Browning Liberty Light removing auto safety?

The Mighty Prawn

As you already know, a safety catch only locks the trigger/s. That in itself could possibly prevent a negligent discharge in the event of a trigger being accidentally tapped or caught by something. Someone has already pointed out that no safety catch can compensate for stupidity. I think, better to have one and use it than not. Belt and braces sort of thing. In the final analysis, muzzle awareness is everything.

Thanks for the replies, looks like a smith job rather than a DIY job

to answer why she doesn’t want the auto safety, it is only ever a clay gun and completely as someone else mentioned, having to flick the safety off every time is a minor inconvenience and some targets have been lost as a result. I’m not reinventing the wheel or anything, just trying to remove something that is not needed - think of it as a gun appendectomy! 😎

2 hours ago, London Best said:

As you already know, a safety catch only locks the trigger/s. That in itself could possibly prevent a negligent discharge in the event of a trigger being accidentally tapped or caught by something. Someone has already pointed out that no safety catch can compensate for stupidity. I think, better to have one and use it than not. Belt and braces sort of thing. In the final analysis, muzzle awareness is everything.

Your comment is largely correct if talking of side by sides .In the majority of current O/U's  ,the safe pulls the inertia block back so that it does not come into contact with the sears .This may be in conjunction with other ways of stopping the trigger from being pulled but will not lock the sears .  [Some O/Us have additional safety features such as a half cock bent on the hammer . ] There exceptions but a safe , if fitted correctly and in good order should prevent a gun from going off or being accidentally discharged .

This should never under any circumstance totally relied on or take the place of good gun safe handling practice .

Biggest danger  IMHO is , if a person used to having a gun with an auto safe uses a gun without one then extra care must be taken . 

Thank you Gunman, I admit to not knowing how the safety on an O/U worked, never had one to bits. 

What I think is sad, being old school, is that people are being taught to shoot and not taught that the safety catch is on before you load the chambers and is pushed off as part of the gun mount. Years ago that was the only acceptable way.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

There you go. Paramount. It is the only consideration anyone ever needs.