Boss taking you for granted

mgsontour

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:20, pork chop said:

If he isn’t happy 

only way is vote with his feet 

best way sometimes 

I did just that over 18 months back & It was the best decision ever. I worked as a structural & architectural welder (boss had free yard etc due to the FIL being a famer) & he was always busy with work through word of mouth. I started off on £8 ph as I was learning the trade (started off with nvq certs in welding wich I went to college & paid for myself as I wanted to learn how to weld my defender) & through the years talking to various people learning what they earned, I asked for a pay rise wich I got. Over the next year I gradually was getting my pay upped 50p ph every 4 months or so, but when you find some people doing the same work or even less than I was I decided to vote with my feet. There was even one guy on a site in Bow, who my boss had sub contracted work to, that couldn't even weld & was getting £11 ph. He told me the closest he got to the welder was carrying it for the other guy & there was me dropping in supplies to him, driving back to workshop over an hour away fabbing bits up from drawings & delivering them back to them & helping with the install. I was working on avg 57 hours a week & had offers from other employers in the welding trade. In the end I told my 2 other work colleague I'm not settling for this & was going to look for another job, wich they didn't believe & I told them " I`m not one of these people that moan about their work & are still there years later" got the job & quit. Got to say it was the best decision ever as I spend more time with my kids, work 36 hours a week and finish 4pm everyday without fail & earn better £ with an extra 12 days holiday a year & better pension.

Dan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 22/07/2019 at 12:38, Mullard83 said:

I did just that over 18 months back & It was the best decision ever. I worked as a structural & architectural welder (boss had free yard etc due to the FIL being a famer) & he was always busy with work through word of mouth. I started off on £8 ph as I was learning the trade (started off with nvq certs in welding wich I went to college & paid for myself as I wanted to learn how to weld my defender) & through the years talking to various people learning what they earned, I asked for a pay rise wich I got. Over the next year I gradually was getting my pay upped 50p ph every 4 months or so, but when you find some people doing the same work or even less than I was I decided to vote with my feet. There was even one guy on a site in Bow, who my boss had sub contracted work to, that couldn't even weld & was getting £11 ph. He told me the closest he got to the welder was carrying it for the other guy & there was me dropping in supplies to him, driving back to workshop over an hour away fabbing bits up from drawings & delivering them back to them & helping with the install. I was working on avg 57 hours a week & had offers from other employers in the welding trade. In the end I told my 2 other work colleague I'm not settling for this & was going to look for another job, wich they didn't believe & I told them " I`m not one of these people that moan about their work & are still there years later" got the job & quit. Got to say it was the best decision ever as I spend more time with my kids, work 36 hours a week and finish 4pm everyday without fail & earn better £ with an extra 12 days holiday a year & better pension.

Dan

Well done, invest part of your income and life should be good

On 26/07/2019 at 19:03, mgsontour said:

Well done, invest part of your income and life should be good

Will do. I get a guaranteed yearly, incremental pay rise & as they have a good pension I will put it towards that. I wish the other guy was`nt so loyal to the ex-boss. When the boss started his co. it was during the recession. He had started up the co. & offered this guy a job self employed & agreed on £10 ph & has`nt given himself a pay rise in all the years he has been there. He is afraid that the boss will tell him to leave & he is afraid he won`t get another job due to his age. I told him experiance counts for alot & as he does`nt drive, he should get a job in bedford to save his wife driving 25 miles each way to drop him off & then collect him again. I told him he is being used, but he just won`t have it.

Dan