Raspberry Gin

gamekeeper1960

I'm afraid it might get drunk on the way. .lol...

It's just so simple to make ! hardest part is digging deep in the pocket to pay for her gin.....

I  make mine from frozen raspberries as these give up the flavor quickly just add 1.5 lbs sugar (I use Castor sugar as it mixes into the gin better ) to a demijon add 1.5 liters Gin then add 1kg frozen raspberries add another 1.5 liters gin give it a good swill round and leave to stand you can add vanilla essence if you like it do it adds a certain something. .the just swill it round a couple of times a day for a week or so and strain and bootle after about a month to six weeks if it lasts that long ...

Enjoy. ..

Just poured a small drop and I must say that as it's only been in there for 3 days it's really good stuff already can't see this hanging around long ..

Edited by gamekeeper1960

Just got all my gins on the go. Cherry, Rhubarb, gooseberry, rhubarb&gooseberry. I make mine in large Kilner jars. 1 1/2lb fruit, 1lb caster sugar, 1.5ltr cheap gin.

Soften fruit in a pan with the sugar. Let it cool slightly

Heat the Kilner jars in the oven to sterilise them and let them cool (or they will shatter when you put the cooler ingredients in) as I found to my cost when i first started to make  flavoured gins.

Put the fruit/sugar mixture in the jar top up with the cheap gin seal the lid and shake.

Place in a cool dark place (cellar for me) for 3 months shaking it at least once a week, then sieve through muslin cloth and decant into your bottles.

Just in time for the next shooting season

P.s freeze the used fruit to make a cheeky alcoholic crumble later on.

Edited by fishingtex

• 4 weeks later...

6 weeks ago we made 

Raspberry x1 bottle 

Blackberry x1

Red current x1

Black current x1 

Logan Berry x2 

Tayberries x1

Raspberry whiskey x1 

Whiskey mac x1

Basically went to a Ansty pyo farm near salisbury and hand picked them 

The gin cost a fortune tho.... 

Enc of next month the sloes will be nearly ready, i dont wait for the first frost, i just freeze them and thaw 2 days later. Hedge rows are looking like it's going to be another good crop in 👍

This post has inspired me to have a go....been making wine for years

so last weekend

4 l aldi gin....rated Best Buy by Which

frozen raspberries

frozen blueberries

caster sugar

2 3l kilners from Dunelm mill

now we wait

Off on holiday tomorrow, but when I get back I am having a go at a smaller batch of

chilli and lime

rhubarb and either vanilla or ginger. One of our Clay shoots has loads of sloes so give it a couple of weeks and I will be foraging! How long should I leave the 2 That I have presently got stewing?

2 hours ago, Diver One said:

so last weekend

frozen raspberries

frozen blueberries

caster sugar

now we wait

Off on holiday tomorrow, but when I get back I am having a go at a smaller batch of

chilli and lime

rhubarb and either vanilla or ginger. One of our Clay shoots has loads of sloes so give it a couple of weeks and I will be foraging! How long should I leave the 2 That I have presently got stewing?

I don't add the sugar until I use a sugar syrup to dilute to taste when bottling. 

On 11/08/2019 at 09:45, Diver One said:

so last weekend

frozen raspberries

frozen blueberries

caster sugar

now we wait

chilli and lime

Good on ya mate .! 

You won't be disappointed and neither will your friends. ..👍👍

• 4 weeks later...

Well i have started to 'sample it'......frighteningly good for a first attempt

also started a summer fruits ( blackberry, cherry, black currant ) and a Chilli/orange. The chilli strength was a bit tricky....ended up removing them after 20 hours as it was starting to be a "lip numbing experience"

will probably strain and bottle,the raspberry one this weekend

• 4 weeks later...