How to cook a venison leg - inspiration please?

bigbird

Hi guys, I’m defrosting this to cook tomorrow...

Please can I have suggestions as to how to cook it and what to cook with it? Nothing too Cordon Bleu as I’m not the best cook due to being distracted with too many other jobs to do outside 😂😂 Preferably a ‘shove it all in the oven and come back to it’  jobbie.

Thank you!

DD3F3E01-C35A-43C1-B7E1-476A43243DF1.jpeg

...as scarecrow says , bone it out carefully then you can make up some stuffing or go buy some ready made packet stuff ..still good enough.. just adds flavour but also keeps the meat moist.  Next thing...go buy yourself a meat thermometer... this allows you to know exactly when that meat is cooked and not over cooked.  I usually pull mine out fo the oven when the thermometer reads between beef rare and beef well done but you have to cook a few before you find the best setting.  I have a meat  needle for sewing up after stuffing, stops the stuffing falling out all over the place.   Once stuffed, pour a small amount of oil..rape seed or olive and a handfull of demerera sugar..yes no kidding... rub this in with some mixed herbs of choice. Then lay layers of smoked streaky bacon over the whole of the joint.    I have a 'chicken brick' type roaster and they are superb in fact we have two.  Soak this in water for an hour just prior to cooking, put the meat in and lid on put it in a cold oven and turn to 220 initially for about 1/2 hr then back to 180/200 till cooked through.  Again this is based on our cooker and the temps vary in all cookers, whether they have fans etc etc., so you have to make a note of the best result for the future.  I check a haunch of muntie after about 1 1/2 hrs and may add some plain water if it looks a bit dry.  These chicken brick type roasters put a glaze on the meat and we cook all of our meat. red, poultry , game in them ...a very good investment.. Lakeland do them.

That is how we cook venison and never have much left over.    If you can get some Tony Chatterie's cajun mix then do , as this is superb with game. Just a sprinkle lifts the flavours.  Check the web.  If not pm me and I will send you a small sample.

Use a thermometer probe when it shows about 65 take it out of the oven. 

I would marinade it in red wine once boned out, you should really have a search on the internet for recipes. It's OK Mr blogs telling you what they do to "their" taste but you know what you like. 

Incidently I've got a sausage weekend making venison and Cranberry, with red wine and juniper. Should be round 10k so plenty of sausages. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Brilliant!! Thank you!! Love the idea of rolling it 👍

Boning and rolling also makes it so much easier to carve.  Dougy's correct.  It is your taste that counts first and you can alter that by what you select as a mainade. I personally do not like too much red wine in a marinade.  A good quality light wieght cooking oil and Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, cider whatever floats your boat...experiment. The main thing is to keep it moist as there is very little fat in a haunch as there is in a leg of lamb.

There you go put some cranberries in your stuffing ...I have used it in sausages but must try it next time in a haunch.:good:

Probably not top of your list of things to do, but we turned some venison leg cuts in to burgers and it was fabulous. Our 4 year old boy thought so anyway! Mince the venison, add breadcrumbs, a little onion and grated cheese. Mould in to a ball, then flatten off and dust lightly with flour. The boy thinks he's getting junk food every night, but he's actually getting a high volume, high protein organic meal! He stands head and shoulders above his classmates and is as fit as a butcher's dog, so something must be working.

29 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

Probably not top of your list of things to do, but we turned some venison leg cuts in to burgers and it was fabulous. Our 4 year old boy thought so anyway! Mince the venison, add breadcrumbs, a little onion and grated cheese. Mould in to a ball, then flatten off and dust lightly with flour. The boy thinks he's getting junk food every night, but he's actually getting a high volume, high protein organic meal! He stands head and shoulders above his classmates and is as fit as a butcher's dog, so something must be working.

Fab idea, I’ve some lumps in the freezer, I’ll do that, thanks!

4 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Our butcher has started selling "venison parcels"   Similar burger mix to Houseplant's but in a ball and wrapped in rashers of streaky bacon.  Baked for 30min. they stay moist.

Sounds great - I’m flipping STARVING now after reading that (even if I do hate the word ‘moist’ 😂😂)