Home grown again

team tractor

We just grow Swiss chard , leaks and broad beans these days, with a couple of marrow plants and courgettes. Have reduced my veg  garden to a quarter its original size.  I can buy a large bag of shallots , enough to last a full season for £6 so for two of us it really is a no brainer.   BUT I agree, nothing quite like eating your home own grown.

Don't go short of apples this next autumn. You know where we are.

Edited by Walker570

52 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

We just grow Swiss chard , leaks and broad beans these days, with a couple of marrow plants and courgettes. Have reduced my veg  garden to a quarter its original size.  I can buy a large bag of shallots , enough to last a full season for £6 so for two of us it really is a no brainer.   BUT I agree, nothing quite like eating your home own grown.

Don't go short of apples this next autumn. You know where we are.

Any cooking apples ? 

My mum bakes for us if I supply her

James Grieve, Worcester Permain, Bramley, Russet,  Spartan, take your choice.  Bramley take some beating stuffed with honey and sultanas, James Grieve maybe second, Worcester Permain running close. Spartan and Russet are superb in crumbles and pies.  I'll nudge you when they are ready.  We have a lot converted into cider locally and also the pears into pearsecco and that at 12.5 % is a nice drink. 

If your into making jellies then I have two superb crab apples for just that.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

James Grieve, Worcester Permain, Bramley, Russet,  Spartan, take your choice.  Bramley take some beating stuffed with honey and sultanas, James Grieve maybe second, Worcester Permain running close. Spartan and Russet are superb in crumbles and pies.  I'll nudge you when they are ready.  We have a lot converted into cider locally and also the pears into pearsecco and that at 12.5 % is a nice drink. 

If your into making jellies then I have two superb crab apples for just that.

How is your crop this year?

Mine is poor apart from Grieves, Discovery and Spartan. Heard similar tales from others too 

I’m blaming it on last years drought. 

12 hours ago, 39TDS said:

How is your crop this year?

Mine is poor apart from Grieves, Discovery and Spartan. Heard similar tales from others too 

I’m blaming it on last years drought. 

Well, when we had that cold wet spell and the blossom was fully out we thought this year would be bad BUT we have four hives 100yrds away and it appears they got their brollies out and thick jumpers because all of our trees are laden.  One pear tree that we had to lift up and support last year hasn't produced but not surprising. The other pears did well and looks like we will get another good crop of walnuts and Kentish Cobs as well. Plum trees have also done well.  Our Spartan and Worcester Permain are hanging on the ground already and will need some support to prevent branches breaking.  We pick and freeze what we need ourselves, friends come and have some as well and then a young guy who has started making cider and pearsecco commercially collects the rest, usually a trailer load.  We get a few bottles in return.

Edited by Walker570

12 hours ago, team tractor said:

Stones or dry ground I was told. Adds to the flavour  I always leave the skins on 

Ah thanks for that - it just so happens I've had a major stone removal border dig last week, just can't fathom why there were so many small stones and assume the builders added them to to the soil/backfill of the rear garden. Mrs-G would be not able to leave the spots on them. :ermm:

Shouldn't be an issue next time we do spuds there as the soil to below shovel depth has now gone through a 10mm sieve.

Edited by Dave-G

On 21/07/2019 at 11:40, Walker570 said:

Well, when we had that cold wet spell and the blossom was fully out we thought this year would be bad BUT we have four hives 100yrds away and it appears they got their brollies out and thick jumpers because all of our trees are laden.  One pear tree that we had to lift up and support last year hasn't produced but not surprising. The other pears did well and looks like we will get another good crop of walnuts and Kentish Cobs as well. Plum trees have also done well.  Our Spartan and Worcester Permain are hanging on the ground already and will need some support to prevent branches breaking.  We pick and freeze what we need ourselves, friends come and have some as well and then a young guy who has started making cider and pearsecco commercially collects the rest, usually a trailer load.  We get a few bottles in return.

Good to hear it. Mine are far from a full crop but are looking better all the time as they get bigger. Damned birds are starting to take an interest and are eating my Discovery.

Fingers crossed for no more hail storms at the end of this hot spell.

Hoping to pick 30 tons at least. Haven't figured out how or where to put them yet.