Steel shot

FOXHUNTER1

Standard steel cartridges in shot size less than no.3 are designed to be used in guns, subject to certain conditions, with fixed choke, up to and including full. This advice comes from the CIP, the international proof council, who carried out extensive testing before making the statements embodied in the attached document.

You are not risking injury or worse by doing this. You are complying with CIP advice. British cartridge makers take a very risk adverse stance on this whilst American cartridge manufacturers don`t even mention it.

The mention of half choke and standard steel amunition is a persistent misunderstanding of what the CIP advice actually says.

Please read the first paragraph carefully, and then read it again.

Edited by mudpatten

8 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

so i had a 3 inch magnum semi auto the makers stated steel shot must NOT be used with more than half choke  so if i blew my hand off or worse do you think cip would accept it was their fault for not agreeing with the gun maker would they heck

Steel shot does not blow up fix choked barrels, there is a possibility that due to over constriction that steel pellets may force themselves through plastic wad and score barrels and if you fired 10,000 shells you may end up removing the choke or causing slight bulging on steep tapered chokes , neither of which is going to injure the Shooter.

19 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

the semi auto was a pietta mistral 3 inch magnum multi choke     

I suspect the problem isn't the gun itself but the multichokes which are not strong enough (or tolerances are not good enough) to resist the bulging effect resulting in stuck chokes, hence the prohibition on steel use.

yes and that is why it is bad to say you can use full choke for steel in a gun thats not proofed for it   fixed choke or not  if someone took you or someone elses advice and used a gun that was not proofed for steel  and got injured  would you accept the blame   the guns could have thin barrels etc

here is one example  i went to buy a remington semi auto a good few years ago  when i looked thru the barrel it was like it had been hit with a ball pin hammer all the thru the barrel i said to the guy you have put steel ball bearings thru the gun its now ruined  he said he was told it was ok to put steel shot thru it

I see. My own experience with steel shot in non steel shot proofed guns has been quite extensive over the years. 

I’ve used ( mostly ) HP steel shot in all my Winchester 101’s at some time or another, with no ill effects, and also through a 3/4 fixed choke Browning auto. 

3 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

here is one example  i went to buy a remington semi auto a good few years ago  when i looked thru the barrel it was like it had been hit with a ball pin hammer all the thru the barrel i said to the guy you have put steel ball bearings thru the gun its now ruined  he said he was told it was ok to put steel shot thru it

The example you give is caused by the failure of the wad to contain the shot until it leaves the muzzle, and nothing to do with choke constriction. This will occur even in steel shot proofed barrels, if the wad fails to do its job. 

57 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Steel is pretty variable stuff. What shot is made from would be better described as soft iron, but the name has stuck. Mind you when so-called copper shot turns out to lead under a Cu rinse.....

Teach us to speak American. Mind you, soft iron does sound a tad wimpish whereas steel has a nice solid testosterone ring to it. 'er indoors says that the other sounds like something she read about in the hair-dressers.

11 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Steel shot does not blow up fix choked barrels, there is a possibility that due to over constriction that steel pellets may force themselves through plastic wad and score barrels and if you fired 10,000 shells you may end up removing the choke or causing slight bulging on steep tapered chokes , neither of which is going to injure the Shooter.

Thanks for the information.  I won't be using my gun a lot only duck flighting this season so after reading the above will follow your advice.⁷

9 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

foxhunter1  please take your s/s into your local gunshop and ask if its ok to use steel shot cartridges thru it with the chokes it has and see what reply you get

In my experience, most people behind the counter in gun shops will not have a clue.

my god this is like the guy who asked can you use .308 ammunition in a 7.62   the .308 is proofed for a lot higher pressure plus a heavier bullet head than the 7.62  you will see videos on the net people puting .308 ammo thru a 7.62  but its blooming dangerous and totaly stupid like the ones shooting batteries etc thru shotguns

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

That's what I thought so wanted advice from people who have experience.  Anyone shot steel through a full choke then ?

Yes i have fired plenty through full fixed choke. Factory loaded gamebore 32gm no 4. The gun was not steel proofed.

Cant comment on any bigger shot sizes though.