Nissan XTrail

toxo

Just had my 07 XTrail columbia wiped out whilst I was indoors watching the telly. Loved it except for the noisy timing chain. Don't know what they're gonna offer me but have to look for something. Question is have the later XTrails solved the noisy chain or what else should I be looking at? Auto diesel preferably and budget is limited. Thanks guys.

57 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

I’d look at a Land Rover discovery 3 

I wouldn't!

I had a 55 plate X-Trail from brand new, kept it for 8.5 years, the longest I ever kept any vihicle by years, then it fell apart and virtually everything expensive went wrong at the same time. Virtually flawless up to then.

I got a LR then, nothing but trouble, so I got a Brand New one, it was even wose, 14 warranty returns, and after non stop warfare with JLR and the dealer they supplied me a replacement brand new one.

Problem with the New X-Trails is they are nothing like the original and have a ****y Renault engine now.

Pal of mine just spent £100K on a brand new Range Rover, it nearly lasted a month before it broke down.

In honesty I don't know what I'll get next, but I can be very confident it will NOT be a JLR product!

Edited by Dekers

9 hours ago, Dekers said:

I wouldn't!

I had a 55 plate X-Trail from brand new, kept it for 8.5 years, the longest I ever kept any vihicle by years, then it fell apart and virtually everything expensive went wrong at the same time. Virtually flawless up to then.

I got a LR then, nothing but trouble, so I got a Brand New one, it was even wose, 14 warranty returns, and after non stop warfare with JLR and the dealer they supplied me a replacement brand new one.

Problem with the New X-Trails is they are nothing like the original and have a ****y Renault engine now.

Pal of mine just spent £100K on a brand new Range Rover, it nearly lasted a month before it broke down.

In honesty I don't know what I'll get next, but I can be very confident it will NOT be a JLR product!

When was the engine change Deker? The engine on my diesel 07 was great. In fact the only fault for me is/was (they've just taken it away) the noisy timing chain and the stupid built in sat nav. Might have to stump up for an 08 to get rid of the sat nav.

Still driving my 54 plate 2.2 dci and will look at getting another later version when this one dies. Relatively trouble free up until the last 2 years where I’ve had a couple of scary big bills with a new fuel pump and clutch.

Interested in opinions on the new Xtrails and how they compare to the old style. Looks-wise it is a totally different car.

3 hours ago, toxo said:

When was the engine change Deker? The engine on my diesel 07 was great. In fact the only fault for me is/was (they've just taken it away) the noisy timing chain and the stupid built in sat nav. Might have to stump up for an 08 to get rid of the sat nav.

Mine was the 2.2 diesel, never had a problem with the engine.  Had they just moved to the 2.0 Diesel in your 07?

Timing chain was noisy in later life!  Sat Nav was fine except it didn't know what a Post Code was and needed £300 CDs to update it (I never invested)!

2 hours ago, MrPhantom said:

Still driving my 54 plate 2.2 dci and will look at getting another later version when this one dies. Relatively trouble free up until the last 2 years where I’ve had a couple of scary big bills with a new fuel pump and clutch.

Interested in opinions on the new Xtrails and how they compare to the old style. Looks-wise it is a totally different car.

I don't know if it will be across the whole model range of the X Trail, but at least some have Renault engines now, so a totally different vehicle with a totally different engine!

Edited by Dekers

My wife has a disco 3 and loves it. we bought it 2 years ago and its been faultless. BUT- we bought it from my son who is a mechanic, and before he sold it to us he replaced the timing belts, oil pump-known to fail on a mounting bolt, diesel pump belt and did a full service and mot. the electric handbrake had been done not too long before. if you get one thats been looked after they are good cars, but they are expensive to run and there are a lot about that haven't been serviced properly because its expensive to do thoroughly. There are thousands on the road and they can't all be bad, but again-they are expensive to run and repair. my xtrail was written off two years ago and I bought a 2012 grand vitara 2.4 petrol. it hasn't got the room of the old xtrail, which I miss. It drives like a car rather than a 4x4-it handles nicer than a disco 3. whatever car you ask about there will be lovers and haters. personally I'm not a  fan of anything with a dpf fitted- silly idea prone to trouble. newer xtrail has it and thats why I didn't buy one.

2 hours ago, Dekers said:

Mine was the 2.2 diesel, never had a problem with the engine.  Had they just moved to the 2.0 Diesel in your 07?

Timing chain was noisy in later life!  Sat Nav was fine except it didn't know what a Post Code was and needed £300 CDs to update it (I never invested)!

