Flight pond pointers

Part of a rough shoot syndicate, can shoot when I want but would be interested in a side project of setting up a little side project of having a flight pond.

I would put auto feeder on, bit of landscaping, pest control. I would shoot it myself with my partner sometimes and invite lads off the rough shoot.

I assume that renting is the way foward for a pond? I'm guessing similar techniques to get permission, word of mouth, door knocking and agg stores notices?

Just looking for pointers off those who have done it and potential pitfalls/ things to look out for? I'm fine with drafting contract and contract law from the day job.

Cheers

Redogi

On 16/07/2019 at 22:42, millrace said:

The biggest joy is counting duck in from the first pair to the night when you count in a hundred,,then the biggest frustration when you come back the very next evening and not one of the ******* fly in......

Must be a decent pond for that many. 

Old bloke I knew used to feed a small pond would get a handful come in, maybe 4-5. 

He would shoot 2-3 and go home afterwards :) would only shoot it every 2 weeks. And he fed it each day as he walked past to go fish down the beach. 

Pond is say 45 mtrs across  and circular so not big,,most I've counted was over 120 teal and mallard went next night and nothing maybee dozen came in....we try and feed 2/3 times a week wheat and rotten spuds shoot every 2/3 weeks but we've got large river and estuary Cpl miles away so they come from there doesn't make them easy just cause there's a few in the air at one time...lol average prob 5/6 a flight wont go into shot count,as it's mostly awfull......

On 23/07/2019 at 16:51, millrace said:

Pond is say 45 mtrs across  and circular so not big,,most I've counted was over 120 teal and mallard went next night and nothing maybee dozen came in....we try and feed 2/3 times a week wheat and rotten spuds shoot every 2/3 weeks but we've got large river and estuary Cpl miles away so they come from there doesn't make them easy just cause there's a few in the air at one time...lol average prob 5/6 a flight wont go into shot count,as it's mostly awfull......

Sound a nice little spot mate :) 

This is my little pond, maybe 15/20yrds diameter. 

I feed twice weekly May, June. Three times a week July, August (adjust amount if there's feed left over, I want demand to outstrip supply). Every day or other day if feed is being left, September through to mid March. Hard winters can greatly affect this as it's a 'still' water, if I get three days below zero degrees it freezes over. When this happens and the ground is clear of snow I'll dot piles (fist size) of feed around the edge. The first time I did this I already knew that the ducks wandered around but didn't know if it would work so sat out to see them them tuck in. If it snows access is a big problem and I cannot get  but the ducks don't bother flighting and stick to the local rivers. From late March I'll start to reduce the feed and start over again. 

I usually shoot the third week of September then every three weeks after,  weather dependent. Self imposed bag limit to 4 birds or 6 if there's two of us. 

Best of luck with your own place, there's nothing better than sitting and watching the first ones whiffle in.

20181222_142500-4004x3003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2019 at 22:42, millrace said:

The biggest joy is counting duck in from the first pair to the night when you count in a hundred,,then the biggest frustration when you come back the very next evening and not one of the ******* fly in......

That has happened so often to me. 

As for the project, auto feed is good if set in right place, as said don't over feed it or over shoot it, look to install nesting tubes (not too many of a small pond) to give them a safe nesting site. Mink rafts to see if you have them, then cage trap them. Keep on top of vermin. 

I have access to flight ponds and Lloyd will tell you, we shoot them very little but get some great evenings sat down there. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

On 06/08/2019 at 13:50, ShootingEgg said:

That has happened so often to me. 

As for the project, auto feed is good if set in right place, as said don't over feed it or over shoot it, look to install nesting tubes (not too many of a small pond) to give them a safe nesting site. Mink rafts to see if you have them, then cage trap them. Keep on top of vermin. 

I have access to flight ponds and Lloyd will tell you, we shoot them very little but get some great evenings sat down there. 

I forgot what they look like, have to take me out again.

Unless the last person you took out shot them out :/ lol