXA and cost £26.86 last year. It has just increased to £30.25. That said, they have changed the cover and I will not be renewing.

Edited by Gordon R

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

been with rac 6 years now, £20 a mounth never had two call them out yet, for my 2 cars.

That seems expensive, £240 a year? 

Mine costs £12.50 a month through my bank, RAC top cover, any car I'm driving. 

Also covers me for global travel insurance, hotel cover and free hire car, amongst other stuff. 

I’ve been with AA for 25 years and luckily only had 3 call outs in this time. Most recent was a couple of months ago when my clutch went and they arrived with a tow truck in less than half an hour. Very impressed with the service to be honest.

I’m not so impressed with the renewal premium rising by a ridiculous amount every year and having to phone them up threatening to leave, etc. before they reduce it. Currently pay £40 annually but you can guarantee when I get my renewal letter in September it will be double that.

Just taken out Green Flag at £50.40 - covers everything (UK only).

I got AXA last year,  on a comparison site, where all the benefits were listed.  Unusual for me, but I did not read the small print when the documents arrive. Recovery to garage or destination up to 10 miles away. The comparison site said national cover - which was true - but they charged (per mile) for any recovery over 10 miles. I only noticed when a slip of paper (in with the renewal) said the 10 miles had increased to 20. I wasn't aware and have to thank this thread for making me pay attention.

Just renewed with AutoAid, premium has gone up to £59.99 for the year. Covers me and the other half for both our cars as its for whatever car we are driving. Had to call them out twice over the years and service has been excellent. Last call was for my Pajero which had one of the 3 fan belts jump and took all 3 out!. Was on a restricted section of the motorway as we had just left Exeter services. The council recovery guys got to us just minutes before the AutoAid Guy.(Bear in mind this was also a bank holiday Monday!) The council lifted us to a safe area off the Motorway and the AutoAid guy worked on the Pajero for about 3 hours refitting new belts, luckily I always carried a selection of spares. Cost to me, Ziltch, just a good tip to the mechanic.

Had to use Green Flag several times on the continent with an old camper van many years ago. They moved us from camp site to camp site so we could enjoy our holiday, must have been 7 or 8 moves. They then had to arrange to get the van home, so we used her as a container and brought back around 40 boxes of beer 400 bottles of wine and a load of spirits. Had to make use of the fact we couldn't drive it, didn't we! Would definitely recommend them, but have no current knowledge of them as a company.

Worked for all as a agent AA and RAC mess about a lot more on recovery . One journey taking a car home with members  was told to take them to certain services stations and wait for AA. This  should have taken eight hours there and back. Took 14 hours. Green flag are the best for all services look at the mechanic AA/RAC have nice clean hands ? GF  will take you all the way  home