Steel shot

FOXHUNTER1

I`ve regularly shot  28gms of no.5 standard steel through a full and half choke AYA Yeoman sbs with no ill effect whatsoever. I`ve since had the chokes relieved to 1/2 and 1/4 but that was only because steel does not seem to like overly tight chokes and it did not pattern well through the tight barrels. Opening them up has significantly improved the patterens.

Using standard steel shot through an appropriate gun is perfectly safe and in accordance with CIP advice. The notion that your gun will "blow up" when using steel is nonsensical since the pressures generated are broadly similar. Thats not to say that your gun won`t ever blow up. I know of a brand new "B" made gun that recently failed catastrophically - fortunately without injuring the firer - and that had never been near a steel cartridge, so it does happen. Mostly not involving steel though, but thats another story.

As London Best has already observed, most people behind the counter in a gun shop have a very limited knowledge on the subject. As an exercise, print off the CIP advice sheet and then question your favourite retailer about the technical issues thereon. I`ll warrant that most will get almost all of it wrong.

And just to complicate the issue, take a look at the film below. This involved using High Performance 3" ammo through a non steel proofed gun with half and quarter choke. The gun did not blow up and suffered no ill effect save for a slight ring bulge at the end of the half choke barrel. The gunsmith who worked on the chokes said the gun, a Ugartechea, was made of significantly softer metal than the two AYA`s he did along with it so perhaps that`s an aspect of the guns construction worth further investigation. The purpose of the experiment was to push the boundaries of our knowledge of the practical use of steel shot. I continue to use my AYA Yeoman SBS with steel with no ill effect and I have at least some experience of pushing the boundaries rather than simply saying "We`re all going to die!"

Go to Denmark or Holland and watch people to no ill effect shoot their B25’s or higher end Berettas with steel 24-34gr 3-7 shot with no problem with tight chokes. 

Id not think twice about shooting any 28/32gr steel through any 70mm gun and any choke as long as the gun was in decent, safe condition.

Iv shot steel, through my sxs aya yeoman, choked half and full,..it's my main duck gun, I am out shooting most mornings during the season... It normally gets gamebore super steel, # 3&4  but I have loaded up nickel plated #b steel and used that through it too when after geese. Gun is still in fine working order and barrels are spotless 

4 hours ago, Smiler23 said:

Iv shot steel, through my sxs aya yeoman, choked half and full,..it's my main duck gun, I am out shooting most mornings during the season... It normally gets gamebore super steel, # 3&4  but I have loaded up nickel plated #b steel and used that through it too when after geese. Gun is still in fine working order and barrels are spotless 

Thanks , that is what I wanted to hear 👍🦆

On 13/07/2019 at 23:27, Stonepark said:

Steel shot does not blow up fix choked barrels, there is a possibility that due to over constriction that steel pellets may force themselves through plastic wad and score barrels and if you fired 10,000 shells you may end up removing the choke or causing slight bulging on steep tapered chokes , neither of which is going to injure the Shooter.

Think you will find it probably ring bulges the barrel just before the choke. I've seen this happen to a friend's fixed choke gun.

On 14/07/2019 at 12:53, FOXHUNTER1 said:

That's what I thought so wanted advice from people who have experience.  Anyone shot steel through a full choke then ?

I have shot steel through many non steel proofed guns. I have used steel through super full chokes. My Fausti 10 o/u is fixed full and full, and not steel proofed. I have fired 48gm 4mm steel through it with no issues.

It us up to you what you put through your guns. A lot of people are far too cautious when it comes to using steel shot.

2 minutes ago, motty said:

I have shot steel through many non steel proofed guns. I have used steel through super full chokes. My Fausti 10 o/u is fixed full and full, and not steel proofed. I have fired 48gm 4mm steel through it with no issues.

It us up to you what you put through your guns. A lot of people are far too cautious when it comes to using steel shot.

Thanks motty, I just wanted to hear from experience not just hearsay.👍

Edited by FOXHUNTER1