Don't Want To Go Faster

wymberley

But would if anyone can recommend anything that works, like to clean up the new to me car petrol injection system. It's a 1.8 tsi Yeti with 60k on the clock. Obviously, I have no idea what it's been fed on up to now - possibly some of Tesco's finest. Don't  know ( it's a long time since a generous dash of OM 15 in the plug hole was the best solution to many problems and the fuel was leaded then), but was thinking perhaps of STP high mileage fuel injector cleaner or similar on an ongoing basis. Advice, please.

Many thanks.

Best stuff I've used on a diesel was cataclean.

On a petrol a product called DAE system cleanser.  I bought two ran the tank down near empty. Drained the fuel filter if petrol and filled with DAE, ran engine till it splutters and then switch off left for an hour then turned key till it started and ran smooth. Drive for thirty miles or so and fill.up as normal. Worked  very well.

With a petrol engine with forced induction, feed it high octane from shell, bp or esso.  2 tanks worth and you'll see the benefits. Probably much sooner. 

I don't know if they still do it but Tesco did have a 99 ron fuel that was good too. 

No turbo likes 95 ron and modern engines  retard the timing to compensate for the increased knock. 

2 hours ago, GingerCat said:

With a petrol engine with forced induction, feed it high octane from shell, bp or esso.  2 tanks worth and you'll see the benefits. Probably much sooner. 

I don't know if they still do it but Tesco did have a 99 ron fuel that was good too. 

No turbo likes 95 ron and modern engines  retard the timing to compensate for the increased knock. 

That is the plan. Just needed something that supposedly might work to give things an initial purge before running on the Shell 99.

• 1 month later...

Well, can't be bad. Kicked off at about 25.5 mpg around town and on the farm. Chucked in a bottle of Walshie's 4Tech and filled up with Esso 97 octane - forget the Shell, too pricey. Now on the third tankful and I'm now on 27.5. As yet - which is partly why I got shot of the diesel - no long runs, but if I do manage to get into top gear for a bit the figure moves up nicely. Locally, the 8ish% decrease in consumption equates to just a little less than the increase in price for the 97 over the 95 so acceptable. Have to see how it goes.