Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Perazzishot

This should generate some interest on here.....

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, JDog said:

What precisely is the point of this exercise?

👏  😂   

 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

The shot size allowed is 2.41mm English 6.5

Regardless of whether shot hurts or not at 100 or 150 yards. The clay has been broken at 130 yards as the record stands.  Wonder if it can be beat or even equalled. 

Pretty sure 6.5's are 2.5mm, not that it matters because the pattern will be even worserer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2.41m is English No7, corresponding to 340 pellets per oz, 2.6mm is No 6 corresponding to No 6 and 270 pellets per Oz, whilst 6.5 is 2.5mm and approximately 305 pellets per oz.

 

The Halliwell table has the shot diameter and pellets per Oz correct but the English sizing incorrect and as it also shows a No 2, a B but does not show a No1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No 6 shot has somewhere around 2.3 ftlbs at 30 yards, 1.3 at 60. Probably nothing at 130. I can't seen 6.5 having very much at all if anything and it will be nothing more than a very lucky shot at best.

Cylinder choke opens up at around an inch a yard. Full will be about half that. 130 yards and the pattern would be huge and the gaps massive.

So to summise a galatic sized pattern with planet sized holes. A stray pellet may hit a clay and potentially may break it, maybe. Pointless waste of time. That said there's worse ways to waste it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it just a bit of fun to see if it can be done, most of the record's broken could be classed as pointless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s just a bit of fun and fame and glory to the winner 

these events are something to push the boundaries and I’m sure some competitors will spend a few £££ on extremely expensive chokes extra long barrels and all manor of parapanalia 

personaly think it can be a good thing for testing after market chokes the skill of the barrel borer cartridge manufacturers products and anything else 

imagine where we would be if these events never took place 

ask what’s been invented as a result of shooting competitions 

chokes

multi chokes

Montecarlo stock 

that’s a few off the top of my head

I look forward to seeing the results

all the best

of  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

It’s just a bit of fun and fame and glory to the winner 

these events are something to push the boundaries and I’m sure some competitors will spend a few £££ on extremely expensive chokes extra long barrels and all manor of parapanalia 

personaly think it can be a good thing for testing after market chokes the skill of the barrel borer cartridge manufacturers products and anything else 

imagine where we would be if these events never took place 

ask what’s been invented as a result of shooting competitions 

chokes

multi chokes

Montecarlo stock 

that’s a few off the top of my head

I look forward to seeing the results

all the best

of  

Entirely correct, we have already seen the videos of the 100 Metri patterning at 120 yards and punching through a pallet at that range fired from a normal shotgun with half choke. Advancements in technology have always been achieved by someone requesting it to be advanced. Modern cartridges are far different, as are borings and chokes with small advancements made all the time. These advancements then must be taken into the field by the best users and shown to work. 

Some of the current FITASC targets are now 90 yards and being broken with 28g of 6.5 on a regular basis by the top shots. That would have been unheard of 25 years ago.

Similar to golf balls hit longer and truer, more control, backspin etc etc but by the best golfers pushing the boundaries of modern advancement. This doesn't mean your average Joe Bloggs who plays on a Sunday morning can buy the same equipment as a pro and hit a ball 250 yards straight down the fairway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, this weekend I’m shooting clays at 130 yards.  I will get back to you guys.  I have some 6 shot that says long range express on them.  I’m going to break out the full chokes and see.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Ok, this weekend I’m shooting clays at 130 yards.  I will get back to you guys.  I have some 6 shot that says long range express on them.  I’m going to break out the full chokes and see.   

Strongly suggest that you start at 60 yards and then move away from the target 

this is the method used by one of the best shots in the world 

looking forward to seeing how you get on 😊👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone point me to video's of no 7 (or even a 6) shot smashing through a pallet at 120 yards ? Come to think of it can anyone point me to any video's of "patterns" at 100 meters ? 

40 years ago shells were made from powder, lead shot, plastic wads , primers and outer plastic shell, today they are made from the same basic components, tiny gains have been made in pattern density and of course velocity but anyone who thinks those advances can account for being able to use "skill" as opposed to "luck" in hitting a clay at 130 yards is, ballistically speaking, naive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Strongly suggest that you start at 60 yards and then move away from the target 

this is the method used by one of the best shots in the world 

looking forward to seeing how you get on 😊👍

Oh they aren’t going to be flying. I’m plan on glueing about 50 to a piece of plywood.  My two doubts is will the pattern even hit at 130 yards and if it does will it bust.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Oh they aren’t going to be flying. I’m plan on glueing about 50 to a piece of plywood.  My two doubts is will the pattern even hit at 130 yards and if it does will it bust.  

