Merc "S" OXSPRING

ditchman

As Whitebridges was so happy with his Merc s that i fettled....i thought i would do excactly the same with mine

wot i did as follows

1. bought ox #1 
  2. cut 3 coils off
  3. smoothed off outside of spring 
  4. polished
  5. ground flat both ends
  6. extra polish on inside chamber..

i have found with nearly all springs...the ends are poorly ground flat, and a result they wont stand upright on a flat surface.....if fitted like this....when the spring compresses it will bow and when fired it will rattle (twang) against the inside of the piston housing/sleeve.......so both ends of the spring are excactly flat and 90deg's....and stands upright barely one deg' out...so when it compresses it will stay more inline.............

you can see the difference between the original spring (the bit cut off) and the finished spring........

i will assemble it tomorrow...using a very very small ammount of molyslip grease...and chrono' it..........

on the last pic the circular thing is a reflection on the cylinder wall........

oxspring 001tn_.JPG

oxspring 002tn_.JPG

oxspring 003tn_.JPG

oxspring 004tn_.JPG

oxspring 005tn_.JPG

oxspring 006tn_.JPG

oxspring 007tn_.JPG

oxspring 008tn_.JPG

23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Pretty as a picture...:good:

Like minded to my eye. A fantastic bit of kit. It's my kitchen gun. 

Shoots RWS superdomes (14.5g). Mine is a .22. Ditchy has the .177  

Last few shots over the Chrono ft per sec at the muzzle.

For a nice and healthy 10.6 ft lbs or thereabouts. :yay:  

Edited by Whitebridges

33 minutes ago, Chaz25 said:

Very slick! good work! do you close up the last coil with heat?

with a MAPP gas torch ...do it as quick as possible then quench ..so the heat dosnt have too much time to run further down the coil.......then i set the spring up at 90deg's and ground flat...i did it on my linisher but you can do it on the side of your grinder (bench).........

the pain in the rear bit is fitting a new "O" ring...if you fit it without working on it....it is just too damn tight....so you gently have to sand off some of the thickness....that is the tricky bit

if it is too tight..........................= too much drag

if it is too slack.........................= to much blow back

grease will help...but after a while it will burn off.....

Awesome work as always! 

So what do you use to polish everything? What tools do you use, do you use any sort of polishing compound. I’m especially interested in how you polished the cylinder. I’m just fascinated by all this and have a mercury in the garage that needs this fettling

30 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

Awesome work as always! 

So what do you use to polish everything? What tools do you use, do you use any sort of polishing compound. I’m especially interested in how you polished the cylinder. I’m just fascinated by all this and have a mercury in the garage that needs this fettling

if it is an ordinary merc........dont bother............its only worth the effort if it is an s model

1 hour ago, Medic1281 said:

How do you find out if it’s the s model?

1. it will be stamped on the chamber....."S"
  2. the barrel hinge pin will be a screw bolt not a plain push fit pin
  3. the wood will be walnut not beech
  4. the barrel will be 14mm not 12.5mm

ditch

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

with a MAPP gas torch ...do it as quick as possible then quench ..so the heat dosnt have too much time to run further down the coil.......then i set the spring up at 90deg's and ground flat...i did it on my linisher but you can do it on the side of your grinder (bench).........

the pain in the rear bit is fitting a new "O" ring...if you fit it without working on it....it is just too damn tight....so you gently have to sand off some of the thickness....that is the tricky bit

if it is too tight..........................= too much drag

if it is too slack.........................= to much blow back

grease will help...but after a while it will burn off.....

Yeh you have to work quick! or use a heat sink to not over temper the steel.

not posting anything else on this post until i have sorted this weird problem..............the 177 and 22 merc are both the same...yet when i fit the spring to the 22 ....everything fine and dandy..........but when i fit the same spring to the 177 it wont fit ...it becomes spring bound...

in the end i take 3 coils off the spring for the 22 and 5 coils off for the 177 .........its really down on power at 6.90ft/lbs..........

so i am waiting for some info from another 22 merc s owner on measurements

ive had a baaad day...............:w00t: