Watching other's pigeon shooting

B725

Me and little Stan have just spent a good half hour watching two chap's pigeon shooting over blown barley. It's down in 2-3metre strips from top to bottom, one was clearly in the wrong place 60 metres further along and at the end of one of the strips would have been ideal, if a situation like this ever needed a couple of flying pigeon or bouncers than this was it. They had around 40 shots and I never saw one come down, they could have made it easier for themselves with a bit of thought still as long as they enjoy themselves. 

I had a conversation with B_B about this yesterday . We often find others shooting and it seems that a lot have not got a clue , wrong way wind, decoys and magnet shining. The hide discipline of some is very bad with heads bobbing up and down, barrels shining above the hide etc. You watch the birds back off from the decoys and then two out of range shots.

Have you been watching them PC? the pigeon did flare away and as you said two long shots and nowt for it, they are still banging away as I can hear them as I sit with a cup of tea on my back garden. I have asked the farmer a few time's if I can go but he just says I have someone who comes shame really as it less than a 5 minute walk from home and I take little Stan in the field's there every day. 

They have been a few time's not often when it's cold though. One approached my mate last year when we where shooting next door so to speak and he said you had better leave MY partridges alone, I didn't realise wild bird's belong to anyone. I have no intension of shooting them but not because of him. Unfortunately around here the shooting is closely guarded, I am quite happy to work together but it rarely happens. 

the trouble is there are a lot of people out there hell bent in setting up and expecting everything to fall in place from the word go, you would think by now that the penny would have dropped , with all the info out there , experience is the teacher ,still as long as there banging away , and the farmer thinks they are having a good day what the hell .

love and hate watching other folk shooting................love to see good shooting and folk getting stuck in..........

get really really frustrated at seeing poor shooting in a good situation....end up talking out loud. and cursing amnd swearing....:lol:

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

love and hate watching other folk shooting................love to see good shooting and folk getting stuck in..........

get really really frustrated at seeing poor shooting in a good situation....end up talking out loud. and cursing amnd swearing....:lol:

ain't that the truth.

I don't often watch other people shooting pigeons mainly because we don't have that many pigeon shooters and most of the places where I shoot I am the only one who go .

A good pigeon shooter can make it look fairly easy , it is not luck he is in the right place , pulling in pigeons to more or less where he wants to shoot them and then dropping most of what he fire at .

When he first pull up to the field his field craft will tell him where would be the most likely place to set up , he will take the sun in his face and wind direction in consideration , he will then set his decoys up to suit how he shoot best but if he is a tidy shot he will be able to take on virtually every thing that comes into range .

At the other end of the scale , they take very little time working out where they are coming from and where they want to go , they then set up where they want to go and not where the pigeons want to go resulting in taking on long shots and at worst moving across the field to try somewhere different , in most cases they will get better as time wears on , or you will see another lot of pigeon gear on the other sales on the forum .

As PC has already said, we had a chat about this subject. I watched 3 blokes shooting a field of laid barley 2 weeks ago with pigeon pouring in. They hardly hit a thing and we’re set up in completely the wrong place.  I had to leave after 20 mins of watching as I was getting frustrated. I shot the same field last weekend for 371. 

13 hours ago, bunny_blaster said:

As PC has already said, we had a chat about this subject. I watched 3 blokes shooting a field of laid barley 2 weeks ago with pigeon pouring in. They hardly hit a thing and we’re set up in completely the wrong place.  I had to leave after 20 mins of watching as I was getting frustrated. I shot the same field last weekend for 371. 

YES 371 !!!!! , which I believe is a personal best , well done Ben.

Edited by pigeon controller

I would love to learn of an old hand. I am trying to glean what i can from some of the more experienced here. i would pay money for help...it is just such fun. I have manged to sort a few permissions and got most of the kit. just time now, get out and try stuff. Sadly there are not the numbers of pigeons down here in Cornwall that there seem to be everywhere else. so it is hard going. It is rewarding though, i had a session last week, set up my hide, cut a few bits of trees to add realism. had the wind behind me, had watched the fields of baby cauliflowers getting nailed for a few days, so had done my recon.  set up a pattern, still not convinced i have that right, my magnet needs to be adapted too, the bird cradles are not man enough.....however i shot 19 in an afternoon, with a couple of left and rights. the birds that did come in flew straight into the big gap i had in the middle of the pattern almost straight into the wind and at my hide, so i figure i got something right........

Nice steady afternoon sound's like your doing thing's right, it's not all about huge number's your doing the farmer a service and enjoying it at the same time, one day it will all come together and the pigeons will come. 

56 minutes ago, B725 said:

Nice steady afternoon sound's like your doing thing's right, it's not all about huge number's your doing the farmer a service and enjoying it at the same time, one day it will all come together and the pigeons will come. 

You can only shoot the pigeons that are there, if twenty return and you shoot eighteen that's excellent, just remember what works.

Edited by pigeon controller

ive seen at close quarters someone pigeon shooting that thought they were the dogs daglies of all pigeon shooters, pigeons going straight in to the decoys,2 shots fired and birds keep on flying past. At the end of the day 200 empty cases in a pile in the hide with 2 or 3 pigeons belly up in the field. 

All the gear in the field, floater,peckers whirly gig, flask of coffee and sandwiches the lot so much in fact i doubt the pigeons had enough room to land anyway. 

But you know what ? i enjoy it. 😉

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:06, Zimtrout said:

I would love to learn of an old hand. I am trying to glean what i can from some of the more experienced here. i would pay money for help...it is just such fun. I have manged to sort a few permissions and got most of the kit. just time now, get out and try stuff. Sadly there are not the numbers of pigeons down here in Cornwall that there seem to be everywhere else. so it is hard going. It is rewarding though, i had a session last week, set up my hide, cut a few bits of trees to add realism. had the wind behind me, had watched the fields of baby cauliflowers getting nailed for a few days, so had done my recon.  set up a pattern, still not convinced i have that right, my magnet needs to be adapted too, the bird cradles are not man enough.....however i shot 19 in an afternoon, with a couple of left and rights. the birds that did come in flew straight into the big gap i had in the middle of the pattern almost straight into the wind and at my hide, so i figure i got something right........

Well done for making the best of what you have - I must admit I'm surprised that they let you shoot over Caullies, imagine Mrs Warleggan cutting one in half and finding a load of No. 6 shot inside, Tesco's could get their bottoms sued.  :)

3 hours ago, martinj said:

Well done for making the best of what you have - I must admit I'm surprised that they let you shoot over Caullies, imagine Mrs Warleggan cutting one in half and finding a load of No. 6 shot inside, Tesco's could get their bottoms sued. 

cauliflowers are about three inches tall at the moment.....