Decent muntjac buck

Dunkield

Yes a beast and a half !

I've seen loads on my bits but nothing like that, and not shot one yet thats not been in velvet. 

Out 1st thing tomorrow after a buck, that's been seen 3 times now on the same route, same time. 

They ruin so many drives on the shoot tney need thinning out a bit. 

That may turn out to be a good buck but very often they do look huge when in velvet BUT I think I would lay money on that one. Looks a reasonable age and also looks like he has broken one tusk off.  Like everything they can become a nuisance if they get overstocked, just need proper management.  I love 'em in the flesh and on the plate.

I had two in my patch that had better heads, a better body weight than him, but haven’t seen for about a year now. Having said that I have two gold medal shoulder mounts in the house I am not sure we need any more 🙂

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

That may turn out to be a good buck but very often they do look huge when in velvet BUT I think I would lay money on that one. Looks a reasonable age and also looks like he has broken one tusk off. 

Yes he looks like he has been in a scrap or two, missing tusk and a chipped ear - looks relatively young to me?

The curve in those antlers makes me think it could be quite decent once clean. 

Great shame they didn't up the anti 30-35yrs ago and raise the bar for medals in munties as actually hitting gold today is not a big deal, there must be hundreds wandering about out there.

This was an interesting one. Apologise for the photo but it was 30yrs ago, Oxfordshire.

Would have loved to see that one in velvet.

001.JPG

Edited by Walker570

Although clearly a clunker, the fact it is so asymmetric would mark it down scoring wise. My last one wasn’t that remarkable but was almost perfectly symmetrical so lost very few CIC points as a result.

Of course a medal isn’t a medal until it is scored officially. The term ‘medal’ gets overused to describe what is sometimes just a decent sized buck. 

Edited by Dunkield