Beretta 693 20 bore

beefman

If you still have the 686, you may be as well hanging on to it. Like most of the popular makers, the earlier guns were the best. I know of a couple of people who are having issues with newer model Beretta and Browning guns and are having to fight to get them sorted under warranty.

30 minutes ago, Westley said:

If you still have the 686, you may be as well hanging on to it. Like most of the popular makers, the earlier guns were the best. I know of a couple of people who are having issues with newer model Beretta and Browning guns and are having to fight to get them sorted under warranty.

Although my experience is still somewhat limited, I'd go a little further and suggest S56 E. I've got me a little cracker from '77 - a right little sleeper - so they're out there to be had. Actually got two of the same spec and year - one is for my step-son. This would need the varnish swapped for oil, the checkering given a face lift and the barrels blacked - nothing of consequence - and this then would be as good as t'other.

I prefer the older guns, they're proven they work and are still very nice guns to shoot.

More people I've spoken too are looking for the higher grade older guns from Browning and Beretta. 

If I was looking for a nice 20 bore Beretta it would be a 687 EELL a very nice one can be had for around the same money as the 693. Oy a much much better gun.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I prefer the older guns, they're proven they work and are still very nice guns to shoot.

More people I've spoken too are looking for the higher grade older guns from Browning and Beretta. 

If I was looking for a nice 20 bore Beretta it would be a 687 EELL a very nice one can be had for around the same money as the 693. Oy a much much better gun.

Got a EELL and a SO (both 12), both 10 yr + old,lovely guns!

Are the older Berettas that much better?

Really, I suppose it's down to horses for courses and personal preference. Some 20 years ago I bought a special order 12 687 EELL - OU DT SHS 26" and fixed choke. It weighed a ton and the hand was similar to the handle on Thor's hammer. I can well image it would have suited someone but I now have a Chapuis to the same spec' and it's like comparing a rapier to a cutlass and the rapier is ideal for pigeon. The Italians are currently know for fashion, but I prefer style and the little S56E - same spec' as above except it's 26.5" has it to spare.

1 hour ago, beefman said:

Got a EELL and a SO (both 12), both 10 yr + old,lovely guns!

Are the older Berettas that much better?

The newer 69 series guns use a single pin screw in the action compared to two Inthe 68 series, there have been problems with them on some guns.

Not all are problematic guns, all the overbored barrels are not as good with fiber wad carts as the older nominal bored guns.

Have search online for the problems with new Berettas.

There are some lovely handling 20 bore guns around outside of Berettas. Ceasar Guierini do a nice one, rizini make a very nice round body gun.

I handled a nice eell Beretta 20 bore field and it was no where near to fit me to be able to shoot it, this surprised me as Beretta of the shelf fit well. The Browning Crown 20 was a better feeling gun. 

Try as many as you can would be my advice.

6 hours ago, beefman said:

Had 686 20 for 15 yrs,thinking of upgrading to a 693 this season. Any body any experience good or bad with this model?

I bought a 690 field I in 20b in February and whilst I’ve only put about 2,000 shells through it so far I can’t fault it. It’s a slightly wider action than the 686 series. The woodwork feels slightly larger. I much prefer the English forend over the Schnable one on many 686s. It’s a different beast to my 1989 686 onyx, I wouldn’t call it worse, just different. Like many new guns the woodwork is relatively unfinished, it’s away being oil finished at the moment in time for the game season. Try and hold onto the 686 as well if you can😁