Off tickets guns

rimfire4969

A good friend on mine had just lost his dad. He had a few shotguns and going through his house they have uncovered some guns not on ticket. He was going to take these to the police but I have suggested going to a firearms dealer for safe keeping until they can be dealt with. A couple of the guns are a bit different for starters a early American percussion cap rifle and a walking stick gun he thinks in .410 but is not sure. 

I have not seen them myself so going by a limited knowledge description.

Is a dealer the best route to go, I am thinking if the police get them they will be a real pain to get back even to sell. 

The percussion may well be a obsolete caliber depending upon age and bore so you could be ok with that one 

the walking stick is a bit different classifications varying depending on caliber usually fac 

so fa dealer or auction house is the way to go with that one 

hope your mate gets a good outcome 

Antique blackpowder guns can be owned without any licensing. They have to be manufactured before 1939 AND muzzle loading OR obsolete ignition system (eg pin fire) OR obsolete calibre centre or rimfire. You cannot own ammunition, nor can you fire them, nor can you own one if you are a prohibited person.

however the walking stick gun I think is a prohibited weapon and is another matter all together. 

RFD can 'hold' the rifle until status is identified (S2 or obsolete) but cannot hold the walking stick gun, unless he is S5 authorised

Walking stick guns are section 5, but allowable on SGC 'as part of collection'; thus, a SGC holder can buy, own or sell if his ticket is so authorised, but an 'ordinary' RFD cannot!!.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would just phone your local licencing dept and get a FEO to come to you and take away the walking stick. Do not transport it yourself to police station, Its still illegal possession.

Don't let them take the muzzle loader, that's legal 

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, figgy said:

There must be still a fair few off ticket old knackered guns around. Stashed when licencing first came in. Or kept from old service time.

Logic dictates there must be, and they surface now and then as the generation most likely to have them die and relatives come across them. 

I was once shown a fully working Sten gun, complete with magazine and ammo, as a lad, by a bloke who would then have been in his forties I would think. It’s hard to age people as a child....they’re ALL old! 🙂 I often wonder what happened to it.

Going through the belongings of a mates recently died Father, quite a few years ago now, we came across his Sam Browne rig, complete with holster. We turned that house inside out looking for a service revolver, but never found one. We did find two Nazi dress daggers however; worth a bob or two. 

Over the years I’ve come across quite a few off ticket guns, two of which I had put on my ticket. 

When I first started shooting there were still  lots of WW2 pistols about, lugers etc that were war trophies. As long as they didn't have the MOD broad arrow stamped on them the police would just add them to your certificate without question. They were just glad to see them put on the register and that was how it should be.

• 3 weeks later...

remember having a  dinner time brew at me local gunshop over 30 odd years ago.

while haggling over a deal on an  AR10   in 7.62 an old lady came in with her husbands mint holstered luger who had recently died.

she didn't want it in the house so handed it over to Mike the owner.

he took it out dropped the mag which was full, cycled  the action which had a chambered round and was ready to fire.

was deffo one of those moments you don't forget :)

must be loads still out there stashed away after the war.

Still is. Only a few years ago a mate I see at local auctions and who collects militaria was asked to go round to an old lady who's hubby had just died. A Bren with ammo, several pistols, couple of  Lee Enfields and what looked like primed mills grenades. She was terrified as she had been told if she phoned the police they would send her to prison. Mate stayed with her while he contacted local FEO.

Police just turned up with a bomb squad and took it all. Were pleasant and actually thanked her.

29 minutes ago, Jay_Russell said:

i seem to remember reading last yearish about some builders working in a chuch spire uncovering a few rifles and ammo presumably from ww2/home guard era  ready for when the ballon went up and been there ever since

Can believe that! My old da spent a lot of the war in the home guard on the roof of the local Working mens club. ready to repel Gerry when he came. Always lots of guns in our house. Not sure they had any ammo though.

A few years ago I noticed 2 water cooled belt fed ww2 machine guns on the rack of a gun shop. I asked him where they came from. Apparently someone was having some work done and they were found in a false wall of the house. Police had told them to drop them off with him as he was a sec 5 dealer and 2 mins away. 

Each had a couple of belts of ammo and were in their boxes and greased up. 

I asked him what he was going to do and he replied "fine somewhere quiet and see how they do". Can't blame him. Both looked serviceable with minimal corrosion. 

My parents next door neighbour who died at 94 had a k98 and mp44, both with ammo on the top of his wardrobe for years. Took them in during an amnesty. 

Bet there's lots more out there .

5 hours ago, Jay_Russell said:

i seem to remember reading last yearish about some builders working in a chuch spire uncovering a few rifles and ammo presumably from ww2/home guard era  ready for when the ballon went up and been there ever since

yeah i remember that story on the news.....someone was working on the flooring of the bell tower ...