SGC help GMP

Batler

Hello all,

This is my first port so apologies if it's in the wrong place or if it's not appropriate. 

I'm in the process off applying for my shotgun certificate and I had a couple of questions regarding it. First of all I spoke to GMP and they are suggesting that the wait time is atleast 16 weeks at the moment which seems excessive to me but is that about right? I must point out it's a grant and not renewal. 

Second, I have a disability, I lost an arm (I know, clumsy me) and I'm worried if this would prevent me from getting my grant. I currently shoot with an instructor and he's happy and thinks I'm safe but now we need to send our application with a dr's letter I'm worried that's going to make things awkward. I'm still going to apply because it's the only way I'll know but I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts.

Cheers,

9 minutes ago, Batler said:

our application with a dr's letter

The extract below taken from my County Force web site, indicates that the GP will almost certainly report your disability. However this does not necessarily mean you would be refused a licence. I would have thought that providing you can show your competence in handling and using a gun to your FEO that you dont have to much to worry about. A covering letter from your instructor about your ability would also go a long way to reassuring the Police that you are physically capable of handling and using a firearm.

The report will need to include whether or not I have EVER been diagnosed with or been treated for the following conditions/illnesses:Acute Stress Reaction or an acute reaction to the stress caused by a traumaSuicidal thoughts or self-harm Depression or anxiety DementiaMania, bipolar disorder or a psychotic illness, or a personality disorder A neurological condition: for example, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s or Huntington’s diseases, or epilepsyAlcohol or drug abuse. Any other mental or physical condition which you think may be relevant.Furthermore, can I please request that only information relating to the relevant medical conditions impacting upon my suitability to possess a

A guy I know has only one leg and walks far out onto the marsh after the Pinks whilst Wildfowling, supported by one crutch, carrying all his gear including gun......an inspirational, true sportsmen if ever I met one!......and he must be gettin on for (if not already there?) seventy?

Why would one arm,or one leg make any difference to your holding a SGC/FAC?.....if your refused.....the DDA might well prove otherwise!

I'm currently going through a new SGC grant with GMP as well - I can confirm that roughly 4 months is about right at the moment.

I submitted my application on the 24th March, and finally have my FEO visit tomorrow (19th July)..near enough 4 months.  My application was simple enough - no heath/criminal issues etc - they are just very busy at the moment!

I'm hopeful that following tomorrow's visit I should get my SCG by the end of the month, but we'll see....read various reports recently that it can take between a few days and another month to receive the actual certificate, but we'll see!  I have my security etc all fitted already so all being well they won't need to come back and he'll sign me off :)

Best of luck with the application, sure it will go well for you!