When dogs go missing.

nabbers

Might be a silly question, but when a dog gets loose and then walks away, is there any pattern to their behaviour from that point on?    I haven't lost my dog (lately), but there are a lot around here going missing, they seem to  run off and are never seen again.    Someone told me that dogs tend to head down hill when they are lost, is that true?     And as an aside, my old mother puts butter on the paws of a new cat before she lets it ut for the first time so it can find its way home.

Our lab ran off whilst I was out pigeon shooting, its a youngster trait, i watched as he ran off down a hill, back up the hill, over the fence and disappeared. I had no worrys that he would be back some way off any road and on a local estate. He's young and not confident enough to be without his human parents. 20 minutes later he was on the way back, frightened and absolutely cream crackered, winning with his tail between his legs. Lesson learnt (we hope) 

They normally follow walking a regular route , so if you do have a regular walk ptern they are likely to follow that. 

An old dog trainer once told me if your dog runs off, leave an item of clothing with your scent on where you last saw it and go back half an hour or so later and the dog will be sitting by the clothing.

Haven’t used this myself but met a professional dog walker who had lost an alsation in the 600 acre wood we were in. Told her to leave something and come back later. Found out she left a blanket with a note giving her number. Two hours later someone rang her saying the dog was sitting on the blanket!

13 minutes ago, chesterse said:

An old dog trainer once told me if your dog runs off, leave an item of clothing with your scent on where you last saw it and go back half an hour or so later and the dog will be sitting by the clothing.

Haven’t used this myself but met a professional dog walker who had lost an alsation in the 600 acre wood we were in. Told her to leave something and come back later. Found out she left a blanket with a note giving her number. Two hours later someone rang her saying the dog was sitting on the blanket!

That is true, just imagine trying to chase a running dog through woodland. 

If it does happen though something needs to be asked of the owners, was your dog steady enough to be off the lead in the 1st place? 

9 hours ago, chesterse said:

I've done that twice and twice it has worked when contracting on deer in large forestry blocks. I also know another person who that has worked for. 

• 4 weeks later...

My wife volunteers for the Lost Dog Trapping Team. From experience if your dog is spooked and goes into flight mode, there is not a lot you can do to get it back until it settles down. They will live outdoors for months until they hopefully get caught. They stay near water and a food source, usually fruit trees etc.

She got into it when a friends dog disappeared while they were on holiday. Lovely family pet turned wild in minutes. We spent a week chasing the dog around our local area until the owner came back and it walked straight up to him like nothing had happened. We cooked BBq's, left scent trails for her to follow, used trail cams to keep track of her, we always knew roughly where she was but we could never get hold of her.

We were told they tend to find somewhere relatively quiet as a base, then range out in big triangles. Sure enough when we plotted sightings of her they were all in a perfect triangle. Really odd

Edited by Alex C