Extinction Rebellion

ShootingEgg

1 hour ago, oowee said:

We can make a difference. We are not 1% of pollution if you look at consumption generated pollution. More difference can be made through coordinated action through the large trading blocks who can do push suppliers (China et al) to make the change through tax, through rising standards. Use the receipts to drive more change. Look at what has been achieved in the garment manufacturing industry. 

The protester's have a point that the world needs to wake up to. Look back over time and the same would have been said for most protests be that the suffragette's or the spring uprisings. Protest promotes change and they are like their methods or not starting to make a difference.

Nope. China does as China wants as will India, Russia, USA (and please stop using apostrophes incorrectly)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mudpatten said:

We need more highly mechanised wars between western countries or disease pandemics in the third world to thin out the population as used to happen on a regular basis before the ruddy EU came along and put a stop to it all.

Black death?

32 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Seriously, Bill Gates drive to eliminate malaria is short sighted. The largest single check on human population, I believe.

Cruel but true. the same has been said for these charities that go round digging wells. Providing clean water but not addressing all the other issues is not a solution.

11 minutes ago, henry d said:

If it was in europe/North American continent, then there would be a fortune thrown at it, but its "over there" so lets look the other way as there are far too many of them anyway?

There's far too many of everyone. I don't agree with fertility treatment either; if nature says you can't, accept it.

10 hours ago, Penelope said:

There's far too many of everyone. 

The issues are so vastly complicated and that's why the career politicians wont engage in real discussions about population growth, energy or pollution. Then along comes a load of students hardly out of nappies thinking they can solve all the world's problems by blocking the roads with a pink boat and chanting a few slogans.

10 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The issues are so vastly complicated and that's why the career politicians wont engage in real discussions about population growth, energy or pollution. Then along comes a load of students hardly out of nappies thinking they can solve all the world's problems by blocking the roads with a pink boat and chanting a few slogans.

Nail on head

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

And your solution is?

3 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Except the one nobody is willing to mention

Which is why wars and pestilence have made such a good job of controlling ours species numbers. You'd think on a site such as this many would know the unpalatable answer if looked at dispassionately; it's recommended for lots of other species.

3 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

With the multitude of diverse cultures and so many governments in the world plus all the different religions, there is no solution 

There is no easy solution - but some common sense measures can be introduced starting right here at home; For example the idea that various child benefits are paid (and used by some to supplement benefits) seems wrong.  (I know this area has changed and I'm not quite sure how it operates now in the UK). People should be having smaller families - I'm not sure we are ready for the Chinese restriction on numbers of children, but I certainly feel that the present "more children = more free handout money" is wrong.  Similarly - producing children shouldn't be a shortcut to a taxpayer funded house.

1 minute ago, Penelope said:

Which is why wars and pestilence have made such a good job of controlling ours species numbers. You'd think on a site such as this many would know the unpalatable answer if looked at dispassionately; it's recommended for lots of other species.

Even with wars and plagues the human population has continued to increase almost exponentially. What follows now is being greatly exacerbated by much greater mobility and the internet telling people you can get a better life if you move to where ever..

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There is no easy solution - but some common sense measures can be introduced starting right here at home; For example the idea that various child benefits are paid (and used by some to supplement benefits) seems wrong.  (I know this area has changed and I'm not quite sure how it operates now in the UK). People should be having smaller families - I'm not sure we are ready for the Chinese restriction on numbers of children, but I certainly feel that the present "more children = more free handout money" is wrong.  Similarly - producing children shouldn't be a shortcut to a taxpayer funded house.

absolutely right, but without these handouts Labour would not be able to bribe voters. There is a vast swath of poor voters who will always vote for the promise of  money. Gordon Brown got it off to a fine art.

Edited by Vince Green

On 22/07/2019 at 10:49, Penelope said:

There's far too many of everyone. I don't agree with fertility treatment either; if nature says you can't, accept it.

Yup, the removal of nature's hoe, also single gender parents, single mums with multiple kids, if you can,t feed em, don,t breed 'em

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Child benefit now stops if somebody in the household earns above a certain amount (£50k I think although you could have two people earning £49k each and still be eligible for it - go figure). Below this amount you will get child benefit for every one of your children - just like the woman over the back - she had 4 kids (all now left home I believe) and two (daughters) live within 50 yards of her and one of them has three kids and the other have 4 kids - no man on the scene, living in rented and one did have a job in the local Costa for a while - part time so as not to affect their benefits.

The government should have just said we will only pay Child Benefit for 2 children irrespective of salary. That would have stopped people pumping out sprog after sprog to "improve" their chosen lifestyle.

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

Get rid of the old and lame? 

"Would all members of the forum over state pension age please go to the gun cabinet and blow their brains out." 

Well it has to start somewhere and what better way than old timer's that have the equipment and expertise to do a good job of it

15 minutes ago, henry d said:

Get rid of the old and lame? 

"Would all members of the forum over state pension age please go to the gun cabinet and blow their brains out." 

Well it has to start somewhere and what better way than old timer's that have the equipment and expertise to do a good job of it

I take that you are volunteering, then?

Playing devil's advocate.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

We do not need it in the UK we have a declining birth rate and a fertility rate of 1.74 per mother. The issue is we still measure prosperity and growth by consumption. We should be looking at long term sustainability as the measure or performance.