Boss taking you for granted

mgsontour

Hi, my son ( he is 22 year old ) works with a self-employed roofer and is getting taken for a ride. . . he turns up every morning at 7.45, picks him up and returns him about 5pm ( midday on a Saturday ) and he walks away with only £300 a week. . . .is normal wages for that kind of hard graft?
The reason I ask is the roofer charges about £200 per hour so there is plenty room for paying a decent wage or is he taking the ****

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only taking the pee if your son thinks so.

Is he a skilled roofer himself or just a labourer?

If only labouring, the roofer can probably find any number of willing people.

If your son is a qaulified roofer he needs to ask for more and be prepared to go it alone.

Edited by figgy

What would that be ... £18k a year give or take. 

Depends if he is learning anything and picking up a trade or is just being used as a general dogs body. 

If it’s the latter then Aldi is a damn site warmer in the winter

I thought this is the point of a free market? 

Your son can ask for more money and if not offered he is free to leave and seek employment elsewhere 🤷‍♂️.

I’ve met many people in work and he vast majority of them think the following; 

1) they’re amazing at their job, 

2) it would be very hard to replace them because of what a great job they do, 

3) they’re underpaid and are worth so much more. 

What also seems to be common however is that none of these people ever manage to find someone else who will pay them significantly more (what they claim to be worth), and continue working for the same person and complaining year after year. 

If your son is an exception to the above, tell him to ask for a pay increase and if not be polite but start looking for work elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

It's only taking the pee if your son thinks so.

Is he a skilled roofer himself or just a labourer?

If only labouring, the roofer can probably find any number of willing people.

If your son is a qaulified roofer he needs to ask for more and be prepared to go it alone.

Boom . Exactly this

26 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Your son can ask for more money and if not offered he is free to leave and seek employment elsewhere 🤷‍♂️.

What also seems to be common however is that none of these people ever manage to find someone else who will pay them significantly more (what they claim to be worth), and continue working for the same person and complaining year after year. 

If your son is an exception to the above, tell him to ask for a pay increase and if not be polite but start looking for work elsewhere. 

For a change I agree.

I employ lads and I normally ask them what they would pay for themselves. What would their parents pay for them ??? 

I don’t hide anything from my lads. Ive shown them my bills , the amount allocated for a job, materials price list.

ive even shown them my wages. I count myself as a good boss and we have a laugh between us. I do anything I feel is a little dangerous as they’re young (19,20,21) and less experienced plus it’s my fingers then. 

I find it’s best telling them I’ve £30 in for a job so they know what I’m expecting for time , quality etc

3 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Hi, my son ( he is 22 year old ) works with a self-employed roofer and is getting taken for a ride. . . he turns up every morning at 7.45, picks him up and returns him about 5pm ( midday on a Saturday ) and he walks away with only £300 a week. . . .is normal wages for that kind of hard graft?
The reason I ask is the roofer charges about £200 per hour so there is plenty room for paying a decent wage or is he taking the ****

£200 per hour??

Typo surely?!

I often hear people say they make £x an hour/day/week but what that really means is that one job paid £x and only took an hour, or they had a good day or week, not that they get (in this case) £1600 a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Big difference.

Back to the OP's son; many factors to consider. His ability/experience, cash in hand?, being taught, regular guaranteed wage? Location will also play a big part.

£300 A week for a labourer in my area is about right.

Edd

As edd says 300 a week aint bad. I'm on just a bit above the 'living wage' and take home 310 I think after tax with the council. 

But doing private work I charge about 150 a day. Which is why I work weekends as well. 

Ive never worked on a proper building site where you need your Cs or some such tickets but id imagine youd get a touch more dosh

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Totally agree 

OB

Very interesting comments and hear what you all saying and agree with most of it, we are in Blackpool and there are lot's of roofs and the suppliers for the industry are always packed as others are for different trades, the plumbers/joiners/sparks etc all seem happy and in full employment and recon son should shut up and learn as most of you suggest and get his own van and get out there and do it for himself; suppose I'm just old fashioned and think the numbers are all too high but if that's the price today for a tradesman then so be it and wish every youngster all the best as it's beyond me in the cash involved

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

Very interesting comments and hear what you all saying and agree with most of it, we are in Blackpool and there are lot's of roofs and the suppliers for the industry are always packed as others are for different trades, the plumbers/joiners/sparks etc all seem happy and in full employment and recon son should shut up and learn as most of you suggest and get his own van and get out there and do it for himself; suppose I'm just old fashioned and think the numbers are all too high but if that's the price today for a tradesman then so be it and wish every youngster all the best as it's beyond me in the cash involved

Make sure he learns properly . I’ve taught several lads and the last few to leave were the worst for it. They left knowing how to hang a door/ fit skirting/bits of roofing but only enough knowledge to do it badly and looking at their reviews it shows. 

A little knowledge is dangerous as you know . 

I have lads asking me to teach them to hang a door because it’s £50 . Not interested in learning the trade really and I’m not interested in teaching them .

16 hours ago, mgsontour said:

At that kind of wage it sound like NLW so really if he is being taught the trade it’s not bad! I am a warehouse/store man and on NLW at 48. I am not training, and like your sons job it’s hard heavy labour intensive graft. Hopefully once he gets trained up he can start out on his own? 

Yep here all people start on the same wage about 30p an hour more than minimum but as you "learn" and go you get more the more you can do .But they have a simple approach to "i want this or i deserve this ,well the rate for the job is x per hour so there,s the door have a nice life .

All jobs have a set rate and they are known so dummy spitting and do you know who i am goes down like a no2 in a fridge ,and has never worked .My 17 year old grandson gets 30 a day as a trainee chippy so £300 would be manna from heaven for him atb 

It’s  well worth looking around at what he might get elsewhere. I have rarely done badly from negotiating on price, either by taking cheaper work in exchange for other perks or where I have turned down work for being priced too low.  ‘that’s our standard rate’ can be met with ‘I will go elsewhere then’. You do need to be able to walk though and they need to know you can. 

2 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

It’s  well worth looking around at what he might get elsewhere. I have rarely done badly from negotiating on price, either by taking cheaper work in exchange for other perks or where I have turned down work for being priced too low.  ‘that’s our standard rate’ can be met with ‘I will go elsewhere then’. You do need to be able to walk though and they need to know you can. 

Problem is that leaves a bad taste with bosses . You spend 40 hours a week with them so it’s good to get on

It’s always worth being on the lookout at what else is available, you just don’t throw it in the bosses face. 

Thats poor diplomacy. 

If someone came to you and politely asked to discuss their wages, and if declined politely said not a problem, then went away and found another job, gave notice and left then the boss can only blame themselves. 

If someone goes and tells the boss they want more money or they’ll walk they don’t have great negotiation skills.