robot mower

oowee

Mate bought one for £2.5k installed. His has been running for a year but his lawn is not so big and I think he paid too much. They range from £1k upto £15k. Sounds a lot but the ride on was £4.5k plus £1k for a walk behind and a lot of time spent mowing. 

Lawn needs doing twice a week to mulch (cant handle taking the grass off) and takes about 3 hrs a go. Robot can work at night, if weather is not so great and when I am away. I am wondering if one large is best or two smaller ones operating on the different lawns. 

I stayed at a B & B in Yorkshire, they had around an acre between 2 lawns, they have been using a Husqvarna 450X for around 12 months. They simply move it between lawns as required. I have to say that it certainly did a great job and the lawns looked really neat. It was going 24/7 apart from taking itself off for a recharge. Brilliant idea for the 'larger' lawn. I do have some photographs, but I struggle to put them on here.

Ex neighbours had one. They were paying me 20 quid a pop to know the lawn once a week which filled a nice 40 minutes before the school run. Did their substantial lawn well, kept it nearly as tight as having a flock of sheep on it. But it just looked short not nicely mowed if that makes sense. Couldn't cope with leaves off the trees and apples were a huge inconvenience for it. I wouldnt have one but it suited them.

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Lawn needs doing twice a week to mulch (cant handle taking the grass off) and takes about 3 hrs a go. Robot can work at night, if weather is not so

I was thinking wow who would pay that for a robot mower but three hours a time would sure add up over the year.

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I was thinking wow who would pay that for a robot mower but three hours a time would sure add up over the year.

Add in £8 fuel a week for the mowers over (say) 30 weeks is £240 add mower service at £380 a year (plus I have to take it there on trailer) £620. At £2k say the mower will have paid for itself in a little over 3 years, let alone the saving in time. I can sell the ride on for about £2k, just keep the walk behind for tidying. 🙂

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Mate bought one for £2.5k installed. His has been running for a year but his lawn is not so big and I think he paid too much. They range from £1k upto £15k. Sounds a lot but the ride on was £4.5k plus £1k for a walk behind and a lot of time spent mowing. 

Lawn needs doing twice a week to mulch (cant handle taking the grass off) and takes about 3 hrs a go. Robot can work at night, if weather is not so great and when I am away. I am wondering if one large is best or two smaller ones operating on the different lawns. 

3 problems in my opinion.

1. You need app 2xlawn size in mower capacity.

2. Can't really handle any slope except for the 4WD types, gets stuck.

3. Most important one, they blind/kill hedgehogs, if I undestand in correctly there is some kind of radar that detects them on some never models?

So if you have a very big lawn with some sloping areas it may not be possible to have just 1 and they will have to be top of the line = expensive. Concerning the hedgehogs I would require proof of the radar working before I would let the mower work at dawn/dusk/night.

/Markus

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Mates got an iMow called Geoff, goes out each evening for a few hours and does a great job of his garden and it's not sa small area. 

when they do a mower called mabel...and it puts the bin out on a sunday night in the rain...and cooks and cleans the toilet ...i will buy one...

I’ve installed several husqvarna auto mowers and they are all working well. Main issues are boundary wire breakage due to rabbits or hamfisted gardeners.

They do not murder hedgehogs (where does this rubbish come from?). They have ultra sonic proximity detectors to slow them down then impact sensors to stop and change direction. Incidentally, there is anecdotal evidence that they deter moles.

They can struggle with slopes and wet grass but there are all terrain wheels or the awd model to cope with that.

I have the Flymo one, around £599 unless you can get it from Amazon on one of their deal days. Is it any good, yep, bloody brilliant. My lawn was relaid 3 years ago and its never seen a 'proper' lawn mower. I was at a blokes house the other day who has worked repairing lawn mowers for many years, and he has one in his back garden, he has had it for a couple of years and says his lawn has never looked better.

We did some work at a big house , big garden all lawn and fancy boarders .

24/7 robot mower , just a bit of time off for a recharge . Lovely job it did .

When they used the garden they sent the mower back to it's hutch with an app on the phone .

I am thinking its the way for me to go. I have a path that divides my lawns into two and i am not sure one would cross it but the lawn that side is only about 800 m2 so I could get a smaller one from that side. Thanks for the feed back. 👍