Wasp nest

walshie

We have hollow cast iron pillars holding up our side porch. One of them has a small hole near the top, about big enough to stick my little finger into, and there are a  lot of wasps going in and out, so I assume they have made a nest in the pillar. 

My idea is to wait till after dark when they are less active and fill it with expanding foam.

Pros and cons please.

1 minute ago, walshie said:

I don't think it's a very big nest, so I'll give them half a can of raid, followed by some decent crawling insect powder round the hole and a bit of bluetack over it tonight to let the raid do its stuff. 

Be careful blocking the hole, they may find another point to exit!.......Into the room! A residual insect spray or powder will contaminate the nest if you leave them free to enter and exit, as well as kill the wasps....so should do the job! Block the hole when there is no more activity.

38 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Pour petrol in and fill the pillar until it runs out the top then light. No more wasps. Or pillar. Or possibly house. Probably any killer is better but petrol is so much more fun 😂😂

This is the best option ^^^^😂

or a blow torch and warm them up a bit 🤭

however my personal preference would be a small caliber shotgun and shoot them one at a time 🙄😊

obviously posting pictures of the slain on packmans web page 😂 

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

This is the best option ^^^^😂

or a blow torch and warm them up a bit 🤭

however my personal preference would be a small caliber shotgun and shoot them one at a time 🙄😊

obviously posting pictures of the slain on packmans web page 😂 

It is great fun. When staying with friends in Texas I had an evening on the porch with his two sons and a low pressure pump air gun..no sights... points for a hit on any insect which may bite or sting. Black widows counted 10 if I remember.  I know a scorpion was one victim.

Just give the hole a real good squirt of Raid or similar, should do the job.  If in doubt I can come across with my 17HMR:shoot:

Cheers for the advice. Late last night I went up the steps, headtorch on and Raid in hand, to see a sentry wasp standing on the hole staring at me. I emptied what was left of our can of Raid into his face and kept spraying till the can was almost empty. I expected a load of wasps to come flying out, but they didn't. A liberal sprinkling of insect powder in and around the hole and a hasty retreat.

Today - nothing. Could it really have been that easy?

1 hour ago, walshie said:

Cheers for the advice. Late last night I went up the steps, headtorch on and Raid in hand, to see a sentry wasp standing on the hole staring at me. I emptied what was left of our can of Raid into his face and kept spraying till the can was almost empty. I expected a load of wasps to come flying out, but they didn't. A liberal sprinkling of insect powder in and around the hole and a hasty retreat.

Today - nothing. Could it really have been that easy?

Raid does have an instant knockdown effect, when sprayed directly into the nest. It probably has a residual effect too? Whatever It will contaminate the nest and those wasps in it.....the residual insecticide powder will mop up any going in and out of the hole!

The nest probably isnt that big just now, with not too many wasps in residence, it would be bigger and more active in the autumn......so destroying it could be quite quick?...just keep your eye on it for any activity.

Does that guy not know dead wasps can still sting?

Nippon Wasps Nest Destroyer is very good. Comes out of the can like silly string and you can get the nest from about 10' away. Completely dead within hours.

In past years I have strong suspicions that a nest killed late in the season can still hatch queens.