So you’re not taking into account the inertia of the clay and the energy of your shot combined 

think pattern of shot moving towards a target that is moving into the pattern 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Oh they aren’t going to be flying. I’m plan on glueing about 50 to a piece of plywood.  My two doubts is will the pattern even hit at 130 yards and if it does will it bust.  

Trust me a static clay won't break even at 50 yards, tis the centrifugal forces that cause the spinning clay to rip itself apart, in fact the range at which they refuse to break may be as short as 40 yards ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hamster said:

Trust me a static clay won't break even at 50 yards, tis the centrifugal forces that cause the spinning clay to rip itself apart, in fact the range at which they refuse to break may be as short as 40 yards ! 

That’s very interesting. I never thought about that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

this is the method used by one of the best shots in the world 

Ive heard that a certain PW member is vying for that accolade :yes:

 

2 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Trust me a static clay won't break even at 50 yards, tis the centrifugal forces that cause the spinning clay to rip itself apart, in fact the range at which they refuse to break may be as short as 40 yards ! 

Never really thought about it like that :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

So you’re not taking into account the inertia of the clay and the energy of your shot combined 

think pattern of shot moving towards a target that is moving into the pattern 

I am honestly not sure I could hit a moving one at that distance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I am honestly not sure I could hit a moving one at that distance. 

You can have fun trying maybe even surprise your self 👍

got to be on a par with shooting up old cars 😊 

 

hank topperwain and his wife plinkey could probably have done it with a 22 rimfire 😂😂

Edited by Old farrier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Old farrier said:

You can have fun trying maybe even surprise your self 👍

got to be on a par with shooting up old cars 😊 

I think my pull cord is 25ft.  So which one of you guys going to stand down range and pull it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I think my pull cord is 25ft.  So which one of you guys going to stand down range and pull it? 

Careful NBI .. that's a chat up line in Norfolk !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way those 100 metri shells function is akin to a slug. I wouldn't fancy my chances in a court if I was found with some on a sgc and I'm surprised they haven't been looked at more closely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GingerCat said:

The way those 100 metri shells function is akin to a slug. I wouldn't fancy my chances in a court if I was found with some on a sgc and I'm surprised they haven't been looked at more closely. 

So long as they contain more than the allowed minimum of pellets there legal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hamster said:

Can anyone point me to video's of no 7 (or even a 6) shot smashing through a pallet at 120 yards ? Come to think of it can anyone point me to any video's of "patterns" at 100 meters ? 

40 years ago shells were made from powder, lead shot, plastic wads , primers and outer plastic shell, today they are made from the same basic components, tiny gains have been made in pattern density and of course velocity but anyone who thinks those advances can account for being able to use "skill" as opposed to "luck" in hitting a clay at 130 yards is, ballistically speaking, naive. 

I did a pattern test at 130 yards. I used an 8 x4ft sheet of cardboard standing upright  and using 32g 5shot cartridges and 3/4 choke through a beretta 682 I aimed at the top edge. The cardboard was hit by 14 pieces of shot and apart from two about 2 inches apart the rest were no closer than 8 inches. And no shot penetrated the cardboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, figgy said:

So long as they contain more than the allowed minimum of pellets there legal. 

But they don't break apart so may as well be solid slug. Same as a wax slug.  Wouldn't chance it. 

Basing that on the YouTube vid of a single hole at 75 metres smashing through the pallet. 

Edited by GingerCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, bornfree said:

I did a pattern test at 130 yards. I used an 8 x4ft sheet of cardboard standing upright  and using 32g 5shot cartridges and 3/4 choke through a beretta 682 I aimed at the top edge. The cardboard was hit by 14 pieces of shot and apart from two about 2 inches apart the rest were no closer than 8 inches. And no shot penetrated the cardboard.

It looks like you need to fine tune the guns fit by experimenting with an adjustable comb, it may well be that moving the POI up a tad could increase the dents to 15 or more depending on wind direction. 

Alternatively place a cheeky pallet about 90 yards from the cardboard and in line with your line of fire. 😂  It's elementary quantum physics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...