An Early Saturday Report

I had a phone call on Tursday afternoon requesting urgent assistance as the pigeons were attacking the wheat??

Now this weekend is out of the norm as DB was away and my son had organised a family barbeque for mid day Saturday. I had intented to shoot Friday on the barley we shot last week but the farmer had received many complaints from the "Townies" who had bought houses on the lacal estate asked me not to shoot , he had put two gas guns on the field to keep the birds off 24/7!!!!

So on Friday I headed off to save the wheat from the marauding flocks of pigeons. Before I drove up to the farm I viewed it from the lane, not a bird, no flightline, nothing. So I drove up to the farm and met the farmer who informed me that as he drove up the drive yesterday at least ten birds came off the edge of the field !!!  I explained that they may have been opportunist birds spooked from another area. I spent an hour driving round the farm past standing wheat,beans and oats and only saw five birds cross the land at the far end of the farm the ajoining land had two gas guns going off but no birds visible. So I called it a day.

I decided to look at the turnips that we had shot two weeks ago and as I drove up the lane I could see a few crows passing over the sheep fields so decided to have a go on the corvids. I had no crow decoys but set up on the edge of the grass with the turnips behind me it was now 14.00 and I called my first decoy in. I had left the pigeon decoys in the Disco in the shade and after a few minutes was amazed when a pigeon came flighting along the hedge and was shot. I put it out away from the crows. As the day went on I had a steady stream of corvids come to the decoys and towards the end of the afternoon more pigeons flighting across in front of me which were great shots as you had to throw the gun forward to match the speed of these crossing birds.

I stopped shooting at 18.00 and picked up seventyseven corvids and twentyfour pigeons, I knew I was close to a hundred birds but not bang on!!

From a disatrous start the day ended well.

100-3412.jpg

24 Pigeons and 74 corvids