I’ve got wood!

Miroku_Dave

Thought I’d try some wood for a handle this time. It’s stabilised walnut burl. Probably the most expensive handle I’ve made so far! 

I used one mosaic pin as I didn’t want to detract from the pattern and a brass lanyard tube. Loads and loads of sandpaper was sacrificed for this one. 

This is the last one for a few days, I need to pick up some steel, cut out some more blanks and get some grinding belts! 

45533565-7C66-464A-A3CB-E1BC787ED467.jpeg

BD87029E-B964-4D65-9A5B-BFBA73A4746D.jpeg

C844D37E-5F95-4BE0-B6E1-E3A6FF3FD25B.jpeg

79E6505A-62BD-47A6-B787-06EDC658C69B.jpeg

Nice wood and finish.

Is it a full tang or not? If full tang did you use liners and any file work on the tang? 

As nice as wood is and I love fancy wood, some of the new acrylic is very nice on handles too.

Love the overall shape of your knife.

5 minutes ago, figgy said:

Nice wood and finish.

Is it a full tang or not? If full tang did you use liners and any file work on the tang? 

As nice as wood is and I love fancy wood, some of the new acrylic is very nice on handles too.

Love the overall shape of your knife.

Hi mate, thank you! it’s full tang and no liners this time and no file work. I only started in May so not attempted file work yet, I need to watch some YouTube and give it a go. 

I buy all my stuff from Ground Flat Stock in Bedale, they have some amazing handle materials!! I’m a big fan of their Juma stuff. 

Very nice, being a burl handle might I suggest some zapp it on the small holes and imperfections. Though they add character after time they will start to disintegrate. Even though its stabilized little bits will start to fall out. Zapp it will stop it. English handmade knives stock it.

I use burls quite a bit and found out the hard way when I put the handle on a belt sander and wasn't left with much wood at all.