Hen Harriers a good news story!

panoma1

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

It is reported that eight Hen Harrier chicks have fledged on North Yourkshire Grouse moors! This is what we should be shouting about not wringing our hands at the phoney reports of "suspicious" deaths of Raptors by the protectionist/antis.

brilliant and absolutely right ..... get it on twitter, birding blogs or FB whatever, this is the way to stop the antis in their tracks

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

It is reported that eight Hen Harrier chicks have fledged on North Yourkshire Grouse moors! This is what we should be shouting about not wringing our hands at the phoney reports of "suspicious" deaths of Raptors by the protectionist/antis.

Is there a link to this somewhere? 

For 6 consecutive years up until last year I saw Hen Harriers fledge in North Bedfordshire.

20 miles from RSPB HQ who refuse to believe it and wouldn't send someone out to witness it (even when requested by a local RSPB member) because it didn't fit with their belief's.

This year I've only seen the male.

10 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

For 6 consecutive years up until last year I saw Hen Harriers fledge in North Bedfordshire.

20 miles from RSPB HQ who refuse to believe it and wouldn't send someone out to witness it (even when requested by a local RSPB member) because it didn't fit with their belief's.

This year I've only seen the male.

Definitely hen and not marsh harriers? Any pictures? 

59 minutes ago, Novice said:

Definitely hen and not marsh harriers? Any pictures? 

Definitely Hen harriers (the male was so white, when I first saw it I thought it was a seagull - until it landed in a tree). Also seen by several other people and confirmed as Hen Harriers.

Sorry, no pictures as I never carry a proper camera. The phone camera was (is) useless.

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Funny how they are quick to Dismiss that story and still blame shooting for their decline, surely managing the moors puts out more food selection for them..

Management of moorland can have several benefits, different heights of heather growth create different habitats both for invertebrates and vertebrates with waders often choosing to nest in short growth, burning is now condemned by many conservationist for several reasons but my view is that un-managed moor will lead to woody growth and maximise the chance of wildfires especially in the summer and the nesting season.[ I wonder why instead of burning, control isnt undertaken by tractor and toppers/mowers etc, obviously some areas are no go] Predator control [corvid and fox etc] also has a positive benefit for waders etc.. so yes management in my view is a good thing. whilst leaving moors to wild is a eco-vandalism.