Browning Liberty Light removing auto safety?

The Mighty Prawn

Friend bought one of these for clays and was assured no auto safety, short story it came with auto safe and the shop want £80 to remove the function - she explained how she specifically asked to not have auto safe as it’s clays only but the shop are not budging (Ian coleys so you might expect better)

question is I’m reasonably happy with some tinkering, have changed firing pins etc but is removing an auto safe an absolute nightmare of a job and best left to a professional?

cant find anywhere how to do it which suggests it’s beyond my abilities but thought I’d ask the massive anyway

3 minutes ago, Swinton said:

Why remove it just remember to take it off .its there for a reason 

Yes, so that you can forget to put it off and lose a target  !  If the gun is used solely for clays there is no reason to have a safety catch on it. My clay guns are in the cabinet and the safety catches are off. Some clay guns do not even have a safety catch.

And then when the clay shooters shoot game .......most of them still don’t use the ruddy safety catch! One of my pet hates, seeing people who want to stand on a drive with the gun broken and when a bird comes close the barrels to the stock as they mount the gun. Straight through the beating line.

If you bought it from a shop then I would have thought they would have taken the auto safe out FOC.But as most shops these days wouldn't know how to take the stock off I'm not surprised.

Its not difficult if you know how and does involve removal of main springs and the trigger so you can access the retaining peg . Not a job for the DIY man or woman unless you have the confidence and the right drifts /punches . For a gunsmith it should take about 15 minutes. 

I am not advocating not using the safety. Just saying some people learn as part of their routine to put the safety on as they take the gun out out their shoulder. The thing is if putting the safety on is part of your drill you are actually safer than an auto safety as the safety is on before the gun is broken.

David.

8 minutes ago, London Best said:

And then when the clay shooters shoot game .......most of them still don’t use the ruddy safety catch! One of my pet hates, seeing people who want to stand on a drive with the gun broken and when a bird comes close the barrels to the stock as they mount the gun. Straight through the beating line.

My game guns have auto safes, NOT that any safety catches do a lot,  they have yet to develop a safety catch that prevents stupidity  !

Most of the accidental discharges that I have witnessed, have never involved a safety catch. Strange that you should mention clay shooters shooting game, IF I have occasion to speak to anyone about their gun handling at a clay ground, they are nearly always 'game shooters'. If the OP is happier to use a gun with a manual safe, then THAT is what she should do.

29 minutes ago, London Best said:

I would say on the whole clay shooters show a better standard of safety than game shooters, and before you ask I shoot game and not clays!

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

Nobody should RELY on a safety catch, but I have yet to see anyone with a non-auto safety catch that ever uses it. 

I use it all of the time when using my semi auto in the field, BUT it stays off when I am shooting clays. It is only the same as the transition between single and double triggers, some find it almost impossible.

50 minutes ago, button said:

I would say on the whole clay shooters show a better standard of safety than game shooters, and before you ask I shoot game and not clays!

I quite agree with you and I shoot both, but in future I will take comfort from the fact that the safety catch will likely be on, when I am looking down the barrels of a game shooters gun  !

I have had guns pointed at me by both clay and game shooters, so I’m not really sure who has the monopoly on that. Just last weekend I was shooting in a charity shoot at Thirne, and a very nice lady pointed her self loader right at me as she left the stand. 🙂

Her husband was using a OU, and despite being a good shot, didn’t have a clue how to return his gun to its slip....I see this on both game and clay days. 

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have had guns pointed at me by both clay and game shooters, so I’m not really sure who has the monopoly on that. Just last weekend I was shooting in a charity shoot at Thirne, and a very nice lady pointed her self loader right at me as she left the stand. 🙂

Her husband was using a OU, and despite being a good shot, didn’t have a clue how to return his gun to its slip....I see this on both game and clay days. 

AND I'll bet the safety catch was OFF   😯

At least he was using a slip.  Most seem to use their gun as a scarf substitute    !    ???

Edited by Westley

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

I could see the gun was empty, but that’s not the point really. 

I’m not too fussed how people carry their guns between stands.

Neither am I really, but it hurts when a stock smacks you around ear  !     😄

I shot one day last season on a small walk-up/knockabout day. Three of the other guests were from a gun dealers. Each of them loaded his gun as soon as it came out of his car and placed it, broken but loaded, over his shoulder. Their guns were carried like that the whole day except when expecting a shot, even throughout elevenses. At one point one of them handed me his gun to climb a fence. I took the opportunity to upend it and tip his two cartridges in the mud. He sort of got the message and didn’t hand me a loaded gun again, but continued to stand chatting with the gun held the same way all day.  Unacceptable? Is it just me or is this OK behaviour for the modern clay/game shot?

PS I won’t be going again!

10 hours ago, London Best said:

I shot one day last season on a small walk-up/knockabout day. Three of the other guests were from a gun dealers. Each of them loaded his gun as soon as it came out of his car and placed it, broken but loaded, over his shoulder. Their guns were carried like that the whole day except when expecting a shot, even throughout elevenses. At one point one of them handed me his gun to climb a fence. I took the opportunity to upend it and tip his two cartridges in the mud. He sort of got the message and didn’t hand me a loaded gun again, but continued to stand chatting with the gun held the same way all day.  Unacceptable? Is it just me or is this OK behaviour for the modern clay/game shot?

PS I won’t be going again!

A rough shoot? We carry our guns when out rough shooting loaded but broken; standard practice. I wouldn’t personally carry mine over the shoulder over uneven terrain, as you can discover it’s empty when you come to use it. 

hello, i could tell you more horror stories than hammer films produced, when did it become the norm for clay shooting shotguns to have no auto safety,  and relying  on the user to remember to return the safety catch? i suppose it is what you have been use to but i can see the advantage for clay pigeon shooting more so in competitions, i am old school so always have auto safety,  

16 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Friend bought one of these for clays and was assured no auto safety, short story it came with auto safe and the shop want £80 to remove the function - she explained how she specifically asked to not have auto safe as it’s clays only but the shop are not budging (Ian coleys so you might expect better)

question is I’m reasonably happy with some tinkering, have changed firing pins etc but is removing an auto safe an absolute nightmare of a job and best left to a professional?

cant find anywhere how to do it which suggests it’s beyond my abilities but thought I’d ask the massive anyway

hello, having had past dealings with Coley gun shop, if your friend was told the gun had no auto safety as they wanted and then found not the case, Coley gunshop should pay or do this work, 

Each to their own, but can anyone tell me what purpose the safety on a shotgun serves, or to put it another way, what advantage the presence of a safety has over none being present? 

Im not being deliberately awkward, but the question of safeties rears it’s head quite often, and I am genuinely interested to discover what situation anyone could possibly be in, where that safety prevents them shooting anyone, or even a negligent discharge. 

Edited by Scully
spelling.