Anyone have a trailer tent

paul1966

Our old caravan is on its last legs and we can't really afford a newer one so we are looking at cheaper options. Basically it's a tent or trailer tent. Has anyone on here got one, are they any more harder to errect than tents. Not sleeping on the floor is a bonus to me. We would have a budget of around £500 for a used one.

The good Lady and I had one for a while, after we sold our caravan.

Much easier to tow and manouvere manually. Pretty straightforward to put up, but you'll need at least 2 people, and much more spacious than a 'van or a regular tent (which we also used when we were younger and more mobile.).

If memory serves, we bought it secondhand for well under £400. It came with pots, pans and a 2 hob camping cooker. We used it for a year and sold it for £600 !

Shop around, at the right time of year, and there's bargains to be had !

I have a Rapido folding caravan! 350kg packs to the size of a trailer tent. Folds out into a 4 berth caravan. Made from the 1970s until around 1990 and quite collectible. Take a look at Rapido Confort and see what you think. They also do a mid range one called record, and the large beast is the export! Mine “Confort” is the smallest. 

2AD5590B-C01A-484D-B547-791EC144011E.jpeg

We have jyst bought a Coleman Valdes 4 air, the Mrs was no way sleeping on the floor so we bought a king size blow up bed.  Its the dogs danglies.

BUT, she now wants the Valdes air 6xl. 

They are simple to erect if your interested let me know, used twice,  she may sell it. 

30 to 40 minutes to set up a trailer tent. 

A modern extra large air tent is up and ready in 10 to 15 minutes with a hand pump. Buy a electric pump and done in 5 mins.

If your under canvas it wants to be as simple and quick as can be.  Modern air beds and folding beds with memory foam are very good.

30 to 40 minutes ,no air back then Figgy ,maybe youve heard of metal poles and canvas that has to be pulled over and tied on to the frame? Thats why ,all this modern air is wonderful BUT his budget is under £500 so is he going to get new air for that 

No experience with trailer tents, but... We’ve got a modern (monster) tent.  8 man, it’s huge, bigger than my first flatbim sure. Takes about 15 mins to set up. My sister has a comparable air tent, it must save about 5 minutes putting it up. Not worth it my opinion (and I think they’re cool and totally wanted to get one). Although maybe a lot, lot easier if just one person is putting it up mind you. 

I have what they call a motor van annexe. Like a caravan awning with a frame and a back. Big zip doors on sides and back, big windows in the front. The idea is the back door zips down around the side or back door so the back of the vehicle is part of. Benefit is not towing anything, don't need a driveway and when you want to go exploring you just close the zip door and drive away.And you can add bedrooms to the sides.

On 14/07/2019 at 19:26, clakk said:

30 to 40 minutes ,no air back then Figgy ,maybe youve heard of metal poles and canvas that has to be pulled over and tied on to the frame? Thats why ,all this modern air is wonderful BUT his budget is under £500 so is he going to get new air for that 

Yes easily within budget.

Decathlon have some and Go outdoors have at least two within his budget.

If he keeps an eye out they will discount them soon,  the season for buying tents is just about over. People going camping soon already have bought them was what I was told.

Edited by figgy

On 14/07/2019 at 19:26, clakk said:

But he can buy one thats only been used twice for £300, nearly 1/2 price on new. 😊

We are upgrading to the Coleman valdes 6XL

Edited by Dougy

We've got one, got it off a family member so was very cheap.

I think it's brilliant, better than a tent, not quite caravan standards, but at a fraction of the price. Can get onto some sites that won't allow caravans, which is a bonus for us.

Some of them do have massive awnings, thats the only bits that take 2 people to put up. The main part is easily done with one person.