985 pigeons in a day

Mightymariner

I am sure many of you are on FB and possibly members of woodpigeon groups there, if so you may have seen a post this week about a mammoth day's pigeon shooting.

Two men, 985 pigeons,11-7pm, on barley stubble.

I can't quite get my head round the figures: shooting that many, the rate of shots, how many pigeons there must be in that area, how exhausted they must be after that.

Apparently Chris Green has made a film of the day, so you may be able to watch it at some stage.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

On average that’s 2 pigeons killed a minute for 8 hours. Is that even possible? Not for me and I think I would have probably given up after 2 hours. Red letter day for sure.

The average shot (person) kill to cartridge is around 1 bird killed for every 2 cartridges, if that person shoots 200 or 300 hundred pigeons that’s around 400 to 600 hundred cartridges, if they are good shots and take most of the birds over the decoys then the number of birds killed would be a lot higher, now double that number with 2 good shooter and the possibility they were using semi autos and you can see how they reached that number of killed birds.

I have seen similar fields over the years where the birds are suicidal and even the sound of the gun does not stop them.

4 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Anthony is a top shot not just at decoyed birds but consistent at long ranges too. He'll be consistently at 8 or 9 kills per 10 shots.

He prepares for each day and would have had plenty of cartridges with him if he'd had seen the numbers coming in.

Proper red letter day.

yeah its not out the ordinary for Anthony poolman to do that, hes a prolific pigeon shooter 

2 hours ago, Mightymariner said:

I am sure many of you are on FB and possibly members of woodpigeon groups there, if so you may have seen a post this week about a mammoth day's pigeon shooting.

Two men, 985 pigeons,11-7pm, on barley stubble.

I can't quite get my head round the figures: shooting that many, the rate of shots, how many pigeons there must be in that area, how exhausted they must be after that.

Apparently Chris Green has made a film of the day, so you may be able to watch it at some stage.

That is certainly a lot of pigeons , would that be a new record for two people shooting ? 

I agree that when you put all the ingredients together to produce a bag like that is how many people could actually do the same ? , I know I couldn't at my age and you would need to pretty fit to shoot like that for 7 / 8 hours and then the massive pick up at the end , not a day for the faint hearted but well done to those involved . 

That's an incredible number of pigeons to a prolific pigeon shooter , the Chris Green film will be worth a view. The only thing I would have a concern with is to comply with the Hunter I.D. Licence some of those birds must have been overheated prior to going to the game dealer and food chain. That's not sour grapes but an observation 

1 hour ago, JRDS said:

Great idea posting that on Facebook after all the issues we have had with the GL and the fact it will be reviewed again for 2020, moronic madness.

To be fair the other side of the coin is that it proves the pressure the country's farmers are under coping with pigeon trouble. I mean if two shooters can kill nearly 1000 pigeon in a single day then their numbers clearly need controlling. 

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:17, The gouse said:

Nick Bevis checkley wood shoot shot 907 with a 410 in 2005 over OSR just the one gun. You can view it on Facebook.

7 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Think Archie Coates (who I had the pleasure to shoot with) still holds the individual record at 550 in a day.

I was there when myself Archie, Philip Fussel, and Peter Osbourne shot 1917 on 1 field in a day back in 1989.

On that day individually Archie and Philip probably shot 600 each.

55 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Pretty sure Archie's record has been beaten, first by George Digweed who shot 661

2 people who bettered archie coates  just on this thread i'm sure there will be more