Good semi auto for clays ?

1 hour ago, Doitwithstyle said:

Hi all 

looking for a new gun .

want to go back to semi auto . 

Any one know of one that can take the lighter loads with ease ? 

Thanks 

What do you consider lighter loads?

28g is lighter compared to game carts shooting 32-36g or even duck loads. 

If you only shoot clays then 21g might be what you consider light.

most semis SHOULD shoot 28g carts as long as you get 70mm long cases. 

Some of the males are doing 65 and 67mm cases which can cause problems for some. I know a few lads who couldn’t shoot them in their semis as they failed to cycle, and some semis don’t get enough energy/gas back from 21g to cycle. 

Although apparently some changing of springs may solve this. 

Ive also seen some lads say they can adjust the gas ports and had better success cycling light loads after. 

Last year i picked up a Beretta 302A for a bargain price ,got it mainly for walks around local bunny habitats .

I use it for clays now and again and it cycles 24g with no problems whatsoever,importantly with all semi autos keeping them clean is absolutely essential.

My Beretta 303 cycles 24gm Cheddite without problems.

Having had quite a few semi auto's over the years, including current models of Winchester and Beretta, I keep going back to my 30 year old Beretta 303. It is the most reliable and the easiest to clean of any of the gas operated guns. After the usual weekend 50 birder, it takes around 20 minutes to clean the gun. After every 5/6 outings it gets a full strip clean. It cycles 24 gm and even some 21 gm loads,  without a problem. I have a 1/4 Briley extended choke in it and it stays in for everything I use the gun for.

Edited by Westley

Benelli SuperSport is the best clay shooting semi auto there is.

You can change the recoil spring to shoot very light loads but they shoot  24g no problems.

Don't need cleaning everytime you shoot.

Mine doesn't get stripped fully untill it's shot 500 or more now. I've learned to just wipe out the action and pull a bore snake through  the barrel, small drop of oil on rails before taking out to shoot again.

Both of my semi autos (Beretta 391 and a 30 year old 303) cycle 24 gm Eley Olympic Blues without any problem. 

I think the length of the cartridge is important, light loads in 65 and 67 mm cases seem to jam before they slide into the chamber the Olympic blues are in a 70 mm case.

11 hours ago, figgy said:

Benelli SuperSport is the best clay shooting semi auto there is.

You can change the recoil spring to shoot very light loads but they shoot  24g no problems.

Don't need cleaning everytime you shoot.

Mine doesn't get stripped fully untill it's shot 500 or more now. I've learned to just wipe out the action and pull a bore snake through  the barrel, small drop of oil on rails before taking out to shoot again.

i have the same benelli as figgy and like he says it's a great clay gun 24g no problem at all not to heavy and swings through lovely, not the cheapest auto but certainly one of the best

On 23/07/2019 at 16:16, cookoff013 said:

my montefeltro struggles with less than 24g. 

Cook you can buy a softer recoil spring to shoot light loads. Just have to be careful not to put big punchy loads through without changing spring back.