"im mainly old skool"

ditchman

23 hours ago, ditchman said:

if you use 3/4" genuine norfolk gravel ...its like been hit by a slow moving .458 Winchester.........cept you can hear it a' comin as it sizzles thro the air ..

had a couple of chops off him a while ago ...and made some fresh apple sauce for em' ......beautifool.......

:lol: :good:

35 minutes ago, deny essex said:

Na I is from  furda dann saff an speak cra-pa-daa chat ..

Denny, delays are forecast on the A12 passport control checkpoint.

Also, the Essex paaand has dropped dramatically against the Norfolk groat :|

OB 

47 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Denny, delays are forecast on the A12 passport control checkpoint.

Also, the Essex paaand has dropped dramatically against the Norfolk groat :|

OB 

its the Suffolk Groat................which is down on the market at the moment ...but the Norfolk "Old Scroat" is trading well so he should be fine on the exchange...........the Caister Treacle mines futures also look to be a good investment....:good:

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

If not, it is damp enough round there, to find plenty of self-heal:good:

You need to self heal as seeing a doctor now is a two month wait , well maybe not long but if you are going to heal up before the six weeks are up then there is no need to make an appointment :yes:

As for damp enough , my old house used to be well below sea level and that was one of the reasons we were born with web feet, as we spent more time in the water than out of it .:hmm: 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

As for damp enough , my old house used to be well below sea level and that was one of the reasons we were born with web feet, as we spent more time in the water than out of it . 

I bet that you were a good swimmer then :good:

4 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I bet that you were a good swimmer then :good:

That was about the only thing at school I was any good at , all the so called normal lessons I was next to useless , although it would have helped if I had spent more time at school instead of rowing around the estuary in a gun punt :lol:

Nice work Ditchman, are you going to be using it regular? Just that I have been perusing a few catapult forums and the general consensus is that the screw method of securing the bands is not that reliable. A ball bearing pushed into the elastic or wrapped round a small rod on each prong seems to be the prefered method.

I'm no expert but they all seem to use those methods rather than the screw, apparently it wears the elastic very quickly and may result in the loss of an eye.

Cor..it's getting seriously technical. Some good sugar string well waxed used to do a pretty good job back in my younger days. You checked the elastic and if it showed signs of wear, then cut it shorter at the wear point and rewhipped.  When it got too short then a trip down to the papershop in the village and purchased some more.

12 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Nice work Ditchman, are you going to be using it regular? Just that I have been perusing a few catapult forums and the general consensus is that the screw method of securing the bands is not that reliable. A ball bearing pushed into the elastic or wrapped round a small rod on each prong seems to be the prefered method.

I'm no expert but they all seem to use those methods rather than the screw, apparently it wears the elastic very quickly and may result in the loss of an eye.

those screws i put in have very large heads....so shud be awight

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Cor..it's getting seriously technical. Some good sugar string well waxed used to do a pretty good job back in my younger days. You checked the elastic and if it showed signs of wear, then cut it shorter at the wear point and rewhipped.  When it got too short then a trip down to the papershop in the village and purchased some more.

nev.................wot the **** is sugar string............

i am sicessflly threw 3/4 of a bottle of "bold red " el vino at the moment so dont ask me any conplikated questions...

Back before you appeared on this earth there was a time when sugar string was the be all for tying up parcels, binding things and making secure your catty elastic.  I have a feeling it was named as such, but will stand corrected, because the old grocers who made their sugar bags out of a sheet of blue paper with no glue tied the bags secure with a fine white strong string.

I occasionally find some similar for sale but it doesn't seem to be as fine or as strong, but thin white string today still means 'sugar string' to me.

Back to those bags,  I was only 5 or 6 just at the end of the war when I went with my Granny to Altons the Grocers in Tamworth. The smell when you entered the shop was amazing because all the stuff was on show in open top wooden barrels and there would be a large cheese or two on a cutting table with a wire.  The blue paper sheets about 2ft square lay on the serving area and on a request for anything loose, sugar in particular, Mr Alton would flip up a corner and in a flash of hands produce a paper bag, pour the contents in then fold the top tight and secure with a length of 'sugar string'. I spent hours trying to do the same with no success.  The smoked hams hung from the beams.  A proper grocers shop.  Back then, stuff was so difficult to get, there was always an aside like "Ahem, I managed to get 4 oz of glazed cherries for you."  Usually at Christmas or before a birthday to decorate a cake.  Ration coupons would be offered.

We really do not know just how lucky we are these days.  I know it is terrible to say such, but maybe another war might bring folk to their senses.

That sugar string never went to waste. Conserved for the next catty bindings.

Edited by Walker570