985 pigeons in a day

Mightymariner

On 20/07/2019 at 09:11, Mightymariner said:

Two men, 985 pigeons,11-7pm, on barley stubble.

I would estimate that this number is an underestimate for the the birds killed and picked up,.....also for those that did not get picked up......oh, and may as well add in those squabs sittin'  in a nest waitin' for their parent to come and feed them? AH well, at least there's no starvin' farmers around and about. Pass the hat please....AAAaaargh!

Just sayin'.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, harkom said:

I would estimate that this number is an underestimate for the the birds killed and picked up,.....also for those that did not get picked up......oh, and may as well add in those squabs sittin'  in a nest waitin' for their parent to come and feed them? AH well, at least there's no starvin' farmers around and about. Pass the hat please....AAAaaargh!

Just sayin'.

As I have said to others who post in a similar vein please put up links to some of your shooting posts so that I can ascertain whether you are an anti or not.

2 hours ago, harkom said:

Just sayin'.

do you shoot pigeons ?

4 hours ago, harkom said:

Just sayin'.

What is your point?

Both parents feed the young.

11 hours ago, yickdaz said:

do you shoot pigeons ?

yes, ....but not during the nesting season... just as i do not shoot pheasants, partridges, duck, geese in the nesting season.

10 hours ago, motty said:

What is your point?

Both parents feed the young.

"just sayin' "

but if you have to ask, you'll never see the point?

38 minutes ago, harkom said:

yes, ....but not during the nesting season... just as i do not shoot pheasants, partridges, duck, geese in the nesting season.

There pests and obviously from the amount killed on the day in plague proportions in that area 

would you not trap a rat or a mink in the breeding season? 

1 hour ago, harkom said:

I don't know anybody that does  that either, completely different where pigeons are concerned plus they breed all year round 

17 hours ago, harkom said:

Just sayin'.

I agree, sort of. However we are past that part of the year now. The majority of squabs should of have left the nest.

31 minutes ago, zipdog said:

I agree, sort of. However we are past that part of the year now. The majority of squabs should of have left the nest.

I think right now is the peak of the breeding "season". I would expect to see more youngsters on the wing in the next month or two.

8 minutes ago, motty said:

I think r635131051814ight now is the peak of the breeding "season". I would expect to see more youngsters on the wing in the next month or two.

From practical experience I normally find they are always earlier than most people think, but im not going to argue the case, as said before, they have a habit of breading all year round. 

With a record , or very close to the record for two people shooting you are not going to please everyone , you will get the envious , the jealous , the ones who would like to do it but wouldn't have the skill in both field craft and with a shotgun , ( as one of the people is said to be a top clay shot and would average 8 / 9 out of ten ) and then the ones like the above posts who think shooting that many over stubble and at the height of the breeding season is wrong .

At the end of the day this is a open forum for people to voice there opinion , some will like it and some wont, as long as it is kept clean at least we will find what peoples thought's are on shooting this huge bag of pigeons .

18 hours ago, motty said:

I think right now is the peak of the breeding "season". I would expect to see more youngsters on the wing in the next month or two.

Yep, July and August pigeons are at their peak breeding time, come September/October there will be gangs of young birds zipping around the woods and fields.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Yep, July and August pigeons are at their peak breeding time, come September/October there will be gangs of young birds zipping around the woods and fields.

If by going by the amount of young pigeons I have shot over the last couple of weeks , we are certainly going to see a lot of young birds about from now onward's .

6 hours ago, JDog said:

Almost half the pigeons MM and I shot yesterday were young ones. Their parents will be onto another brood by now. Crops will be under sustained and increased attack from now on with pigeon numbers increasing as they are.

I wouldn't say the young ones I have been getting would have been half the days bag but certainly getting on towards a third , we haven't shot a Pigeon on the rape stubble's yet and that is when I see the most of this years hatch , when we go tomorrow we will count the young and see what proportion of the bag they come to , 

Might well be the young ones are not street wise yet and come in to the pattern come what may and therefor get shot at , where the older ones might be a bit more selective and avoid a set up that don't look quite right with say the glare from the sun, or a number of other minor reasons .

On 31/07/2019 at 19:20, marsh man said:

With a record , or very close to the record for two people shooting you are not going to please everyone , you will get the envious , the jealous , the ones who would like to do it but wouldn't have the skill in both field craft and with a shotgun , ( as one of the people is said to be a top clay shot and would average 8 / 9 out of ten ) and then the ones like the above posts who think shooting that many over stubble and at the height of the breeding season is wrong .

At the end of the day this is a open forum for people to voice there opinion , some will like it and some wont, as long as it is kept clean at least we will find what peoples thought's are on shooting this huge bag of pigeons .

well said, sir.

Social Media.... a blessing and a pain..

Posting pictures of large numbers of shot pigeons if put across correctly will show the large problem the land has with pigeons   It will show that the crops needed protecting and that the requirement for the GL is essential.  

We must remember that the woodpigeon population is increasing and shooting over stubbles is in fact one of the best times to make an impact on pigeon numbers.

I can see why some may think it could be turned against us as gloating, but a few words can rectify this such as a pigeons crop can hold 1000 grains of wheat and it will digest that overnight and do the same again tomorrow.. 

We are not a shrinking minority, we are growing - there are more people who shoot now than ever before.

We must be seen to be undertaking essential crop control for the right reasons, this message needs to get out to the wider audience who in most cases do not even give it a second thought, but once educated they will understand, they may not shoot but they will have no reason to oppose it. and for those of you who will say this is not crop protection then I question your understanding of the ethics of pigeon shooting. 

We should - be informing all at every opportunity.  a picture says a thousand words after all..

Everything we say and do can be turned against us, is that really any reason not to do or say what you believe and know to be right? 

Stop Hiding! your bubbles will not stop the opposing people - post pictures back them up with informative facts !

BW

TB

Edited by Terry2016

3 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

Social Media.... a blessing and a pain..

Posting pictures of large numbers of shot pigeons if put across correctly will show the large problem the land has with pigeons   It will show that the crops needed protecting and that the requirement for the GL is essential.  

We must remember that the woodpigeon population is increasing and shooting over stubbles is in fact one of the best times to make an impact on pigeon numbers.

I can see why some may think it could be turned against us as gloating, but a few words can rectify this such as a pigeons crop can hold 1000 grains of wheat and it will digest that overnight and do the same again tomorrow.. 

We are not a shrinking minority, we are growing - there are more people who shoot now than ever before.

We must be seen to be undertaking essential crop control for the right reasons, this message needs to get out to the wider audience who in most cases do not even give it a second thought, but once educated they will understand, they may not shoot but they will have no reason to oppose it. and for those of you who will say this is not crop protection then I question your understanding of the ethics of pigeon shooting. 

We should - be informing all at every opportunity.  a picture says a thousand words after all..

Everything we say and do can be turned against us, is that really any reason not to do or say what you believe and know to be right? 

Stop Hiding! your bubbles will not stop the opposing people - post pictures back them up with informative facts !

BW

TB

well said sir