Spitfire flying over East Sussex

bluesj

1 minute ago, Blackbriar said:

There's one still flying from a small aerodrome near us. 

Comes over regularly - a marvellous sight, that never fails to make the hair on my neck stand up !

I know what you mean had a pair come over the other day and just hearing them in the distance had the hair standing up, which is sort of strange as I'm not old enough to have seen them in action protecting us. The bosses car has a merlin engine in it, its impressive but its not got that spitfire sound!   

It’s doing pleasure flights 

from a few venues on the south coast rumours have it 

£2500 gets you a hour 

£5000gets some aerobatics and stuff 

and for £10000 you can have a simulated dog fight 

tried to post a link but a bit shabby on the computer:-( 

anyway im sure TC will google it and post a link later 

ive watched the aerobatics a few times and had the pleasure of watching a very well choreographed dog fight a few times 

I've seen it every time I've been down that way. Last week I was down near Cuckmere Valley and it came flying out from the estuary banking to the East. Its5belly was outer most to me and was one of the most beautiful sights I think I've seen. It also flew over today when I was just outside Hadlow in Kent. Think it was heading back to Biggin Hill. 

My only guess is it is doing Spitfire Flights. If you've got a spare £3500 you can go for a 30 minute ride in one. I looked at getting one for Mrs H the other year but couldn't justify the cost. Now if it was for myself... 😄

1 hour ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

I live 7 mls from Duxford, we get them & others every day

We aren't much further and get them every day in the summer. No matter what I'm doing I have to stop and watch them doing low passes and barrel rolls, as others have said it's hairs on the back of the neck stuff!

2 hours ago, kennett said:

We aren't much further and get them every day in the summer. No matter what I'm doing I have to stop and watch them doing low passes and barrel rolls, as others have said it's hairs on the back of the neck stuff!

I was on a perm when the Daks were practising for D Day  flypast, took this with my phone

Very lucky to have the Hurricane and then the Lanc go over a village fete 2 weeks ago. No idea how they got that sorted.

The Hurricane did 2 passes and a wing waggle and was gone. We thought that was it.

10 mins later I heard this noise and thought it might be the Dakota. There was a big oak tree in the way so I wasn't sure. It suddenly emerged over the top of the tree and was the gorgeous BBMF Lanc.

I have a video of it, but I sound like an excited child/girl, so I'll just post the pic. 

It still amazes me and the sound of the Merlins just gets me every time.

PS Flying Legends at Duxford is awesome. I went several years ago and they had 12 Spits up at the same time. They were on the flight line in front of us and watching them start up and taxi was magical. 

Lanc.JPG

Edited by hedge

18 hours ago, bluesj said:

Any one in the east sussex possibly kent area know why there is a spitfire flying over near daily? I see it almost every day and some time twice a day.

Not that I'm complaining I'd be more than happy if it flew over a lot lower!

Did have the invasion strips on the underside of the wings ? Its been flying over our house every few days.

I recently visited Duxford airdrome, saw spits flying about near all day , you can never mistake the sound of a spit with that merlin engine growling away.

Also had a hercules transporter repeatedly wheel touch landing and taking off ( thems is big Bugs) plus many others.

Im no plane buff but Duxford with its planes and military exhibit's can be a great day out even for the kids, our 7year old grandson loved it and even the near 2 year old seemed to enjoy it.

On 16/07/2019 at 17:51, bluesj said:

Any one in the east sussex possibly kent area know why there is a spitfire flying over near daily? I see it almost every day and some time twice a day.

Not that I'm complaining I'd be more than happy if it flew over a lot lower!

Most likely a two seater flying paying pasengers for the Boultbee Academy from Goodwood.

I think Mr. Spandit is probably right.  Aerolegends usually have a Spitfire based at Headcorn, often seen locally flying with an accompanying DH Devon/Heron. They offer photographic opportunity flights in the Heron. I think they still operate the ex- RCAF Mk1X Spitfire that crashed in France in 1944 and was fairly recently rebuilt as a two seater.

Headcorn aerodrome is a busy little airfield with a grass runway, and quite an interesting history with many different squadrons based there in WW2. Always something going on with an active parachute club, Tiger moths, etc. I've flown in there many times for a bacon sandwich.