I don't know if it will be across the whole model range of the X Trail, but at least some have Renault engines now, so a totally different vehicle with a totally different engine!

2.2 diesel. Couldn't fault it apart from the timing chain. Probably the same as yours with the clocks off to the side. Wanted a posh van and it certainly fits the bill. Depending on what they offer me I might be able to afford a late 07 2.0 dCi 6AT AWD which is the updated version with the clocks in the normal place behind the steering wheel. It's got 150,000 but all the toys inc rev camera and heated seats. The mileage doesn't phase me, now I'm retired I hardly do any miles. Just looked at my mot, 6th March last year it had 101,098 on it. Mot a couple of months ago - 103,014.

If you don't do many miles buy what you want.

Running costs would be low at under 3k a year.

A Volvo XC90 is a nice drive and a good one isn't too expensive. Auto box and 2.4 diesel engine is good for many hundreds of thousands of miles.

I've had a t30 2.2ltr  bought second hand kept it for 5yrs until timing chain went & wrecked the engine (14 months after getting a full new kit fitted) had a td5 (that's all I'm saying on that 1) shogun 2.5td was good until bottom pulley went , toyota hilux surf needed an engine replacement after 6 weeks of owning it got a good S/H one & fitted myself kept it four yrs then sold it on still going strong .. automatic vehicles I've had a jeep grand Cherokee 2.7crd and regret every minute of selling it then had a couple of 2wd cars now got a Volvo xc90 d5 auto 

My order of likes

1 jeep grand Cherokee (not as good as the t30 on fuel)

2 xtrail t30

3 Volvo xc90

If they done the t30 in automatic diesel that's what I'd have now but they don't and the Renault engined ones aren't a patch on the 2.2td nissan unit (as long as you keep on top of the chain)

Edited by hodge911

This is all very confusing. they've offered me under 2000 with the 195 excess taken of (which I call a right liberty when I was sitting in my armchair at the time). Of course I declined it but if i look down the back of the sofa I might manage a late 07 or an 08 with auto and the 2l engine and auto. With the two penn'orth of miles that I do I'm not gonna worry about the engine as long as it doesn't have that rattly chain. Was it sorted by then?

5 hours ago, toxo said:

This is all very confusing. they've offered me under 2000 with the 195 excess taken of (which I call a right liberty when I was sitting in my armchair at the time). Of course I declined it but if i look down the back of the sofa I might manage a late 07 or an 08 with auto and the 2l engine and auto. With the two penn'orth of miles that I do I'm not gonna worry about the engine as long as it doesn't have that rattly chain. Was it sorted by then?

If a 2.5 petrol auto comes available its got noticeably more grunt than the 2.0 and almost the exact same mpg. I had a 2.5 till some wally probably texting while driving slammed into the rear end writing it off, tow bar crumpled the boot floor and both rear wings closed up to the doors so no point buying it back. I disputed the value they claimed - stating Auto's are harder to find and attract a premium - I had to show them online examples and got an extra £290 off them.

I noticed the reduced power of the a 2.0 a lot at first but its not an issue now - and I don't tow anything so I can live with it. The petrol variants are super dooper quiet - I can usually creep into fac air range of grazing bunnies without them spooking. You'll likely know of the rear turret rust issues of older T30's, so take preventative action if you get a newer T30. I really like the fact the rifle can be stowed on the 'intermediate dash' and its brilliant shoot from the driving seat capability.

Edited by Dave-G

10 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve had my terios around 18 months I think now. It’s been fantastic off road and the perfect shoot wagon. 

Only down side is it’s rotting . It’s a 2005 model so last of the old shape but I’m gutted2010 was the last year to buy diatshu in Europe. Excellent cars 

hello,  SNAP TT  just had to do a little paint job yesterday on a wheel arch apart from that its in good condition, mine is a 2006 registered but old shape, only done around 45,000, i keep thinking to change it but what for ???  

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello,  SNAP TT  just had to do a little paint job yesterday on a wheel arch apart from that its in good condition, mine is a 2006 registered but old shape, only done around 45,000, i keep thinking to change it but what for   

My family loves terry. It’s suffering a fair bit now 😞 I’m gutted. The new shape terios is £3-4K 

On 18/07/2019 at 20:05, team tractor said:

T30 ??

The earlier X-trail with the clocks in the middle was a T30, the next model with the clocks in the "right" place was a T31. Don't know what the latest one is called, Dacia at a guess.