Hard grain .

Ultrastu

So last year at this time on the barley   (a week ish before it gets cut )the pige were all over it and my mate and i were having small but fruitful sessions in the afternoon.with birds all over the place dropping in .

This year .the birds were on it 3 weeks ago (when the first laid patches appeared ) but have since not touched it .im thinking that its due to the constant  sun shine drying it all out as the barley heads are hard as stones .

BUT last year the weather was the same and they were on it .

There are plenty of birds about (flying into town every day at around 5 pm )

Im wondering if we get any rain to soften the crop that the birds will start to hit it again .

They dont seam to be on the wheat either .

Any ideas. ?

Everything to do with wildlife is unpredictable,,,, if it wasn't it would get boring. The more time spent out watching gives more experience,,,, that's life I'm afraid 😉  Can't answer your question, but I'm sure that by the time you're PC's age you'll have it sussed,,,, maybe 🤔

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

So last year at this time on the barley   (a week ish before it gets cut )the pige were all over it and my mate and i were having small but fruitful sessions in the afternoon.with birds all over the place dropping in .

This year .the birds were on it 3 weeks ago (when the first laid patches appeared ) but have since not touched it .im thinking that its due to the constant  sun shine drying it all out as the barley heads are hard as stones .

BUT last year the weather was the same and they were on it .

There are plenty of birds about (flying into town every day at around 5 pm )

Im wondering if we get any rain to soften the crop that the birds will start to hit it again .

They dont seam to be on the wheat either .

Any ideas. ?

All our Pigeons went off the Barley two weeks before it was ready to be cut , I am a firm believer that they leave it alone as the grain is ripe and move to Wheat where the grain is still milky and if they have got young they can regurgitate the milk into the swabs , this is only my view and I am sure more wiser members would have there own reasons that might be completely different to mine .

Then what are they eating as soon as the above field is cut ? are they eating ripe grain or grain on the ground that is still Green and not quite ripe ? , one way or the other , we have still got a lot to learn about the Pigeons behavior .

Poor numbers on my perms and I have both barley and wheat. No laid areas on the barley at all and it's hardening. A big patch of wheat is down and I have seen up to 40 on it, but they don't return when disturbed. The frustrating sights are very near my home, as I creep along in the awful rush hour traffic, hundreds are dropping into a Salvation Army field of wheat, right at the road side. I reckon 500 got up the other day and went back down in seconds. To add insult to injury, the flight line to and from the roosting wood, is right on top of our house, meaning many a conversation has been lost as I imagine each shot going over😁

3 hours ago, getthegat said:

Poor numbers on my perms and I have both barley and wheat. No laid areas on the barley at all and it's hardening. A big patch of wheat is down and I have seen up to 40 on it, but they don't return when disturbed. The frustrating sights are very near my home, as I creep along in the awful rush hour traffic, hundreds are dropping into a Salvation Army field of wheat, right at the road side. I reckon 500 got up the other day and went back down in seconds. To add insult to injury, the flight line to and from the roosting wood, is right on top of our house, meaning many a conversation has been lost as I imagine each shot going over😁

Is that the big field that drops down the hill, adjacent to the Hadleigh Road? I assume they have the fields alongside the C2C railway line, on the north side? Lots dropping in on the standing wheat yesterday evening as I went passed on the rattler.

Edited by Penelope

• 3 weeks later...