Got a top on it...

Walker570

Some of you will remember a discussion we had on here regarding artificially putting twist on a stick by winding cord around a new growing stem.  Well I did just that with two hazels and this winter just could not wait any longer and cut one of them to see what was happening.  I have had it drying in the garage roof since then and i was sorting some other stuff and found a fallow pricket antler which had already been mounted on a walking stick but that stick had got broken.  Had a look and decided to mount it on my 'artificial' twisted hazel.  Left the stick at about 5ft long and it will be a handy little stick when out walking just to act as a third leg now and then. Can't wait now to see how the other turns out and really should leave it another year at least ..BUT:rolleyes:

I just rubbed this one down with some medium wire wool to remove the fine outer skin of the hazel but not the colour and oiled it with boiled linseed oil.

001.jpg

003.jpg

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, did consider drilling a couple of holes and gluing in some eyes

Glad you saw the likeness , no doubt from another angle it would completely different and nothing like a seagulls head , very smart all the same and it put my ole stick to shame .:good:

Hah Hah.  It did draw peoples attention when mounted on the old stick for the same reason.  Had no intention of making a fancy stick and that antler was there and had a bolt already J&B'd in, just drilled the hole and added a bit more glue.  I have wrapped another hazel with some slightly thicker cord and only hope I live long enough to see the result, that being the problem as they really do need four or five years if not more, to really make a mark.

Edited by Walker570