First Barbel of the year...

gsalmons

Hi

Haven't managed to get on the Trent for a while - had an evening session near Newark & landed a PB Barbel of 12lb 6oz! Only fish of the day but 100% worth it!

Last year I managed several low doubles & a 5.5lb PB chub so its a decent stretch.

Photo is bad as I was on my own & wanted to get her back into the flow asap

Back again in a few weeks....

20190706_192139.jpg

I remember back in the very hot summer of 76 my friend and my self fished at iron bridge back of the foundry where it narrows of we could not go wrong on oxo size squares of luncheon meat fished on the float with a string on swan shot to get it down must have had hundred between we what a day and being young men we took our shirts of and got terrible sun burn but what a day.

17 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Shouldn't even be in the river, according to Wild Justice, it is an illegally released (for sport!) non-native species!  Lol!

Ah, but all eastern flowing rivers in England were supposed to have held them at one point, dating back to the end of the last ice age when, what is now the Rhine, ran through the plains that are now under the North Sea.

Now, if it was from the Hampshire Avon you could have a point :lol:.

14 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Nice fish! Otters have had a lot of the whoppers!   Again! Very few folk realise how much Angling clubs and anglers do for conservation!     NB

The massive, Great Ouse and Ivel fish. I bet the Wensum has suffered too from otter predation.

20 hours ago, gsalmons said:

Hi

Haven't managed to get on the Trent for a while - had an evening session near Newark & landed a PB Barbel of 12lb 6oz! Only fish of the day but 100% worth it!

Last year I managed several low doubles & a 5.5lb PB chub so its a decent stretch.

20190706_192139.jpg

A cracker, sir.

I have fished pretty much every river that holds them, south of the Great Ouse for barbel. Wonderful fish.

Edited by Penelope

They tried stocking Barbel in the river Wavney (Norflk Suffolk) boarder in the 90's. Same time Earsham otter trust (beside the wavney) were releasing otters. Tho they they denied it. They cleared the barbel out! Maybe barbel are easy for them to catch? Or because eels were in decline. Same time they released otters in the upper Alde to. Near old estate lakes we had (found fake holts) and they ravaged the ancient stock of a few true Leny strain of carp in a few months. Killing and eating some. Ripping guts and tales/fins off others. We rescued  3.  Last one minus a fin died in a farm pool 2 years ago. Some recon it was 50 year old and about 30LB.  An old gal on farm would tap on a stake and it would come to her and she hand fed it sprouts of all things.   NB 

1 hour ago, NatureBoy said:

They tried stocking Barbel in the river Wavney (Norflk Suffolk) boarder in the 90's. Same time Earsham otter trust (beside the wavney) were releasing otters. Tho they they denied it. They cleared the barbel out! Maybe barbel are easy for them to catch? Or because eels were in decline. Same time they released otters in the upper Alde to. Near old estate lakes we had (found fake holts) and they ravaged the ancient stock of a few true Leny strain of carp in a few months. Killing and eating some. Ripping guts and tales/fins off others. We rescued  3.  Last one minus a fin died in a farm pool 2 years ago. Some recon it was 50 year old and about 30LB.  An old gal on farm would tap on a stake and it would come to her and she hand fed it sprouts of all things.   NB 

Barbel do seem to suffer from otter predation. A crying shame about those Leneys.

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking fish, well done to the OP.

On 19/07/2019 at 16:08, Penelope said:

Barbel do seem to suffer from otter predation. A crying shame about those Leneys.

I took a picture of a barbel that had had its gizzard chewed out by an otter which had left it upside down on a tuft of grass just upstream from Bewdley between Christmas and the New Year several years back. I had to climb down by rope to get a close up pic and the picture later did the rounds with Trefor or Ray if I recall correctly, I should try to dig it out.

On 18/07/2019 at 16:16, panoma1 said:

Shouldn't even be in the river, according to Wild Justice, it is an illegally released (for sport!) non-native species!  Lol!

Really? I used to catch them years and years ago! Always taken as an indication of how good the condition of the water is.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:17, gsalmons said:

Hi

20190706_192139.jpg

12lbs 6 😯 that must have put up some fight.

On 21/08/2019 at 13:16, gsalmons said:

She took some getting in and did that Barbel 'thing' of going mental at the net!

Had a look at the river at the weekend but it was up at least 12-14", and running through chocolate brown and fast! Will see what this weekend brings!

Perfect for a big smelly bait!!

Nice fish, and my favourite fish of all. 

I used to fish the Dove just about every day during the season for years, once the specimen bods started to target them I saw a huge decline in the numbers I would catch. 

They would go out with 15lb braid and size 4s, fill the swim with a bucket load of boilies,set up with a self hooking rig and sit back and wait. 

That ain't fishing to me. 

Needles to say I gave up my mutual ticket and took up shooting instead. 

Cracking fish.

11 hours ago, Dougy said:

Nice fish, and my favourite fish of all. 

I used to fish the Dove just about every day during the season for years, once the specimen bods started to target them I saw a huge decline in the numbers I would catch. 

They would go out with 15lb braid and size 4s, fill the swim with a bucket load of boilies,set up with a self hooking rig and sit back and wait. 

That ain't fishing to me. 

Needles to say I gave up my mutual ticket and took up shooting instead. 

There is more than one way to skin a cat, though.

Pretty much any down stream method for barbel is a self hooking rig, I've had 3 foot twitch bites on every thing from double maggot to half a tin of meat.

I dont disagree, but seeing them get whiched out is hardley sporting.

Burton  mutual had a publicity ban on record fish, but when your poaching it really wouldn't matter.

Some bloke kept a blog on fishing the dove who wasnt even a member.

Your lucky now to see any.

Ive always fished with 15-12lb main line with a 10 -8lb hook link on rivers running rig with either a maggot or open feeder or sometimes a running ledger. Had the most succes with the maggot feeder & size 10- 12-14 hooks (will up the hook size when fishing a hair rig)  only ever had the two barbel on my local river ( the goyt ) & both were only small lots of good chubb & plenty of good size trout with the odd greyling chucked in. Friend has had carp upto 8lb from the wierpools. Beautiful fish would love to catch something of that size 👍

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

I dont disagree, but seeing them get whiched out is hardley sporting.

Burton  mutual had a publicity ban on record fish, but when your poaching it really wouldn't matter.

Some bloke kept a blog on fishing the dove who wasnt even a member.

Your lucky now to see any.

Any otters present? They seem to make inroads into barbel stocks. They severely dented the Adams Mill (Grt. Ouse) and Biggleswade (Ivel) big barbel fish stocks.

Hi

At the moment no signs of otters - or mink either. The stretch is somewhat remote and the 'spot' a fair walk. It features plenty of wildlife to keep me entertained when the fish aren't playing!

However, I've heard some nightmares on other stretches, especially more locally on the Derwent where otters have had out fish the same size.

It's a bit of a poisoned chalice though - I love my barbelling (and pike in winter), but understand otters have to exist too...….

My bro fishes syndicate carp waters and they've lost fish touching 40lb!

With regard to gear - I keep it simple - 12lb mainline, 15lb gravel camo braid hooklink, size 6 with a hair-rigged 10/12mm boilie. Open feeder with hemp & pellets. Although may have to use bigger hooks / baits to put off the snotties....

Gonna be a while before I get back on there due to work so will post as & when