First stubble shoot.

muncher

Motty called me on Thursday and asked if I fancied a day of to shoot a barley stubble. He said there was a  few about but wasn't sure if a good bag was on. We have shot this field in the past and it had produced big bags,so to me it was a definite yes. We met a the field at 10 only to find very few pigeons down but loads of crows. We watched for a while and with nothing moving we decided to check out other fields, but his proved fruitless.we arrived back at 12 to find a about 30 down feeding so we thought we would have a go. The position of the hide was awkward as we had horses one end and houses the other end. We set up with a rotary out in front and a few plastic decoys with our backs to a hedge and  the wind coming from right to left. The birds trickled in sometimes coming with the wind and others up the hedge and appearing from behind Giving hard chances.We both shot well and had some nice long crossers as well as some coming straight in. We packed up at 5, and we picked up 92 pigeons and two crows. A very enjoyable day off.

IMG-20190712-174258501.jpg

Edited by muncher
Spelling

Well worth having a day off for a very respectable bag , at the moment we haven't got any barley cut but hopefully it should start as soon as the weather is good enough .

We have still got decent numbers on Pea stubble , Lakeside 1000 shot over 70 one day during the week and today we must had shot around 60 between us .

I enjoyed it as much as our last outing. I shouldn't have doubted the birds would arrive, although early on I wasn't too optimistic. I think we made the most of the situation, and was glad my shooting was of a sufficient standard.

I too had my first stubble shoot last week. It was a first time shooting on triticale stubble, a crop grown around here for the first time and cut for biofuel. However, I could not get on it straight away due to being away  and by then it had been disced, so was not attracting the same number of birds. I picked up nowhere near the numbers that Muncher achieved, but my bag for the 2/3 hours that I was out ran well into double figures, something that I hadn’t achieved for a few weeks, so was well pleased. 

No barley hereabouts but the rape is soon to be cut having been sprayed off over two weeks ago.

OB

Well done great report and a worthwhile day off. I've lost count of the number of times we look at a field and decide to leave it due to low numbers. We then return and decide to give it a go and get what we get and it produces a good bag. 

Well done again, the presentation is certainly improving??

Edited by pigeon controller

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done great report and a worthwhile day off. I've lost count of the number of times we look at a field and decide to leave it due to low numbers. We then return and decide to give it a go and get what we get and it produces a good bag. 

Well done again, the presentation is certainly improving??

This is another one of the questions with no definite answer , When is the best time of the day to shoot a field ? , easy to say when the pigeons are there , but how long do you leave a fresh field shooting it ?.

I dare say a field of stubble that is left for a while and the pigeons have had no disturbance you can then shoot it from mid morning on wards , but if only recently cut I find you don't get much shooting till later on during the day .

This might only be a theory as there could be many reasons, such as how many fields you have in the area and how many are cut or going to be cut .

Many a time on your reports you don't start till late in the afternoon and still end up with a big bag , there were and still are the odd field where you can shoot all day , but I still think the majority of pigeons are shot in the afternoon , although I can fully understand if you are taking a day off work you might as well be sitting in a hide getting the odd one than sitting at home waiting till the afternoon before you make a move . 

1 hour ago, aga man said:

A mediocre bag shot over stubble by you 2 no doubt but a great result non the less. Well shot.

I have the great fortune, with Motty of some very productive fields,but I still think that 90 is a big bag. But I will try harder next time. Lol

3 minutes ago, muncher said:

I have the great fortune, with Motty of some very productive fields,but I still think that 90 is a big bag. But I will try harder next time. Lol

Nothing wrong with that and i certainly didnt mean anything by comment.

I guess i was trying to imply you 2 pigeon shooters tend to shoot some bigger bags over stubble.

Perhaps i should have worded it differently.