Falconers/Hen Harrier

NatureBoy

Question for the falconers/birdmen on here?  We have seen this week the well timed publicity seeking video/pictures of Packham  and co with the injured then very publicly displayed dead hen harrier! Portraying how much they care and how tragic they said it was! Given the position of the leg break (just above the foot) on what appeared to be a still strong adult male with no other injury. Would you have put it down or removed the foot and given it a chance to recover and rehab??  See plenty of one footed/legged birds doing ok! In captivity and in the wild! Including birds of prey. Seemed after all that effort to "save it" and out poring they were quick to kill such a "rare iconic bird"!?      NB 

The only reason for trying to operate and keep such a bird alive would be for it to spend its days in some kind of "raptor sanctuary".  If there was a conservation angle to be achieved i.e. if there was already a HH in captivity of the opposite sex then if the species is as rare as claimed (in the UK) then a breeding programme could be attempted.

The falconry community have been involved in many conservation programmes in the past, our knowledge of captive breeding really puts us at the forefront in this sphere with raptors, but we don't really like to see deformed raptors end up having a miserable life in the aforementioned sanctuary facilities.

Personally, I would have put it down.

Edited by Mickeydredd

20 hours ago, Mickeydredd said:

The only reason for trying to operate and keep such a bird alive would be for it to spend its days in some kind of "raptor sanctuary".  If there was a conservation angle to be achieved i.e. if there was already a HH in captivity of the opposite sex then if the species is as rare as claimed (in the UK) then a breeding programme could be attempted.

The falconry community have been involved in many conservation programmes in the past, our knowledge of captive breeding really puts us at the forefront in this sphere with raptors, but we don't really like to see deformed raptors end up having a miserable life in the aforementioned sanctuary facilities.

Personally, I would have put it down.

Cheers Mickeydredd. Thought they may of got someone to take it on or use for publicity. And like you say it not like they endangered! As i understand it they have never breed in big numbers in this country.  Some saying that bird he holding up is a different bird and trap a set up? Safety on!     NB

4 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Cheers Mickeydredd. Thought they may of got someone to take it on or use for publicity. And like you say it not like they endangered! As i understand it they have never breed in big numbers in this country.  Some saying that bird he holding up is a different bird and trap a set up? Safety on!     NB

People have compared the two images, and looking at it yes, one in trap. Is very white under the wing, the one he is holding is very grey. Is it the same bird, only he knows the real answer. Is this a massive publicity properganda, yes.. But that said the trap if set should not of been set in a way for the HH to have become caught, poor trap management perhaps. And of this does happen and they find it, more fool the person setting traps. 

I genuinely believe there are people out there that have a pathological hatred of shooting, be it because of an extremist animal protectionist, a leftie class hatred or other agenda. I further believe many of these alleged so called "atrocities" against Raptors are staged by these people, in a desperate attempt to pursue that agenda.

To the rabid extremist/left wing agitator "the end justifies the means"

15 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

People have compared the two images, and looking at it yes, one in trap. Is very white under the wing, the one he is holding is very grey. Is it the same bird, only he knows the real answer. Is this a massive publicity properganda, yes.. But that said the trap if set should not of been set in a way for the HH to have become caught, poor trap management perhaps. And of this does happen and they find it, more fool the person setting traps. 

Very convenient they find bird in trap and trap on nest! Nest and trap don't look right to me. Blood spatters on trap to? Why they sit on story so long? Why aren't police holding traps and bird as evidence and  they allowed to use and handle them.? Bit like the crows on his gate, letter and the "woodcock" he was sent last time round. After him making a windup vid using it that was put on ebay and sold! . . . . With how good thermal imaging these days why would anyone take the risks or bother using traps  if they were up to no good on an open moor?    NB