Jewellers enamelling kiln

mirokoman

18 hours ago, mirokoman said:

A Horst Uhlig electric enamelling kiln, don't know much about them , but as you can see in the photo it works .New these are £700 . Looking for £100 Ono. A bit heavy to post but not impossible .

IMG_20190718_120043129-1024x768.jpg

IMG_20190712_113503503-1024x768.jpg

IMG_20190712_113446308-1024x768.jpg

Hiya Mate, 

Could you tell me what sort of temperature this gets up to please?

I'm thinking it may be the solution to my knife heat treating problem!

Thank you, 

Dave

4 hours ago, Miroku_Dave said:

Hiya Mate, 

Could you tell me what sort of temperature this gets up to please?

I'm thinking it may be the solution to my knife heat treating problem!

Thank you, 

Dave

I used one of theses kilns some years ago at work for heat treating steel (harden and temper) they are a good kiln, you will need a pyrometer/thermocouple, if I remember it fits in the back of the kiln.

If you intend to use it for tempering hardened steel you will also need a temperature regulator, you could control the temperature by turning it off and on when the pyrometer reads the desired temperature.

Or if you are experienced you could use colour tempering.

My late sister was a jeweller and had one of these. Temp is probably about 900 C. However I am sure the cavity is too small for blade making.  From memory it's only between 3 and 4 inch in the longest direction. 

10 hours ago, John_R said:

My late sister was a jeweller and had one of these. Temp is probably about 900 C. However I am sure the cavity is too small for blade making.  From memory it's only between 3 and 4 inch in the longest direction. 

Yep, that’s possibly one of its drawbacks, if I remember correctly I think the chamber from front to back is around 5 inches.

• 2 weeks later...