Newby Learning curve

Jacko3275

Learnt a hell of a lot today out with jdog that there can be loads of pigeons but if there are no flight lines then there is no shooting we spent at least 3 hrs driving round looking at possible place to set up the birds fly off but the don’t seem to want to return  or they are landing in different parts of afield with no real set pattern as to where they are coming from or going too . Then we find a flight line which looks strong 20 or so birds flying in on the space of a couple of minutes  so we walk up with the gear an maybe 50 birds go in separate groups as we near where we are going to set up .. so we set up jdog set his rotary I put the decoys out on the birdy crop and game on, 30 mins in not a bird in the sky anywhere it was like pigeons had all gone to bed till one one popped over an hedge and set of away from us and jdog one shot one kill 45 /50 yards away took it out  we gave it another 15 minutes  and not a sign of anything so jdog  called an halt and we packed up to go try a flight line shoot just with gun no kit ... when we got to where we where hoping for a strong flight line that one too faded but one came in  high and quite far out I shot I hit plume of feather but wasn’t sure I had a kill till jdog told me it dropped. So between us we had an 100% kill  rate   ... cheers again jdog  hope I have gave a good enough description of events

Edited by Jacko3275

Everyone up and down the country can relate to similar days as you have just reported on , that's what make a good day that much sweeter , some days it can be the reverse , you go out with low expectations and then end up with a good bag , all part of the pigeon shooters package . 

Well done Jacko for the report and JDog for the mentoring. The best tool for pigeon shooting in my opinion is observation, you see a flightline and follow it but you must also remember observation. We have set up in the anticipation of a known flightline staring after we have set up in other words " Know Your Ground"